Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold benefits when flying with SK

Star Alliance Gold benefits when flying with SK

Old Jun 23, 22, 1:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Week of 20 June
As a UA *G traveling SAS class X (Y award) looking for security fast track

ARN - GRANTED (auto checker lit green). 7am weekday, regular security was 45í, fast track less than 5í
CPH - DENIED (both SAS and the airport operated one)
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:44 am

Programs: SK*G
Denied on what basis? Did you try to talk to an agent?
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Is Fast Track supposed to be available for everyone flying on same itin if one is *G? I'm UA *G but my companions are not. I'm flying through OSL in a couple of months.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
Is Fast Track supposed to be available for everyone flying on same itin if one is *G?
No, it's not a published benefit. YMMV depending on the airport.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
the SAS agent guarding the SAS fast track said itís not a benefit of *G. This matches whatís on the SAS website and I was not in danger of missing a flight so I didnít push further. I took the access at ARN as a pleasant surprise
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
the SAS agent guarding the SAS fast track said itís not a benefit of *G. This matches whatís on the SAS website and I was not in danger of missing a flight so I didnít push further. I took the access at ARN as a pleasant surprise
Thanks to both of you. I see now, a SAS Plus or Business fare will qualify, or EuroBonus Gold and Diamond, but not *G (outside of SAS). Never really had an issue with long security lines at OSL even in summer, but this time it may be different...
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My first time of seeing horribly long security lines in Scandinavia was at OSL. I ran into such issues with the security lines in OSL years ago, in a summer around 9-12 years ago, but not since. I can’t say the same thing about ARN and CPH.

Denied on the basis that UA*G and (non-SK) OAL*G in SK economy aren’t entitled to SK fast track security as a Star Alliance Gold benefit.

A waiver being granted — systematically or by manual intervention — is a favor of circumstances rather than an entitlement, and so such passengers can be denied Fast Track and do get hit by the denial of access at times.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 22 at 8:40 am
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Denied on the basis that UA*G and (non-SK) OAL*G in SK economy arenít entitled to SK fast track security as a Star Alliance Gold benefit.
I see. That's pretty shocking to be honest. I know that *A says certain airports are excluded from the Fast Track benefit, but I would never have imagined it could be the case at a major *A hub.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:05 am

I see. That's pretty shocking to be honest. I know that *A says certain airports are excluded from the Fast Track benefit, but I would never have imagined it could be the case at a major *A hub.
I agree. Don't *AG get the UA premier access perk at US airports? For check-in at least, since some have gone away from Premier Access for security.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:08 am

They absolutely do.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
I agree. Don't *AG get the UA premier access perk at US airports? For check-in at least, since some have gone away from Premier Access for security.
Yes. But also for Premier Access security where it is — like at EWR.

UA on the ground treats its OAL*Gs the same as it treats UA*Gs. At least at its own hubs, The same cannot be said of SK because of SK’s approach to Fast Track security screening at even SK’s own hubs.

Does SK have a sort of soft block in economy class for OAL*Gs in SK economy class? It seems to me that SK is better on average with OAL*G seating in economy class than UA — at least when it come to flights with same-day and prior-day purchases of the tickets.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:42 am

I wish I could be shocked by it, but SK has been a decades-old running disappointment in this regard. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was a deliberate product of SK: wanting to try to dissuade home market customers from becoming OAL*Gs instead of being SK*Gs; and/or just being cheap in not wanting to pay up for priority security access for OAL*Gs flying on SK flights out of SK hubs (but not even only just SK hubs).
gojko88 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:32 pm

Programs: SAS EBG / *A Gold, Radisson Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Fast Track is only an alliance benefit where Star Gold track exists. Which shamefully is not the case of any Scandinavian airport. Some *A carriers extend the benefit to all *G flying with them even where Star Gold track doesn't exist, but that's really a goodwill gesture.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:54 pm

This is how cheap SAS is. When ARN first started allowing SK mobile boarding passes to work for accessing fast track security at ARN, all *Gs ó including OAL*Gs ó with such SK boarding passes for SK flights out of ARN could use the fast track security as long as the mobile boarding passes noted Gold status. SK made sure that kind of access was killed off eventually.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The "excuse" was that the CPH SK fast track did not have the capacity to have all Star Alliance airlines use it, hence the no Star Gold logo on it. But that should really not stop them from allowing other star golds flying SK through. That is just a stingy step. But I guess they either pay per passenger, or would over all need to use both lanes for more of the day, and lower costs is a the name of the game.

Search this Thread