Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Are there any lounges open in the Nordics (airline + contract)?

Are there any lounges open in the Nordics (airline + contract)?

Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by JR67
Great that SAS finally has something worth eating at the lounges! Thanks for the report!

One question: "No alcohol served of course" - why not? As far as I understand, alcohol has no relation to corona at all. What is the justification for not serving alcohol? Is there any reason other than cost-cutting?
Obviously, the reason is cost-cutting, but the justification is likely corona. That these two (the reason and the justification) are not the same is just a simple fact of life. I see this a lot around me. Some folks would also call that BSitting customers.
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
Originally Posted by JR67
Great that SAS finally has something worth eating at the lounges! Thanks for the report!

One question: "No alcohol served of course" - why not? As far as I understand, alcohol has no relation to corona at all. What is the justification for not serving alcohol? Is there any reason other than cost-cutting?
Originally Posted by SK2751
Obviously, the reason is cost-cutting, but the justification is likely corona. That these two (the reason and the justification) are not the same is just a simple fact of life. I see this a lot around me. Some folks would also call that BSitting customers.
Well, as SK2751 said, I think it's a cost-cutting measure. I had reading reports about the CPH and ARN lounges and I was expecting it to be the same at OSL (specially keeping in mind Norwegian alcohol prices). However, when I asked one of the dragons about the reason, she answered jokingly that people tend to 'loose their personal space' when they drink and that with the current pandemic it is not acceptable. I get her point but obviously, as said before, it's just a partial justification for basically a cost-cutting measure.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
While others being worse is not a sign of being good, I noticed the sign just now in Narita saying that all Emirates lounges in the world, including Dubai are closed due to Covid-19. I guess SK are not the only ones needing to conserve cash.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed SAS is not alone in having a financial crunch. And yet there comes a point where it too will have to spend money to try to get money.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed SAS is not alone in having a financial crunch. And yet there comes a point where it too will have to spend money to try to get money.
There indeed limits for how long airlines can keep being too stingy. Within Europe we have probably passed that limit, for intercontinental travel the options are still few enough that the airlines can do almost what they want.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:23 am

To be honest, I can to some extend understand that the airlines need to conserve cash. What I hate about it is, the typical marketing BS. For years every initiative to save cost is marketed as fantastic enhancement to product and services which have been implemented after careful evaluation of the customers needs or forced upon them due to regulation. While if you look closer, in most cases, those claims are nothing but a blatant lie. Pretty much like not serving alcohol because of.... Covid19.
lhrpete and nussle like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
To be honest, I can to some extend understand that the airlines need to conserve cash. What I hate about it is, the typical marketing BS. For years every initiative to save cost is marketed as fantastic enhancement to product and services which have been implemented after careful evaluation of the customers needs or forced upon them due to regulation. While if you look closer, in most cases, those claims are nothing but a blatant lie. Pretty much like not serving alcohol because of.... Covid19.
If they would simply write "To reduce operating cost to mitigate the covid-19 impact on the airline business we have taken the step to remove alcohol from the lounge, allowing us to offer a lounge with the many benefits associated with lounge access. We ask for your kind understanding."

I am sure they would get a lot of understanding.
johan rebel and lhrpete like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If they would simply write "To reduce operating cost to mitigate the covid-19 impact on the airline business we have taken the step to remove alcohol from the lounge, allowing us to offer a lounge with the many benefits associated with lounge access. We ask for your kind understanding."

Yes, spot on!
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

This would not go through the PR department
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK2751
This would not go through the PR department
That speaks worlds about the PR department.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:58 am

I visited CPH Gold lounge yesterday, first time since March. I was there together with 3-4 other pax around 7pm. I sampled the sandwiches, with high hopes after the comments from OSL and ARN above. Yet, I was hugely disappointed. I have found no chicken curry. There were three kinds served: egg salad, meat balls, and tuna. They were all served on separate plates, so I found it embarrassing to try all three, as the pile of plates have been building up in front of me, and I was causing the entire crew a lot of work (there clearly were more staff in the lounge than guests).

In CPH, they have this "club-style" sandwiches, with this very white toast-like-but-not-toasted bread. I personally consider this the worst bread on the market and avoid eating it if I can. So they did not score with me. Either they have a very different offering in CPH, or my taste differs wildly from yours. I think the "regular" pre-pandemic food offering was way more attractive, even if boring.
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by fassy

Marketing people I put in the same box as parking inspectors and lawyers, you have to have them I guess but id really love to live in a world where they were scared and few and far between.

Some of the absolute bs........ I have believed and discovered to be wrong in the past....SAS is not the only guilty party where this is concerned. Hotels seem to be the worst.
TPJ and SK2751 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nussle
Marketing people I put in the same box as parking inspectors and lawyers, you have to have them I guess but id really love to live in a world where they were scared and few and far between.

Some of the absolute bs........ I have believed and discovered to be wrong in the past....SAS is not the only guilty party where this is concerned. Hotels seem to be the worst.
Often the problem also comes from the consumer. Some airline can get higher fares if they do more PR around how safe they are even if they are doing the same as everyone else but just with more actions. In a lot of industry the consumer doesn't care as much about how the company is doing but only about how they feel while using the product. Currently that feeling is based on safety from Covid so if you can make it look and sound like your doing everything for there safety a lot of consumers will see your product as better.
We see thought it but people who don't pay attention and fly once a year don't. They only see the PR and it works on them.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath
Currently that feeling is based on safety from Covid so if you can make it look and sound like your doing everything for there safety a lot of consumers will see your product as better.
Some may see it that way, others may not.

Airlines' current safety campaigns are continuously reinforcing the message that flying is now a lethal activity due to a certain virus that's just waiting to pounce and then spread through the cabin like wildfire. The only way to prevent being carried off the plane in a body bag is to strictly follow all the rules and regulations imposed on you, trust that being served little or no food or drink is in your best interest, and hope that the cabin has been thoroughly scrubbed with industrial-strength disinfectants.

All that may make some people feel safe, but will still not be enough to reassure the craven and fearful, who anyway much prefer to follow the glorious example of the Wilmington troglodyte and hide in their basements, no matter what the airlines say. They are wasting their breath, and money too.

Then you get those who couldn't care less about anything, and aren't put off travel by the chance of a chance meeting with a virus. The airlines' covid PR is completely wasted on them as well.

Finally, you have the rational people who see flying as a perfectly acceptable risk. As most people probably know, planes have been known to crash ever since the beginning of powered flight, and some 300 people have been killed in commercial airline crashes so far this year. If that doesn't stop people from flying, then why should a virus? However, the very same people who still want to fly find this incessant, pervasive and intrusive beating of the corona safety drum extremely annoying. I'm one of them.

Hotels, airports, etc. are plastered with signs and posters wherever there is space. Doors, walls, floors, tables, elevators, lobbies, rooms, lounges, bars, restaurants, there's no escaping from the stuff. Staff hide behind screens and masks, and airports treat you to inane announcements every few minutes ("refuse kisses on the cheek" is my favorite so far, but after hearing it a dozen times I was no longer that amused), and cabin crew chime in with helpful advice of their own, such as "do not shake hands" (when last did you see people shaking hands on a plane?). Not only have I heard it all before about a zillion times (Should I wash my hands? Really? News to me! Why?), but a lot of these rules are senseless, pointless, useless and silly. To make matters worse, when not traveling I'm still the lucky recipient of a deluge of emails from travel and hospitality businesses announcing the latest measures to make me feel safe. Enough already!

Airlines should focus on returning service to normal as soon as commercially possible, thus providing the reasonably pleasant and relaxing travel experience want and have every reason to expect. Well, at least in J and F.

Reassuring ignorant once-a-year leisure fliers should not take priority over enticing frequent flyers back on board, which can only be achieved by meeting or exceeding their expectations.

Just to end on a positive note: from a personal perspective, half-empty planes are nice; deserted airports are nice; not waiting in line is nice; quick boarding is nice; improved punctuality is nice; hotel prices down by 30%, 50% or more is nice; the greatly reduced number of tourists almost everywhere is really nice. Bad for business, but nice for me, as well as for those others who still travel.

Johan
RedChili, TPJ and the810 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There has never been a Wilmington troglodyte hiding in a basement, but there certainly are a lot less SAS employees and contractors working above and below and on the ground for SAS and other airlines at SAS hubs. And why is that? Because SAS passenger demand is still nowhere close to coming back in full for at least a couple more quarters if not for even a couple more years.

If anything, it seems like more and more airlines are catering to leisure fliers and giving them somewhat increased priority over enticing frequent business flyers back on board. That's not irrational when the frequent business flyers (and their employers/clients) aren't all that eager to fly a lot more for work just because an airline may meet or exceed their expectations. If anything, it may be that the discretionary leisure traveler that seems most susceptible to increase discretionary spending on travel because of an airline (including an airline's frequent flyer program and promotional sales) meeting or exceeding passenger expectations.

SAS is really going to need to increase its lounge access sales to and revenue from infrequent leisure flyers too, as SAS has to try to make up for the financial headwinds still strongly running against frequent business travel and the related travelers who have been the historical justification for the financial expenditures on its lounge operations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.