Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Face mask mandatory onboard SAS flights starting May 18th

Face mask mandatory onboard SAS flights starting May 18th

Old May 15, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
2. New boarding routines: passengers with rear seat seats board the aircraft first.
4. No food service.
5. Hand luggage is limited to one item per passenger.
Adding lounge closure to the above, I wonder whether they will keep selling SAS Plus tickets on short-haul flights for the period that these measures are in place... I mean, what will be the difference from Go?
Old May 15, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West
I mean, what will be the difference from Go?
Flexibility and higher points earnings. As EBG/EBD, who hates the on-board catering concept, for me the only reasons to begin with.
radu, JR67 and East_and_West like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
That makes me wonder, would I be breaking any rules if I opted to travel in a plague mask? Sounds like a great way to get around having to wear a regular face mask (which causes me a strong headache, so it's a no-go for more than a few minutes).
Old May 16, 2020, 3:48 pm

Well, I have seen people using full face gas/sanding/painting masks.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Anything that covers your mouth and nose, I suppose...
Old May 18, 2020, 5:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS has now updated its iOS app to include information about its face mask requirement and carry-on restrictions due to COVID-19.

I haven't cared (yet at least) to check how that shows in the app.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Anything that covers your mouth and nose, I suppose...
https://www.sas.dk/hjaelp-og-kontakt...asks-on-board/ (in Danish)
No scarfs, homemade masks and masks made of any type of "clothes" . These are not accepted, it has to be an "actual mask". But if you've used the same useless mask for 3 days it's no problem.
the810 likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by studentCPH
No scarfs, homemade masks and masks made of any type of "clothes" . These are not accepted, it has to be an "actual mask". But if you've used the same useless mask for 3 days it's no problem.

Ha ha ha my thinking exactly, so I just took some masks and popped them in my carry on and probably just use them over and over again since as far as I can tell its only to make other people feel secure and provides no real protection whatsoever. Its like carrying some religious text or symbol...it makes your mum feel safer and perhaps yourself but actually does nothing whatsoever.

I give it a few months...although I though the same with the liquids and gels thing and that has persisted despite how stupid it is.

Sadly this sort of sillyness is just so difficult to fight. Its emotional rather than logical...
SKT-DK, the810, sueco6 and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by studentCPH
So I can't just use my shemagh. So inconvenient.

Old May 20, 2020, 3:12 am
Suspended

“Biohazard face masks coming to an SAS seatback pocket near you soon.”
Old May 21, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
SAS expects that passengers will bring their own face masks. Otherwise, it's denied boarding. They will approve self-made masks, but not scarves. FHI says that medical masks should be reserved for medical staff, while non-medical masks should not be used on board airplanes. Masks have to be replaced when they become wet, and you have to wash your hands when doing this. Which means that the lavatory lines on SAS flights will be longer than usual.

https://www.nrk.no/nordland/flyselsk...var-1.15017192
https://www.fhi.no/nettpub/coronavir..._i_luftfarten/

In addition, wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time means that you will inhale an excess amount of CO2. A likely side effect of that is a headache.
And FHI also states that "...incorrect use of a non-medical mask can lead to increased risk of catching the virus. Handling used masks and increased frequency of touching of your face can also lead to an increased risk of infection."
Old May 21, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
English summary of main changes:

1. Face masks mandatory for passengers aged six years old or older on all flights with SAS from May 18 to August 31.

2. New boarding routines: passengers with rear seat seats board the aircraft first.

3. All non-essential loose items in the cabin have been removed, such as reading material in the seat pocket, pillows, blankets and who knows what else.

4. No food service.

5. Hand luggage is limited to one item per passenger.
The real purpose of these rules is undoubtedly to ensure that passengers come flocking back in huge numbers as soon as services resume. Treating all their customers like lepers and transporting them in winged make-believe infectious diseases wards is sure to do the trick.

Johan
Old May 22, 2020, 3:14 am
Suspended

I find the changes to be SAS’s dog and pony show act within the public health security theater. But a lot of things in the world are done to convince the public that something is being done to address the public’s concerns. And SAS may have the additional burden of having to satisfy its three home markets’ governments and the public.

SAS is looking to get bailout money from Norway too, and that’s easier done when keeping in mind the public relations aspect of things too.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:10 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I plan to travel with SAS in August. My masks are not homemade (well some are) but hand made in a shop, thus reusable. Are they strict about that point and it is surgical mask only ? The rules are clear but in reality do they check if the mask is professionally sewn or hand made ?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
I am just off some SAS flights some inter-scandinavia some of the few long short haul flights as well.
Most people I saw had medical reusable masks.
On the inter-scandinavia there was a sports team. They by the looks of it had custom made masks with logos. They had no problems sitting with them. Some people also had diamonds masks.
So I would say that the main requirement is that it covers your mouth and nose isn't visibly badly made.
As there is no service most of what the crew did was walk though the cabin to check if people are wearing masks. Don't think you can have it just for embarking if you fall asleep they will wake you up to make you put your mask on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.