Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS | EuroBonus Diamond (EBD) [Experiences and Discussions]

SAS | EuroBonus Diamond (EBD) [Experiences and Discussions]

Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Shouldn't Diamond be EBD?

I recently reached the EuroBonus Diamond level. However on my card it says EBG and not EBD. Is this supposed to be so?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I asked SAS the same question months ago, directly after turning diamond and seeing my status was still EBG. Never got an answer.

As SAS refers to Diamond as EBD frequently, the only two guesses that come to mind are:
a) SAS doesn't have its systems ready for another level and treats the diamond level as a facade for 'something just higher than gold, but basically the same'.
b) in the context of StarAlliance, gold is the only level that matters. Except when flying Asiana, of course, where gold is silver and diamond is gold.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I think it was stated in the official communication, perhaps even in the qualification email, that the letter will remain to be G for a longer period, as it has to do with some issues of staralliance recognizing the numbers. I suppose some partners have some number validation implemented, and they would reject numbers with EBD prefix.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: EBD
I also asked SAS this question (because I noticed that there was no mentioning of Diamond of the passenger manifest), and they got back to me with the answer that sometime in this autumn they will implement the changes, so that Diamond level will differ from Gold.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: SK Diamond
This has been one of the 'issues' with the Diamond level so far, that the recognition has been very poor due to IT-systems in many places not showing the difference between gold and diamond. Hopefully the neccessary changes will be implemented this fall.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:02 am

Ha, the goodie bag has been scrapped down as well. You can select the Concierge service, the EatCard or Storytel.

What should I do with this crap?

All in all the EBD is a huge disappointment - the extra Gold card is nice but hardly justifies qualifying over 50k/year. I do it since my travel pattern allows for it without effort but should I have to make a choice to fly extra to reach the level I wouldn't.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by wazow
it has to do with some issues of staralliance recognizing the numbers.
The most prominent of them being SAS. At some point recently, I was trying to make a booking, logged in during the booking process and was positively surprised to find my (filled out and unchangeable) EB account to be EBD instead of EBG. I wasn't able to complete my booking as I kept getting the error message that my account number was invalid...

So, it's the infamous SAS IT systems that probably form the real bottle neck here.

I furthermore agree with fassy. So far Diamond hasn't had any real added value. Only the extra gold card and the points not expiring anymore are interesting, the rest is just there to distract from the disappointment.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Actually I think the additional 10 percentage point discount on all-availability award flights is also a good perk.

But I agree - there are no "killer" benefits. Give me a couple of upgrade vouchers to C - then we are talking
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:45 pm

I also like the discount. They become quite attractive, if you also take into account that they earn points. I have started to use my points on intra-europe flights, when I need to book last minute. They can get pretty good value.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Took a while.

From late June the new EB-cards for Diamond-members will have the EBD-prefix. Not sure about website etc.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:19 am

Ha, I hope they will not screw it up. I have so many bookings now with EBGxxxxxxxxx in the reservation. I hope they update them automaticly or accept if partner airlines still send in mile credits on the EBG number.

EDIT: already updated on the virtual card in the iPhone App

Last edited by fassy; Jun 24, 2015 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by fassy
EDIT: already updated on the virtual card in the iPhone App
And on the webpage (sas.dk).

Svantevit
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Svantevit
And on the webpage (sas.dk).
Also on sas.se but ironic enough not on https://diamond.flysas.com/overview

I'm really excited what will be marked in the boarding passes and hopefully on the manifest from now on. Will see on Monday, no flight this week for me.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:24 am

Today I got a ticket issued by our TA and my FF number appears with EBD on the PNR document, even though I never told them I am an EBD (it was always shown as EBG until today).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by wazow
Today I got a ticket issued by our TA and my FF number appears with EBD on the PNR document, even though I never told them I am an EBD (it was always shown as EBG until today).
My tickets issued by our corporate TA on Tuesday still show EBG (as I entered in my traveler profile), on businessclass.se someone quoted SAS said they will not update any existing PNR, travelers should make sure their TAs get the updated number in the system but for mile crediting having the old the EBG prefix will not be a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.