Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Advice/opinions on last min canceled return ticket

Old Apr 23, 20, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Gold, UAMP 1k, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Just looking for any advice/opinions with regard to my situation. Will do my best to include all the pertinent info. So I’m presently in the middle of the itinerary RT GOT-PHX, consisting of 2 flights via SAS metal & the 1 code share via UA . I was originally supposed to return to Sweden on March 28 but after my flights being canceled by SAS (with no notification, I was actually continually checking too and it appeared all was intact and going until <24 hrs of my first flight when I saw that the SAS flights were canceled again, still w/o notification) At this time, the somewhat mutual decision was made to push things up for 4 wks with the expectation (as was the case with the facts available at that time) that the rescheduled flights would more than likely go as originally scheduled in so doing w/this extended timeframe.

Now it’s obviously 4 wks later and a lot more info available but everything still looking to be a go until 10 days prior to my rescheduled flights, I received an email indicating that my flights were “changed” with no other information, & upon further examination online of my itinerary, I saw my SAS flights were in fact canceled again, with no other indication for reassignment, yet again. I immediately phoned in and was told that all SAS flights were no longer flying and to my surprise, hadn’t been since I believe they said something like April 12 or 16, again with no notification otherwise (as I obviously could have & would have returned prior to that time had I been informed) so I’m then told how they now have what they called “reprotection agreements” in where they are utilizing both UA & BA to get pax w/canceled SAS flights, back to SE & they would submit my information to both airlines for assignment. I was instructed to call back in 2 days to get this info.

2 days later, upon the rep checking the status, I am told that they have not yet heard back and that I was misinformed previously & the agreement was actually solely with BA & not UA(I had asked if it might help for me to secure my own flights w/either of these 2 carriers due to the timing etc & that is when the info was offered, being only BA.) and once again I am told to call back in 2 days “later in the day.”

This then was actually last Sat & when I asked if this might be an issue in itself, being it was a Sat, I was told no, that they typically would have the new agreements for the upcoming week by that time. Upon calling on Sat as instructed, I am told this time that no info is typically obtained on weekends & that I should call back late in the day Mon when they would have the new reprotection agreements for the week. Given this was in contrast to the information given during my last contact, I asked the rep to verify w/another colleague that they in fact had no further info, & I also asked if the agreement involved just BA or both UA & BA & this rep actually said they are utilizing not only BA & UA but LH as well so I was assured that if any of these carriers were flying, they would in fact, have a place for me come Mon when the new agreements were received so I actually at least felt there was comfort in knowing that the likelihood of a flight being secured was a bit better than if just using 1 or even 2 carriers. I should also mention that at this time I had asked if it might be wise to just secure my own ticket on another airline myself if there was going to be any other issues w/getting me back because (without getting into too many more details, it is crucial that I be back for a legal obligation next Mon that had already been rescheduled due to my inability to return back in March so I just cannot stay away any longer) but again SAS rep reassured me, after I shared that info, that the likelihood of getting a seat on 1 of the 3 carriers involved w/these “reprotection agreements”was in fact quite good & no need to try to book anything on my own.

I did again call Monday as instructed, yet again, this time I am given entirely different information, this time I am told that there are in fact no reprotection agreements for this week & in fact will not be any more of them at all, & all that I can be offered is a return flight on SAS metal or a refund. Furthermore, they still obviously do not know w/any type of certainty, when they will even be flying again, but the soonest they could assign me on any flights is mid May. Obviously this being unacceptable in my present situation, I again asked for confirmation due to all the conflicting information I had been given up until this point. The rep confirmed the information as accurate even mentioning how she felt certain that her colleagues had all been giving me accurate info but given facts were changing on a hourly basis, this was the result.

Obviously quite upset w/situation as now, just days away from my flights, I am forced to purchase another ticket entirely at pricing more than double the cost of my orig ticket/expected refund. After discussion w/my husband we decided to go ahead & look to book on another airline given the importance of my return, but again given the now quite substantial cost differential, does anyone feel there is any hope of recouping any of this. I am talking about literally several thousands of kronor not hundreds so obviously I understand, even under normal circumstances, not something SAS will do too easily. I did phone in again to SAS 1 last time on Tuesday, to reconfirm this as my only option before going ahead w/another booking because of this reason. Rep informed of same information as the day prior & suggested I use the “complaint” form online & read through EU 261 since the flights were canceled my SAS & not myself & that typically in these situations, the customer goes first through SAS w/this process before securing any other travel plans & is then reimbursed after given the go ahead.

Obviously we are in an unprecedented situation that is not clearly provisioned for in the 261 law (?) nor do I have the time to wait for a response given that there are very few options that will even get me home w/any hope of being on time for my Mon meeting in the first place. Literally just 2 options existed & 1 was flying today arriving Sat, the other Sat arriving Sun, which was substantially less, although quite costly regardless. The today option was almost 50% more than the Sat option which was also 200% higher than my original return ticket cost (& expected refund) My original (rescheduled) flights were for Fri/Sat oh & also these flights obviously to ARN, with GOT essentially being closed. Ok so hopefully that is all the information needed for anyone to give advice/opinion but also given I am not raised in SE, I am quite unfamiliar w/ the legal system, so just wondering if one could reasonably expect any recourse to even be considered, in an effort to mitigate some of the additional expense I will now have incurred if all presently goes as scheduled for my return home this weekend as I would never myself have waited until last minute to book this type of ticket, especially in the current environment. Also, had I been informed previous of SAS ceasing service and/or reprotection agreements,, I would certainly, & gladly have returned sooner but at the time of initial cancellation back in March, & also advised by SAS, that it would be quite wise to push things up the 4 weeks that I did in the attempt to return when things had calmed a bit etc. Obviously noone knew, myself included, that things would only worsen not improve, &!I certainly understand we are in unprecedented & continually changing times, but the effort was made at the time, w/the thought & hope of not having this sort of situation arise again & without any other information until just last week, so again my question is whether one can reasonably expect any type of further compensation other than simply the refund of my unused ticket?!

Again I am just looking/hoping for opinions and/or advice of those of you that are well traveled and/or potentially well versed w/the EU travel laws, etc. & please don’t bash me for anything done previously as obviously, things that were previously done, including decisions previously made, etc cannot be changed now & were made w/only the facts available at that time which obviously are much different than they are today so if you would kindly please consider this as well, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you in advance for any insight, suggestions, advice, &/or opinions that might be provided with regard to this scenario! Also for taking the time to read this lengthy post!

sorry everyone for the length...just trying to cover all info hope breaking this up in this way helps for easier reading.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Sounds like the consensus thus far is to try to pursue w/SAS. I guess I was concerned most about the amount given it’s more than double my original ticket price (return). I have contacted our home insurance but found out it has to be medical related for any type of coverage & I didn’t purchase any travel insurance because this is a trip I take all too frequently and ironically this was supposed to be an extra short one compared to my usual ones. We typically do purchase travel ins for vacations but this type of trip was/is just not in the category. Oh & just as another FYI.... I’ve also contacted the embassy but was told only the airlines or home insurance could help.

Last edited by Shoredreamer; Apr 23, 20 at 1:34 pm Reason: Paragraphing
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Wow... Maybe reposting this with some formatting might help. I started reading and go totally lost... Break it up into paragraphs...
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:24 am

Sorry, as JR67 said the post is totally unreadable. I gave up at some point. From what I got, SK screwed you up and you are stranded in the US and need to get back home to Sweden. So, you bought a new ticket which was very expensive.

I would try to claim the expenses with my travel insurance, assuming you have one. If you live in Sweden, check your home owners insurance, often it includes a travel insurance. And check with your credit card company, some also have some insurance if you book the trip with the card.

Then sort out the cancellation and refund issue with SK when you are back home.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
To chime in; I gave up reading half way through your post - way too long and where are the paragraphs?...

You need to take this up with your travel insurance. There is no way you are going to get SAS to pay for a return ticket that you purchased on your own. As you said yourself this is an unprecedented situation and you will not be able to reply on EC Reg. 261/04 to recover a ticket you purchased on your own when SAS told you that you would offered a return flight under reprotection agreements and eventually did offer you flight (albeit a flight that didn't suit you).
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
To chime in; I gave up reading half way through your post - way too long and where are the paragraphs?...

You need to take this up with your travel insurance. There is no way you are going to get SAS to pay for a return ticket that you purchased on your own. As you said yourself this is an unprecedented situation and you will not be able to reply on EC Reg. 261/04 to recover a ticket you purchased on your own when SAS told you that you would offered a return flight under reprotection agreements and eventually did offer you flight (albeit a flight that didn't suit you).
Wow, a 1,446 word paragraph! This could be some sort of record.
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Again I apologize for the length..was trying to include everything so as to avoid being unclear requiring further info and then had to quickly finish and didn’t want to lose it so just sent it off.

The last reply indicates something about my being offered a flight. While yes, I was technically offered a flight “when they resume flights” which I highly doubt will even fly and obviously keeps changing and getting postponed etc and while at the moment SAS thinks they will supposedly fly in a couple of weeks, I suspect will be postponed anyway as it’s quite doubtful the US will be opening borders for travel within the next couple of weeks so realistically speaking is that even a viable option and/or fair to expect me to stay even longer (continuing to incur expenses in so doing) until they decide when they will actually fly again? I suspect it won’t be for at minimum another month or more. The expense of staying would be equal if not more than the ticket I had to purchase if I am to get home. I waited for SAS, doing exactly as instructed, until SAS told me otherwise. Already stayed longer than planned incurring a lot of additional expense but I do certainly thank you for & appreciate your opinion as that is what I am looking for. Sounds like it is also your opinion that it is pointless for me to try to pursue any further compensation either.

No offense but think I’m liking the other responses/opinions thus far a bit better lol in giving me at least some hope suggesting it may be worth an attempt to recover but certainly don’t want to waste a great deal of my time explaining things like this, spinning my wheels, getting frustrated etc either hence why I am seeking these opinions/advice
Old Apr 24, 20, 12:30 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
I think you should definitely try to recover costs, but I don't think you should have very high hopes of succeeding. This whole thing is a bit force majeure, and that gives the airlines some extra wiggle room. I am sure SAS will do what they can, but you are unfortunately just one of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, who are in this situation. Sure, it sucks and it is definitely not your fault. Just be happy that you can get back home at all, and see any compensation above a flat refund as a windfall... Wish I had more helpful advice.
Old Apr 24, 20, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks JR67. Admittedly I’m a bit annoyed/frustrated at having to pay a ridiculous amount to get home now when I waited all of this extra time and could’ve and would’ve certainly booked something much sooner had SAS simply informed they were grounding their flights when they did (done while I was awaiting the rebooked ones) Even booking something a wk ago or 2 or 3 would have been much more reasonable and yes...I will be certainly be quite thankful to finally get home after all of these weeks away waiting (in quarantine too) even grateful if I am able to be present next week for all I need to & have going on, but before celebrating anything, need to make sure none of my upcoming flights get cancelled.. either today, tomorrow, or enroute also praying to make it home safe & healthy will be a longer journey than the norm. Thanks so much for your input!
Old Apr 24, 20, 1:01 am

That's what travel insurance is for. The moment I'd realize SK won't help me and I would be stranded outside my home country I would be on the phone with my insurance getting an ok to buy a new one-way ticket home and get an ok for the extra expenses like extra hotel nights etc if the next available flight is a few days (not weeks!) out.
Old Apr 24, 20, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
That's what travel insurance is for. The moment I'd realize SK won't help me and I would be stranded .....
While yes, that would be most ideal, unfortunately I do not have that option in this case. Ironically it is something always purchased for leisure travel, but this trip was not that in that category for me. This was supposed to be a shorter trip, just 1 of many I must make (6-8 yearly) so unfortunately not something I have in this case and I certainly understand, that without my full perspective, and without getting into much more detail, that this next statement will likely sound crazy to you, but it is also not something I’d likely begin purchasing for each of these particular trips in the future either. I will however certainly look to see if there is anything more we can add to our home insurance. Obviously not a typical situation and I was not feeling stranded per se, just never thought I’d need to purchase a last min 1 way ticket just days prior when airline changes things. I do understand though and appreciate your perspective, opinion and response but respectively, this was also not the opinion/advice I was exactly looking for here and had hoped my explanation would have presented things more clearly in that regard, than it obviously has.
Old Apr 24, 20, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
So the summary is that the SK flights were cancelled, you were initially given information that your return journey would be protected on other airlines, which turned out to be wrong and that there was no protection. You were then told that you could be booked at a later date on SK or given a voucher. You then went ahead and booked yourself a separate ticket home and want a refund for this. Is that about correct?

The minute you unilaterally booked your own ticket you accepted the fact that you may not be seeing that money again. I would have been on the phone to my travel insurance (I see you did not have this, which is a mistake of course) immediately to figure out a solution. I don't think you'll get far with EC261 as these are exceptional circumstances, but I could be wrong. Your best bet is to continue the dialogue with SK to (1) get your voucher for the future flights, and (2) for a goodwill gesture towards your new tickets, but I suspect you won't get far.
Old Apr 24, 20, 6:12 am
Original Poster

yes you are correct in your summary. What I was looking to try to recoup is some if not all of the additional expense incurred given I followed all of their instructions until I just couldn’t anymore given I can’t just wait around indefinitely until they determine when they can fly again. I will be due a full refund of my original ticket cost which unfortunately is less than half of what the last min 1 way is costing. I would never book something so last minute myself either and certainly would have done more about this long ago had I known, but expected all along, until just Monday in fact, to be able to take my (rescheduled)flights back as scheduled since I heard nothing about any cancellations until last week.
Old Apr 24, 20, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Take it up with SK making the simple argument that you were led into false sense of security given what you were told on the phone. I expect you will be told to pound sand, but that's all you can do I think.
Old Apr 24, 20, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Shoredreamer View Post
While yes, that would be most ideal, unfortunately I do not have that option in this case. Ironically it is something always purchased for leisure travel, but this trip was not that in that category for me. This was supposed to be a shorter trip, just 1 of many I must make (6-8 yearly) so unfortunately not something I have in this case and I certainly understand, that without my full perspective, and without getting into much more detail, that this next statement will likely sound crazy to you, but it is also not something I’d likely begin purchasing for each of these particular trips in the future either.
Well, yes... I wouldn't call you crazy for that. But at the same time, would not have any sympathies if you are stuck in a similar situation. There is no reason not to have insurance, especially if you have to travel so often, be it leisure, medical, business or whatever else. Not sure why you think you should buy an insurance for each trip. You buy an insurance once a year for all the trips. And as said, is already could be part of your home insurance... https://www.folksam.se/forsakringar/...seforsakringar or covered by the credit card used to book the travel.
Old Apr 24, 20, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS is weird. They rebooked the return part of my tickets while I was at the airport last month and did so due to this coronavirus situation. And now the re-booking which SAS did for me has been undone somehow, even as SAS has provided me no notification of undoing the changes they made for my booking last month. My guess is they are now going to try to pawn me off to the travel agency. The rebooked flight date was for this weekend, but SAS has cancelled those flights too. Hopefully SAS does what I want done for the return trip, or I am just going to be pushing for a full refund of the original tickets and push to get back a few thousand dollars from SAS that I don’t need but which I won’t let SAS squat on for no good reason for me.

The airline’s duty to care under EC 261/2004 can get interesting at a time like this.

Shoredreamer, finally getting around to signing for closing in Sweden? Sounds like you’re set to get your final bill from lawyers for this.

The last time I was in Ljungby was to visit some relatives living there and working nearby as doctors. One of the last places I would expect to find a UA1K. . Surely you weren’t dreaming of the shore around that Ljungby lake when you joined FT as Shoredreamer.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 24, 20 at 8:50 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: