Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New CEO confirmed as Anko van der Werff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Sky News reports that Alex Cruz is in the running to head SK

https://news.sky.com/story/former-br...e-sas-12266561

I guess the BA forum was happy to see him go. Though it would mean that SK is in for even more penny pinching, though even for Alex Cruz it must be difficult to find service elements to cut.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 5, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:30 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Sky News reports that Alex Cruz is in the running to head SK

https://news.sky.com/story/former-br...e-sas-12266561

I guess the BA forum was happy to see him go. Though it would mean that SK is in for even more penny pinching, though even for Alex Cruz it must be difficult to find service elements to cut.
April Fools was a few days ago... I really hope this is a joke.
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I am a bit torn on this one to be honest - I agree that he did not do much good for BA. However, on one hand Alex Cruz is someone you would bring in to clean up, be tough on unions etc, but on the other that stance might drive the final nail in the coffin on a heavily unionised airline like SK. I do not think they could survive another war like back in 2012 when they literally were minutes from going under.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
He may not have done much good for BA passengers, but for BA as a company I think he did pretty well. Despite the service cuts, customers did not run away in great numbers.

Where he might actually be good for SK, he has certainly never shied away from confrontations with staff in order to change structures. He might be the medicine SK needs for more long term viability.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

Where he might actually be good for SK, he has certainly never shied away from confrontations with staff in order to change structures. He might be the medicine SK needs for more long term viability.
I tend to agree - my main concern is that his approach would drive the company into strikes that will drain it of money because the unions will think they can fight him, and have no understanding of the fact that they will not win that fight. Result: bye bye SAS. No doubt the clean-up is needed though, in my opinion.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Anyone who thinks Cruz was good for BA should take a look at the outstanding cases in court. They are on the hook for millions over one thing and another and it all occurred on his watch. No one really believes that it was a coincidence that he was ousted on the day the data breach case went to court. Neither he nor Walsh were good for BA, the company is a demoralised shadow of itself and passengers - apart from the loyalty on the BA board of FT are pretty fed up.
GUWonder, JR67 and the810 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This airline is still so heavily owned by Scandinavian government shareholders that I doubt they would be too eager to pick a CEO from beyond Scandinavia. And even if they were to do so for SAS, Alex Cruz would probably be the wrong kind of guy to deal with the dynamics that come with dealing with Scandinavian employee unions while also having the Danish and Swedish governments as big shareholder with their own concerns.

Before Walsh and Cruz did their business on BA, I used to be more positively inclined toward choosing BA over SAS and a bunch of other airlines. Not anymore after Walsh and Cruz did their hatchet jobs.

He may not have done much good for BA passengers, but for BA as a company I think he did pretty well. Despite the service cuts, customers did not run away in great numbers.

LondonAir is in a quite different position than SAS and has been for as long as I've been on FT. And doing a hatchet job on one's own company when the company was in a relatively stronger position than SAS finds itself in nowadays also may mean that not all lessons are transferable with the same kind of outcome.

If the objective of management is to be hyper-confrontational so as to extract some kind of advantage out of changing the employment structure and produce benefits for profit-seeking, shareholders in the game of flipping stocks, then SAS should probably try to buy out its government shareholders and then try to proceed from there.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2021 at 6:01 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:05 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I tend to agree - my main concern is that his approach would drive the company into strikes that will drain it of money because the unions will think they can fight him, and have no understanding of the fact that they will not win that fight. Result: bye bye SAS. No doubt the clean-up is needed though, in my opinion.
I tend to agree. What happens if an unstoppable force hits an immovable object...

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Anyone who thinks Cruz was good for BA should take a look at the outstanding cases in court. They are on the hook for millions over one thing and another and it all occurred on his watch. No one really believes that it was a coincidence that he was ousted on the day the data breach case went to court. Neither he nor Walsh were good for BA, the company is a demoralized shadow of itself and passengers - apart from the loyalty on the BA board of FT are pretty fed up.
This is what I worry about. While on the balance sheet some of the things he made would even look good, the other monetary as well as non monetary damages he has done to the company are pretty much irreparable imho. I think at SK he'd do more damage than good and alienate the company from its customers.
GUWonder, Dover2Golf and the810 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apart from the loyalty on the BA board of FT.
BA's very own self-appointed Praetorian Guard!

Johan
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone who thinks Cruz was good for BA should take a look at the outstanding cases in court. They are on the hook for millions over one thing and another and it all occurred on his watch. No one really believes that it was a coincidence that he was ousted on the day the data breach case went to court. Neither he nor Walsh were good for BA, the company is a demoralised shadow of itself and passengers - apart from the loyalty on the BA board of FT are pretty fed up.
And yet the passenger numbers or the profitability never suffered from all of these fed up customers? In the end, what is good for the company is being profitable. The London hub does give a strong base to make people keep choosing BA, which they certainly have capitalised on, but every major airline flies to London, there is a choice for unhappy people.
​​​​
​​​
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This airline is still so heavily owned by Scandinavian government shareholders that I doubt they would be too eager to pick a CEO from beyond Scandinavia. And even if they were to do so for SAS, Alex Cruz would probably be the wrong kind of guy to deal with the dynamics that come with dealing with Scandinavian employee unions while also having the Danish and Swedish governments as big shareholder with their own concerns.

Before Walsh and Cruz did their business on BA, I used to be more positively inclined toward choosing BA over SAS and a bunch of other airlines. Not anymore after Walsh and Cruz did their hatchet jobs.

LondonAir is in a quite different position than SAS and has been for as long as I've been on FT. And doing a hatchet job on one's own company when the company was in a relatively stronger position than SAS finds itself in nowadays also may mean that not all lessons are transferable with the same kind of outcome.

If the objective of management is to be hyper-confrontational so as to extract some kind of advantage out of changing the employment structure and produce benefits for profit-seeking, shareholders in the game of flipping stocks, then SAS should probably try to buy out its government shareholders and then try to proceed from there.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe a company should screw over their employees at every step where they can. The stunts BA took in the fall with basically firing any cabin crew not transitioning to the mixed fleet contract was pretty awful in my opinion.
However, a part of SK's financial woes have always been that their staffing is too expensive, maybe not so much directly in cash salary, but in efficiency. I think a lot was weeded out in the last major crisis, but if I listen or some of the points of Oliver2002, there are still structural challenges. Despite many years of trying, SK management have not been able to address. If Cruz is a bad or a good medicine for that is not obvious, but it certainly would be a new medicine.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe a company should screw over their employees at every step where they can. The stunts BA took in the fall with basically firing any cabin crew not transitioning to the mixed fleet contract was pretty awful in my opinion.
However, a part of SK's financial woes have always been that their staffing is too expensive, maybe not so much directly in cash salary, but in efficiency. I think a lot was weeded out in the last major crisis, but if I listen or some of the points of Oliver2002, there are still structural challenges. Despite many years of trying, SK management have not been able to address. If Cruz is a bad or a good medicine for that is not obvious, but it certainly would be a new medicine.
I sort of believe that SAS is probably beyond saving as an independent in the absence of: a) repeated government sponsorship to keep it alive and independent; or just being left to string itself along without the government shareholders and the backing that comes from the involved governments.

I'm sure that SAS's headhunters will find some candidates for the SAS CEO job who will claim they have a plan that can deliver something that sounds better than "SAS will be a lost cause, so am I hired?".
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I sort of believe that SAS is probably beyond saving as an independent in the absence of: a) repeated government sponsorship to keep it alive and independent; or just being left to string itself along without the government shareholders and the backing that comes from the involved governments.

I'm sure that SAS's headhunters will find some candidates for the SAS CEO job who will claim they have a plan that can deliver something that sounds better than "SAS will be a lost cause, so am I hired?".
In some ways, SK is probably a lost cause. It is a bit like Alitalia, there has just been no getting through to the core of the issues.

Though after the last structural change it does seem to have been going a bit more smoothly on the financials, if not on the customer service.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Generation of CEOs have tried to tinker with the structural problems of SAS in the 2000s. Two problems they will never be able to solve: having atleast 3 hubs in the three countries with relative high labor costs AND fierce LCC competition at these hubs for both regional and longhaul traffic. BA doesn't have all that, they have one hub with very little LCC competition at that hub (yes LTN, STN & LGW are close, but not directly head to head). They also have fierce unions in the cabin and flight deck, which WW and AC have fought with and not really won much.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Generation of CEOs have tried to tinker with the structural problems of SAS in the 2000s. Two problems they will never be able to solve: having atleast 3 hubs in the three countries with relative high labor costs AND fierce LCC competition at these hubs for both regional and longhaul traffic. BA doesn't have all that, they have one hub with very little LCC competition at that hub (yes LTN, STN & LGW are close, but not directly head to head). They also have fierce unions in the cabin and flight deck, which WW and AC have fought with and not really won much.
At least for a brief moment that LCC competition is more or less gone. And with SAS being down to just two governments as the big shareholders, maybe the ability for SAS to modify course at least a bit could be somewhat less challenging for a period of time than when there were three. But even if (a) the LCC competitors were to not return as more than a harmless shadow, and (b) SAS were to find itself down to one or no big government shareholders, then indeed too they would end up walking along the edge of a dangerously busy commercial road and be at risk of becoming potential roadkill for the monsters of the road that would leave them at least in part as one with the asphalt.
johan rebel likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 8, 2021 at 4:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.