Wiki Posts
Search

Vacations this year with SAS.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG
Vacations this year with SAS.

Got my email, cheap flights a plenty and status points on offer from SAS this year....apparently

In my wallet a pile of vouchers and points that need to be used before September this year and a desire to not waste my vacation in Scandanavia.

But, having flown all year I dont want to vacation anywhere that needs PCR tests. I am sick of them, to get one I need to go 100 kilometers away two days before and pay 1900SEK and its painful and unpleasent. I have already had so many...please no more.

The masks I can live with, the SAS we hate our customers I can even accept, the dreadful nordroll thing they give me for lunch, the lack of beer ok ok ok.. but the PCR test....no.

So, suggestions please, I think there are none as I looked everywhere that I can think of. Where can I vacation that is sunny and that SAS or code share (so I can use my points and vouchers) that does not need a PCR test and might be nice.

Otherwise, what to do with all these points and vouchers...
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:38 pm

Croatia, Mexico, Tanzania, Costa Rica, and Afghanistan are the ones I know of right now. Turkey's demand for tests is supposed to be lifted today. Panama accepts an antigen test, and you can test on arrival. Flying to Costa Rica can be tricky, as the most obvious way on Star Alliance is with LH.

If you can't find anywhere, I volunteer to relieve you of the points.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

I was watching Croatia via the https://reopen.europa.eu/en link and it still requires a PCR test. I am also watching Turkey as SAS fly to both.

I dont think SAS fly to any of the others...but I guess I could try using the points and vouchers on some other star A member although I have never actually done that so expect a question asking how.

As for handing out the points to a friendly redchilli....nice idea but I did have a look through their points shop and I will buy something from there although I would much prefer to use the points for an adventure.

Ill be super happy if Turkey lifts the demands...
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by nussle
I was watching Croatia via the https://reopen.europa.eu/en link and it still requires a PCR test. I am also watching Turkey as SAS fly to both.

I dont think SAS fly to any of the others...but I guess I could try using the points and vouchers on some other star A member although I have never actually done that so expect a question asking how.
You're right about Croatia. I'm almost 100% sure that the test requirement was not there the last time I checked. At least, Croatia accepts an antigen test.

You can call Eurobonus and make phone bookings for Star Alliance. Currently, you could choose TK or ET to Tanzania, or TK to Mexico to avoid the test requirement.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RedChili
You're right about Croatia. I'm almost 100% sure that the test requirement was not there the last time I checked. At least, Croatia accepts an antigen test.
A Swedish relative of mine residing in Skane flew to Croatia at some point in Q3 2020 IIRC to help with boat shopping I think. [I think it was just to get out of Sweden.] I'm sure the person didn't take any test to get there then.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
With the third wave hitting the rest of the world I doubt you will be able to get anywhere without a test this summer. It looks like vaccinated people will get the test requirement waived soon. What some test centers offer in Germany is to spray you nostrils or throat with a anesthetic before poking you, that supposedly takes away the discomfort. Being poked for a test has become routine here in Germany it doesn't bother me anymore, especially since in Bavaria all tests are free and paid for by the government if you can show residency.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

not too hopeful

Originally Posted by oliver2002
With the third wave hitting the rest of the world I doubt you will be able to get anywhere without a test this summer. It looks like vaccinated people will get the test requirement waived soon. What some test centers offer in Germany is to spray you nostrils or throat with a anesthetic before poking you, that supposedly takes away the discomfort. Being poked for a test has become routine here in Germany it doesn't bother me anymore, especially since in Bavaria all tests are free and paid for by the government if you can show residency.
Apart from the cost, about 200 euro where I am I just hate it. Really hate it, its painful and kinda pointless. I have now had about 30 of them and not one has ever come back anything but negative.

I sort of hoped that Turkey might save me, but it looks that I might be ordering that apple health watch to put on blocket and at least make something from this disaster. Sounds like a vacation is just no going to happen...prob not next year either.

Crotia I keep an eye on but spain/france/portugal I have given up.

cheers, Nussle.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Croatia allows people in with full vaccination....so I booked a nice vacation there 16 days after my final shot.

Still watching Spain and Turkey, if they introduce the same i will book them too.

Portugal is gunna be absolutely "chock a block" with British... not too sure thats for me.

So, if you have your vaccination and your SAS points Croatia is the winner so far.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

With the implementation of the EU pass coming it will be easier to skip the PCR test requirement if you are vaccinated or had covid in the past 6 months.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
With the implementation of the EU pass coming it will be easier to skip the PCR test requirement if you are vaccinated or had covid in the past 6 months.

I think it will move fairly quickly to rapid antigen and this will be either before or on arrival.

The PCR is too complex if you want to actually have a tourist industry, the vaccine will become the standard and if you dont have it a rapid antigen will be just fine.

Those countries that wanna stick to PCR will just loose to the countries that moved on.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
I can't find any info on how different countries are thinking regarding children. It is clear that many countries will let us in if we can prove vaccination status. What about our children who are not even offered vaccines? We have a pre-teen and an early teen, and it is fairly clear that they will not be vaccinated. Does this mean we will be under quarantine / testing rules for them or do they get a pass? Anyone heard anything about this?
Old May 25, 2021, 1:14 am

It's usually listed in Timatic. E.g. for Greece it says that a PCR test is needed, but it does not apply to "passengers younger than 5 years" and "passengers with a covid-19 vaccination certificate stating that they received the vaccine at least 14 days before arrival." So, anobody 5 years or older who's not vaccinated will need a PCR. Other countries have other age limits.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JR67
I can't find any info on how different countries are thinking regarding children. It is clear that many countries will let us in if we can prove vaccination status. What about our children who are not even offered vaccines? We have a pre-teen and an early teen, and it is fairly clear that they will not be vaccinated. Does this mean we will be under quarantine / testing rules for them or do they get a pass? Anyone heard anything about this?
Even within just the Schengen countries, different countries different rules at this point with what happens to families where adults are vaccinated but the kids are not. I would suggest seeing what Timatic indicates -- after digging into it -- and also what the embassy and destination country authorities says about the requirements. It can really require digging into the details, particularly those related to the precise ages of children for any particular destination.

"Children, meet nasal swab."
Old May 25, 2021, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JR67
I find the information I need about kids in the reopen eu web site, timatic I had not heard of but form what I can see it requires a subscription.¨¨

Mostly for the purposes of covid entry clearance children older than 5 are treated as adults but for the purposes of vaccination they are treated as though they do not exist.

Its going to be messy...but provided no really bad varient turns up I think things will go back to some sort of normality over the summer.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:31 am

LH has a database you can use to check which shows their info plus timatic: https://lhg.corporate.travel-regulat...m/?language=en

IATA provides a free version of Timatic here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pas...quirements.htm

But yes the rule of thumb is 6 years or older are considered virulent enough to spread the joy when infected. So they have to go for a test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.