Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anybody received a refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kataskopos
Do not give up! If the change means that you arrive more than 4 hours late compared to your original routing, then you are entitled to a full refund under Regulation 261/2004/EC accessible here https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...4R0261&from=EN .
Thanks for linking that. It seems to suggest though that the four hours applies only if the notification occurred 2 weeks to 7 days prior to departure? Says if more than two weeks notice, no full refund (unless I'm reading it wrong). Here is the passage : https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261)"Cancellation

"1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:
(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival."

Notice the "or's" after each clause.

Having said all that, I got a re-rerouting that was 4.5 hours earlier departure than I had booked and with a connection (flight arrival time was similar though), and I submitted for a refund from SAS as it was an option. I guess we'll see if I get it....
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
*deleted*
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Received this morning:

"Hi, vanillabean

We haven’t forgotten about you.

The corona outbreak and the comprehensive travel restrictions have resulted in thousands of flight cancellations. This means that a lot of people have applied for refunds – including you.

Each refund application is handled individually. And with the great amount of cases that we’re currently processing, the waiting time is currently too long.

We apologise for this and are doing everything we can to speed up the process, but it’s going to take time.

We hope you have a pleasant summer.

Kind regards,
SAS"
I got the same email. I have been wanting to contact them, but have been too busy at work to get around to it. I have decided that as it is just 300 euro, I'll roll the dice and see what happens when.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:59 pm

Should I worry that SAS didn't say my flight was cancelled?

We had one-way flights booked as a single itinerary from KUS to AMS with a connection in OSL on June 18. On June 4th, I received an email from SAS stating that there has been a change to our schedule that stated "we’ve made an adjustment to our flight schedule that impacts your SAS trip."

The new flight was a flight leaving KUS two hours later than before and arriving 2 hours later into OSL. The OSL to AMS flight on our itinerary was no longer listed. A quick check online showed that there were no longer any SAS flights scheduled from OSL to AMS on or around that date.

Of course I immediately applied for a refund of our flights and received an email confirmation of my refund request from SAS. It sounds like it will be several more months before we hear anything.

Obviously, our flight itinerary from KUS to AMS was cancelled and I don't consider a new termination point in OSL to be just a "change" or "adjustment." Should I worry that SAS never used the explicit term "cancellation?" It seems obvious enough to me, but I also don't want to wait until October for SAS to respond only to find out that they are denying our refund and I then have to dispute the charge with my credit card.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It would be nice to have a tracking number for the refund, but I don't see it.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I received an email from SAS on Thursday (long weekend in Japan, so have not been on the corporate email until now) offering to convert my 2300 DKK refund to a voucher, plus an additional 350 DKK value per person on the booking. I will probably take it. It is getting a 15% return on the money I am lending them, probably not the worst interest level I can get these days...

Voucher will be valid for a year from being issued according to the email, I have not yet read the detailed T&C's yet.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I have also had an email offering to convert an outstanding refund to a voucher plus GBP30. I've had a couple of refunds thus far but as I have a booking to make for next year which is for almost exactly the amount in question I have accepted the voucher as I have nothing to lose by doing that.

As above, the voucher is valid for a year and you don't have to use it yourself and tickets can be booked in any name.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
My voucher offer is for an additional $35 USD on top of the ticket value of $41.74. The flight (a short hop ARN-TLL) had a fare of
only ~$6 and the rest are taxes.

This could be my best performing investment of the year ..... Wonder how they are pricing the incentive amounts.

They say the voucher can be available within 2 days, which only lends more credence to the refund delays being a cash conservation
measure more than an IT or processing one.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Buyer beware though... these vouchers are tricky to use and any residual value if forfeighted when redeeming the ticket.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by shoeflyer
My voucher offer is for an additional $35 USD on top of the ticket value of $41.74. The flight (a short hop ARN-TLL) had a fare of
only ~$6 and the rest are taxes.

This could be my best performing investment of the year ......
You got quite a deal there. Mine was $35 for the reservation as well, but for two passengers VBY-ARN-CPH with a total of $210.74 (flights 114, taxes 96.74).
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:37 pm

We got the same offer, $35 USD compensation...for 2 round trip business class tickets from SFO - OSL.

Needless to say, we are holding out on a refund. We hope to be able to reschedule this trip someday, but I doubt we will be able to in the next 12 Months.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Buyer beware though... these vouchers are tricky to use and any residual value if forfeighted when redeeming the ticket.
The email says that it can be split over multiple bookings and used for partial payments, so at least residuals should be possible to draw on the next booking?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Any residual are easy to spend on SK vouchers if you travel SK regularly (so you will have a chance before the voucher expires). You can combine a voucher and a credit card, and it is easy to do on the website. Also you can easily use a part of a voucher, or to combine two (not more) vouchers on a single trip. The last year was so crazy, that I think I used vouchers more than my credit card on the SK website.

The vouchers that SK gives out seem to change conditions all the time, so read the fine print. I never got a voucher with a premium on value (like people reporting above), but recent vouchers seem to state that the residual value can be paid out in cash when the vouchers expire.

Last edited by SK2751; Jul 29, 2020 at 6:19 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Not so, I used a voucher split over three bookings and there is still some credit left on it.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:11 pm

I had a flight canceled, and opted for an actual refund (not a voucher). Do those actually happen? How long does it take a to get a refund, if at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.