Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Cancelling booked EuroBonus ticket (exipired points)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Hi,
I have booked an EuroBonus ticket with points that have expired. SAS has cancelled my flight. I request that my points should be refunded, how long ''extended'' life does my new ''expired'' points have?

Sincerely,

SB
Old May 2, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Hi,
I have booked an EuroBonus ticket with points that have expired. SAS has cancelled my flight. I request that my points should be refunded, how long ''extended'' life does my new ''expired'' points have?

Sincerely,

SB
Do they actually refund expired points? I ALLWAYS assumed they do not? If within the 14 eu261 period I ALLWAYS just. Assumed one had to get eu comp instead...

I wish they would do away with points expiry such a last season thing
Old May 3, 2021, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, EB will refund but the deadline for doing a new booking is relatively short; a couple of weeks as I recall it.

In 2020 my CPH-HKG EB award had significant schedule changes. I called EB, cancelled and was refunded the non-expired points and told to state the PNR/ticket No. when doing a new booking. When I made a new EB booking (by phone) a few days later the expired points were manually deducted from the EB points that I had to pay for the new award ticket. The new ticket was also to HKG so it was the same amount of EB points required (I'm not sure if that made a difference, but it was definitely a new ticket as the PNR No. changed for the new EB award).
Old May 3, 2021, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
Do they actually refund expired points? I ALLWAYS assumed they do not? If within the 14 eu261 period I ALLWAYS just. Assumed one had to get eu comp instead...

I wish they would do away with points expiry such a last season thing
The rule is that expired points are not returned when cancelling, but as described above there are exceptions during the pandemic.
kauppias likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:42 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The rule is that expired points are not returned when cancelling, but as described above there are exceptions during the pandemic.
... and when the airline is effectively cancelling the booking by cancelling one or more flights and not offering any alternatives, they should return the points, even if they had expired. Anything else would be unfair to the traveler.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
... and when the airline is effectively cancelling the booking by cancelling one or more flights and not offering any alternatives, they should return the points, even if they had expired. Anything else would be unfair to the traveler.
Unfortunately, the EU regulation is so stupidly formulated:

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
The (b) and (c) re-routing options are clear: the operating airline (for example SK) has to re-book the passenger on other flights. If the operating airline fails to do so, then the passenger books a new ticket and bills SK for the cost of doing so. However, the (a) refund option states that SK has to refund the passenger in a stupid way:

The compensation referred to in paragraph 1 shall be paid in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques or, with the signed agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and/or other services.
How do you refund Eurobonus points "in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques"? This probably requires setting an exchange rate from Eurobonus points to a normal currency like DKK, NOK or SEK and refunding the converted amount. However, nowhere in the regulation does it say how you should set this exchange rate.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
EU Reg. 261/04 was never drafted with award tickets/non-monetary payments in mind. Subsequently, the regulation is construed to cover also award tickets but the wording itself doesn't really embrace it.
The regulation doesn't require the airline to convert miles/points to money for refund purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.