Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anybody received a refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
After two months of asking for a refund I tried to call them today. Supposedly I was number 5 in line. After 20 minutes I gave up because I had other things to do. I'm not out much, only about 200EUR, so time is on my side.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
After two months of asking for a refund I tried to call them today. Supposedly I was number 5 in line. After 20 minutes I gave up because I had other things to do. I'm not out much, only about 200EUR, so time is on my side.
I have a 300 euro one that I am waiting for, flight was in late April, it did not need a waiver, the fare was refundable to begin with. I should get around to sending them an email.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Originally Posted by JR67
One thing I have been thinking about all this wrath at not getting refunded for flights:

For the airline, a refund means giving back money they had already earmarked to keep operations going, including keeping as many personnel as possible employed.

For the personal traveler, a refund means getting back money they had already calculated on not having. Additionally, the fact that the trip never occurred probably means that the individual has MORE money than would have been the case otherwise, because other trip-related costs never happened.

So an immediate refund will negatively impact the travel provider, but should be seen as a windfall to the individual, since this money was already budgeted as an expenditure.

Doesn't change the fact that the money should be refunded eventually, but this way of thinking about it makes me much less sympathetic to those that scream that SAS is perpetrating fraud on the general public.
As for me when my flight was cancelled I had to book an alternative flight ... so there was no windfall (not that 309 eur is by any means a windfall
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
After two months of asking for a refund I tried to call them today.
I don't even know how to ask for a refund. The two flights on my June 23 reservation have been cancelled for five days now, and I still don't get a refund option for when cancelled by the airline. Instead, my options are 1) Rebook trip without a change fee, 2) Cancel trip and get a SAS Travel Voucher, 3) Apply for a cancellation and refund based on the ticket rules.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I don't even know how to ask for a refund.
Writing them a registered letter - or maybe try to write an email!
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I don't even know how to ask for a refund. The two flights on my June 23 reservation have been cancelled for five days now, and I still don't get a refund option for when cancelled by the airline. Instead, my options are 1) Rebook trip without a change fee, 2) Cancel trip and get a SAS Travel Voucher, 3) Apply for a cancellation and refund based on the ticket rules.
In the same boat as well, my early July flight was affected and got the same three options. My situation is SAS changed the flight time instead of cancelling the flight, so maybe that does not count as cancelled flight? I am not aware and hoping someone can chime in.
https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-information/message/
When clicking the "proceed with refund request" it just take you to the same manage my booking page.
Regardless, I will first send a full refund request to [email protected] and consider credit card chargeback as my last resort.

SAS is giving me the hardest time to deal with the situation. Widoroe did a full refund right away after changing my flight schedule and at least Norwegian had proper channel to request a full refund once my ticket was affected.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Jun 12, 2020 at 11:24 am
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by warakorn
Writing them a registered letter - or maybe try to write an email!
Well, yes. It’s just that it’s such a trip in the dark.

And on top of it, the following doesn’t exactly inspire optimism.

"If your flight has been canceled or significantly delayed or if you have been denied boarding on a flight for which you have a confirmed reservation, you are entitled to the rights defined in Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, which entered into force on 17/02/2005. The airline on whose flight the disruption occurs is responsible for granting your rights.”

https://www.flysas.com/en/legal-info...senger-rights/

Regulation (EC) No 261/2004
Article 5 Cancellation
"1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:
(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure;"

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261

Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Regardless, I will first send a full refund request to [email protected]
I wonder what will happen if SAS doesn’t respond until after departure, in which case the voucher is no longer an option, something to be considered if the refund is denied.

Added: called SAS US customer service, 20 min wait and a quick 5 min talk, and got a refund back to my card, will take a month to process. Case closed.

Last edited by vanillabean; Jun 12, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update, just did the same.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Getting a refund is going to take a while. SAS is planning to refund April flights in early autumn.

Inställda resor i mars ska återbetalas under juni, medan kunder som skulle ha rest i april och maj kommer få vänta till i början av hösten med återbetalningen.
https://www.travelnews.se/flyg/sas-s...jarder-kronor/
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:09 am

Angry

Originally Posted by miikkak
Getting a refund is going to take a while. SAS is planning to refund April flights in early autumn.

https://www.travelnews.se/flyg/sas-s...jarder-kronor/
This is not good news. Chargeback rights for credit not processed only last 120 days, meaning that if SAS goes bust one is not even able to get the money back through the chargeback process. I do not wish to cause SAS the cost of a chargeback, but can understand if people start doing it to protect themselves.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: SK-EBD*G, AF Ivory, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG, Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kataskopos
This is not good news. Chargeback rights for credit not processed only last 120 days, meaning that if SAS goes bust one is not even able to get the money back through the chargeback process. I do not wish to cause SAS the cost of a chargeback, but can understand if people start doing it to protect themselves.
I would argue the time frame limit for a chargeback depends on the jurisdiction. In for instance Sweden the claim should be made within reasonable time.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Just had a refund for a flight in March, one down, two to go.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by pswe
I would argue the time frame limit for a chargeback depends on the jurisdiction. In for instance Sweden the claim should be made within reasonable time.
chargebacks are ruled by the card scheme rules, not by local law (although if local law is better one can use that instead, such as France's infamous 13 month limit to dispute payments)
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:22 pm

Received today

Just got a full refund for three passengers BGO-NRT for March 28 in economy. Not the money yet, but an email saying it is now refunded to the mastercard. Didn't expect it, but it's a nice surprise!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:15 am

Got off the phone with the UK customer service as I wanted to enquire about a cancellation/refund that was started on March 25th as I had literally heard nothing from them since that day.

Was informed I probably won't see that happen until the end of July/start of August.

Even when I had Ryanair cancel a flight on me 3 days before I was due to travel, they sorted a refund/compensation faster than SAS have. So it seems Ryanair, one of the worst and most notorious scumbag airlines is actually better than SAS. Who knew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.