Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Are there any lounges open in the Nordics (airline + contract)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there any lounges open in the Nordics (airline + contract)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LO went thru a massive restructuring in the early 2010s when they were in deep trouble. The management left no stone unturned and revised most of the legacy contracts. Services are provided thru a network of affiliated companies that pay wages barely good enough to hold employees. Finnair did something similar, SAS tried quite a bit but still has a long way to go. Also the average income in PL is far below below any of the Nothern or Western EU countries. The incremental labor cost to restart a lounge in ARN is far higher than in WAW for sure.
I am sure you are right, but then the price difference in the cost of tickets between LO and SAS does totally reflect that. There are lounges in ARN that are open so if they can do it so can SAS.

Wages in Poland are fast catching up btw.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I heard somewhere that Norwegian staff are better paid than SAS staff in Norway, at least on the cabin crew side. Also believe there are no European nightstops for neither pilots nor cabin crews. While there are some interesting places in Norway, Lakselv, Alta or Bardufoss are not amongst them in my humble opinion. Add limited ability to plan ahead and issues regarding for instance childcare for those with young children the incentive to get a flying career are nowhere near what they used to be. A friend working at DY also said they’re struggling with low quality staff at their ground handling agents as salaries and benefits are so bad it’s difficult to get decent applicants. Assume the same applies to other airlines who have outsourced. He also added the catering supplier in OSL is rubbish, also caused by low quality staffing. They’re not cheap, though, as they have a near monopoly situation.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
I heard somewhere that Norwegian staff are better paid than SAS staff in Norway, at least on the cabin crew side. Also believe there are no European nightstops for neither pilots nor cabin crews. While there are some interesting places in Norway, Lakselv, Alta or Bardufoss are not amongst them in my humble opinion. Add limited ability to plan ahead and issues regarding for instance childcare for those with young children the incentive to get a flying career are nowhere near what they used to be. A friend working at DY also said they’re struggling with low quality staff at their ground handling agents as salaries and benefits are so bad it’s difficult to get decent applicants. Assume the same applies to other airlines who have outsourced. He also added the catering supplier in OSL is rubbish, also caused by low quality staffing. They’re not cheap, though, as they have a near monopoly situation.
Almost all SAS flight have been scheduled in such a way that night stops are hard to possibly get. I flew some of the Mediterranean flights. They were all in the middle of the day or just in the afternoon so they can do an instant turn.
The sad part with all of this horrible cost cutting on every possible things is easily explained. The flying public often only care about price and nothing else. If there prices were higher to cover higher salaries and better benefits. Someone like Ryanair or wizzair would show up on the other side of the route. Blowing them out of the water with even worse contracts and lower prices.
We might care most people don't see it and care about it
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nussle
Basics are avaliable in warsaw, bottles of drink and coffee. A sign saying you can have a lunch made for you if you like.
Back to the original topic of this thread, any other lounge experiences? is there self-serve wine, beer, cocktails? Anything on any buffet (sounds like there's no food in WAW unless you request a nondescript lunch to be prepared?) Not debating merits of the workforce, just trying to understand what the lounge offering is. Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check the lounge thread in the M&M forum. There are plenty of tasty options. The frozen reheated long life meals are long gone.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Back to the original topic of this thread, any other lounge experiences? is there self-serve wine, beer, cocktails? Anything on any buffet (sounds like there's no food in WAW unless you request a nondescript lunch to be prepared?) Not debating merits of the workforce, just trying to understand what the lounge offering is. Thanks!
About two weeks ago, breakfast time, there was catering available, similar to a flight service. Packaged sandwiches and simple meal/salad boxes. There was a sign that you can order a breakfast. (all in WAW). Actually, my first impression was, that they are really trying to save the situation and to still keep the lounge a place worth coming, too. I personally think that lounges in WAW have many problems, but this time I was rather positively impressed. Perhaps, because my baseline was 'everything closed' in CPH.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK2751
I personally think that lounges in WAW have many problems, but this time I was rather positively impressed. Perhaps, because my baseline was 'everything closed' in CPH.
I think the only problem was they were too small for the pre-COVID traffic. But even then food was excellent and drink options solid. Elite lounge-within-a-lounge was a particularly good place with even better food and free flowing French champagne.

Even now the food and drink options are great (no more champagne as Elite is still closed).
SkyTeam777 and SK2751 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Self-serve wine/beer?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:27 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Self-serve wine/beer?
Yes, drink as much as you can
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:00 am

Any news on the lounge in CPH. I bought my daughter a plus ticket so she could use the lounge in CPH on her way back to ARN from WAW. I know the lounge in WAW is open so she will be fine there but im a little annoyed that SAS can sell a plus ticket and not be able to offer several of its features.

I did this so she would not be wandering around CPH for a few hours and have somewhere nice to go to wait.

So, is CPH lounge open yet or is SAS going to be the absolute last airline to oopen its lounges to its premium fliers??
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:23 am

Still closed.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Went to the Menzies lounge in ARN T5, it was completely empty and had a few drinks and chips on offer. The LD was a bit inststent that my 11 year old younger son counted as a guest... I suppose we disturbed her TV binging session on the computer.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:24 am

Im calling ........ on this whole SAS game. I bought premium econmy tickets for my daughter as I wanted her first unaccompanied flight to be a good one. They were bought a few weeks ago. I expected her to be able to use the lounge, fast track and get the usual benefits of the ticket. remember bought only a few weeks ago and says clearly on the ticket fast tracck/lounge access and snack/meal on the flights.

None of these have happened, ok, the fast track is no biggie but I expect her to be fed since it says it on the ticket and I expect her to be able to use the lounge since it says that on the ticket. Last week I rolled through WAW so I told her, that lounge is open you can use that.

Today she reported to me that they wont let her in because of her age. So, not even one advantage of the additional price for the tickets was realised for the whole flight in both directions.

I accept they are closed, I accept they have age restrictions I dont accept to sell these tickets and pocket the extra if you are not going to provide any and I mean any of the advantages such a ticket is being sold under.

And I understand the lounge in Copenhaven is still closed as well.

Its called cheating and even a child can see this...She loves Singapore air and Lufthansa but wont be so keen on SAS in the future I guess.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Gothenburg

I can report that at least on Sunday, COVID had closed the Gothenburg-Landvetter SAS Lounge. For some reason COVID has also made it impossible for LUH Senator Lounge in FRA to serve any alcohol other than Beer. Bad virus!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
Saw some activity today when I passed by SAS Arlanda lounge - no guests but some staffmembers.
Does anyone know when this costcutting will end ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.