Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS will only rebook to SAS when mechanical?

Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:07 am
Original Poster

I'm on SK 944 ORD-CPH tonight in Business (J), which has been canceled for mechanical problems. SAS has rebooked me 24 hours later. There is a LX tonight, and SK refuses to rebook. Is this how this airline conducts itself? I am more familiar with UA and LH, and they would absolutely rebook, especially to another *A carrier.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How much is an LX ticket?

If it is cheaper than the SK ticket, you are entitled to a refund and may purchase whatever you want. While last minute tickets are rarely cheap, they sometimes are, so worth looking.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I'm on SK 944 ORD-CPH tonight in Business (J), which has been canceled for mechanical problems. SAS has rebooked me 24 hours later. There is a LX tonight, and SK refuses to rebook. Is this how this airline conducts itself? I am more familiar with UA and LH, and they would absolutely rebook, especially to another *A carrier.
EC 261/2004 ? Sounds like SAS would rather possibly have to pay up under EC261/2004 rather than be obliged for sure to pay LX/LH/UA for flying you in business at whatever the going rate for a manifest disruption reassignment would cost SAS.

I would at times consider booking my own business class option, after having documented SK's failure to comply with EC 261/2004, and then going after SK to make me whole for the out-of-pocket cost.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
How much is an LX ticket?

If it is cheaper than the SK ticket, you are entitled to a refund and may purchase whatever you want. While last minute tickets are rarely cheap, they sometimes are, so worth looking.
Around $9K for a OW on LX, much more than I paid on SK.

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Apr 1, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
EC 261/2004 ? Sounds like SAS would rather possibly have to pay up under EC261/2004 rather than be obliged for sure to pay LX/LH/UA for flying you in business at whatever the going rate for a manifest disruption reassignment would cost SAS.

I would at times consider booking my own business class option, after having documented SK's failure to comply with EC 261/2004, and then going after SK to make me whole for the out-of-pocket cost.
That is risky & I would only attempt with the clear understanding that I may never be reimbursed for the new ticket and that if there is reimbursement, it will only come after a lengthy fight.. There is no good precedent requiring rebooking OA with only a 24-hour delay. That would obviate any claim for reimbursement of the new ticket.

OP might look at his travel insurance to determine whether it will cover the fare difference to LX (as he will receive a refund of the SK segment). Indeed, OP will also presumably have a claim for EUR 600 in cancellation compensation as well as either vouchers for or reimbursement of hotel and intervening meals.
AirbusFan2B likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 1, 2021 at 4:15 pm
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:04 am

Often they will rebook you onto another airline, but now with all the different restrictions it’s hard for them to rebook you via another routing.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So, what happened?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skyplane
Often they will rebook you onto another airline, but now with all the different restrictions it’s hard for them to rebook you via another routing.
If a person is allowed to travel on ORD-CPH in recent days, then they are most probably qualified to travel on LH, LX, AF -- or otherwise go US-Germany/Switzerland/France -CPH -- to get from ORD to CPH even during this pandemic.

I haven't seen anyone at the gate for my ORD-CPH flights during this pandemic where a person eligible to travel ORD-CPH would appear to not be eligible for ORD-FRA/ZRH/CDG-CPH. And I've been around those flights enough on both ends to not be entirely clueless about who is getting on and off those flights during this pandemic.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
SAS was willing to rebook me on LH from LAX to ARN a few years ago, and they paid up under EC261/2004 as well.

Circumstances are certainly different today, but I'd like to know more about their reasoning for denying your rebook on LH.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Daner
SAS was willing to rebook me on LH from LAX to ARN a few years ago, and they paid up under EC261/2004 as well.

Circumstances are certainly different today, but I'd like to know more about their reasoning for denying your rebook on LH.
What are the odds that SAS failed to set up a timely protection agreement with Lufthansa such that SAS's bill for same-night business class rebooking onto LH wouldn't be a money-loser for SAS? I would guess that SAS failed to arrange for that and it would be why I'd again have to stick SAS with the bill of doing my own rebooking when SK's miserly, unhelpful stubbornness runs against EC261/2004.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I had SAS flights cancelled on me twice over the last couple of year, both times on EWR-XXX-FRA.

The first one was the late night rotation from/to CPH getting cancelled (never leaving CPH) and me being rebooked on KL via AMS.
Since I needed the miles and there was still space on SK via OSL I asked to have the ticket changed to that one and (unsurprisingly) that wasn't an issue at all.

The second one was Covid-related, with EWR-ARN not flying at all in May 2020, and I got rebooked onto UA.
Interestingly, the reprotection agreement between SK and UA back then apparently didn't include premium economy, which is why I was downgraded to Economy.
Didn't matter much to me since I had planned to upgrade to Business using my UA miles anyway and the downgrade compensation almost covered for the Cash part of the upgrade (I was rebooked in S so an upgrade was allowed).
The ticket was the cheapest premium economy ticket I've ever booked (less than 900 EUR iirc) and the compensation I got was 400 EUR, so I was quite pleased.
Was super happy I made it home on the direct UA flight in J
James91 and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daner

I HUACA and both times they were unwilling to state the reason for why no rebook. I made sure the second call was recorded. It is a shady business practice and will likely deter me from every flying them again. That’s akin to Frontier, Spirit (& WN?), airlines I don’t touch for precisely that reason - well for a few other reasons too.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
So, what happened?
Settled for 24-hour delay & will invest time in the coming days in pursuing SK for compensation.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skyplane
Hmm. I wonder if there’s something there... I had what it took to get into DK but if SK rebooks me and something goes sideways with the Covid paperwork, due to differing requirements, for transiting ZRH or FRA or CDG, then SK could maybe get in a bind. I will still pursue them as I should have been offered the option.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If a person is allowed to travel on ORD-CPH in recent days, then they are most probably qualified to travel on LH, LX, AF -- or otherwise go US-Germany/Switzerland/France -CPH -- to get from ORD to CPH even during this pandemic.

I haven't seen anyone at the gate for my ORD-CPH flights during this pandemic where a person eligible to travel ORD-CPH would appear to not be eligible for ORD-FRA/ZRH/CDG-CPH. And I've been around those flights enough on both ends to not be entirely clueless about who is getting on and off those flights during this pandemic.
What about a transit requiring PCR (and Denmark <24 hours, so probably antigen)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.