Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Advice/opinions on last min canceled return ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice/opinions on last min canceled return ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
It looks like SAS stopped selling tickets to EWR till at least May 23rd or sth.
A I mentioned in a parallel thread, I am booked on EWR-ARN-FRA in May.
My flight hasn't officially been cancelled yet, but they definitely aren't selling any tickets for that day anymore (as of now).
Fortunately, there are still 1.5 daily direct flights between EWR and FRA, so I'm hoping that they'll be able to rebook me on one of those.
However, I still haven't decided whether I should stay in New York over summer or go home (I'm studying in the US, so I do have a my own place here).
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If, as it appears, OP chose to rebook himself, that he takes himself out of the protections of EC 261/2004 and is on his own. He is due a refund for the unflown segments of his ticket and perhaps a duty of care for some period of time. But, not more.

Nonetheless, OP ought to seek out SK on the grounds that he was misled. Any complaint needs to be pared down to not one word more than 3 short declarative sentences. Anything more will not be understood or read.

In the end, in the current circumstances, if he cannot turn to travel insurance, he will likely need to file an appropriate small claims case and let that play out.

For the broader audience, anyone who travels overseas 6-8 times a year ought to have comprehensive annual insurance policy which, at a minimum, covers repatriation. While Covid-19 may be a one-off, there are many other situations where travel patterns may be interrupted and getting back neither easy nor cheap.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
.. And as said, is already could be part of your home insurance... https://www.folksam.se/forsakringar/...seforsakringar or covered by the credit card used to book the travel.
Very interesting info...thank you so much, didn’t even think of that at all (!!) the ticket was purchased with the SAS amex (elite), it certainly costs enough to have so I will definitely look into that and see if there is any additional covered benefit. We do have our home ins through Länsförsakringar and are otherwise quite pleased with our experience. When I spoke to them about this, they told me they were only covering medical issues but given we are about to move anyway, it seems a most appropriate time to potentially upgrade the policy/coverage anyway. It is only when traveling to the US that I don’t purchase additional anything, and without getting too detailed again, it’s because I do also have dual residency/citizenship including a separate medical policy for use while there as well.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The last time I was in Ljungby was to visit some relatives living there and working nearby as doctors....
lol I’ve only been in Ljungby for just over 5 years now so certainly not where I was at when joining FT & nothing to do with I think perhaps you are referring to Bolmen Thanks for putting a smile on my face at a time when it’s been otherwise not so easy. I am so ready to get back, especially this time of year, though must first get through the return journey without any cancellation and also the busy week ahead. With exception to what I need to do earlier in the week, I was planning on at least trying to quarantine myself for 14 days before I can be somewhat certain that I haven’t gotten sick in enroute although I’m getting the impression this is not the normal culture there right now, as it has been where I’ve been staying for the past many weeks.

Thank you to the others who have replied. I do find the opinions/advice to invaluable so again I really do thank you all!!! Sounds like the majority recommends at least making the attempt with SAS. I will certainly try to be more succinct as well when writing in, but difficult when also trying to include what I thought would be necessary details but obviously went a bit overboard to put it mildly :/ please be kind if you choose to quote me on this one
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Worse yet, maybe It was a reference to the shore of the river in town.

Self-isolating is not the usual culture here right now and it’s way less usual in Smalland and surroundings except for those who are elderly, have serious underlying health conditions or are confirmed cases. Even if a member of a Swedish household is a positive case for this virus, the other members of the household may be up to business as usual with school (for the younger kids at least), work and so on.

I will have to deal with SAS sometime this weekend to see what they will do for me for my SAS flight cancelations ... and do it before they try to make an excuse that I didn’t contact them in time for a cancelled flight booking for bookings that SAS took over from the travel agency.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 24, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Worse yet, maybe It was a reference to the shore of the river in town.

Self-isolating is not the usual culture here right now and it’s way less usual in Smalland and surroundings except for those who are elderly, have serious underlying health conditions or are confirmed cases. Even if a member of a Swedish household is a positive case for this virus, the other members of the household may be up to business as usual with school (for the younger kids at least), work and so on.
I don’t think I can even comment on this one. After spending the last 6 wks in quarantine it’s been ingrained that we must take steps to both protect ourselves and others....very different cultures.

I will have to deal with SAS sometime this weekend to see what they will do for me for my SAS flight cancelations ... and do it before they try to make an excuse that I didn’t contact them in time for a cancelled flight booking for bookings that SAS took over from the travel agency.
Good luck with this. After calling them so many times as instructed the end result was they will refund you on flights they have cancelled or book you on SAS metal once up and running again and in some cases have scheduled flights but even admit they have no idea if they will even fly. They did tell me it didn’t matter when you canceled, saying it could even be after flight. Of course who knows if the answer will be consistent the next time asked but I haven’t “canceled” my flights yet either as I plan to at least wait until I’m on the ones I booked first, just in case anything else gets cancelled. In your case I guess there is no reason to wait unless you plan to rebook instead of refund.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I prefer to get rebooked for the same destination .... as long as they don’t push to re-price. Last time they rebooked me due to this virus situation, they didn’t reprice my travel but I was told the policy was that it needed to be rebooked prior to ticketed travel date (or maybe it was ticketed departure time).
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
Well, yes... I wouldn't call you crazy for that. But at the same time, would not have any sympathies if you are stuck in a similar situation. There is no reason not to have insurance, especially if you have to travel so often, be it leisure, medical, business or whatever else. Not sure why you think you should buy an insurance for each trip. You buy an insurance once a year for all the trips. And as said, is already could be part of your home insurance... https://www.folksam.se/forsakringar/...seforsakringar or covered by the credit card used to book the travel.
I travel a lot without an insurance, or more precisely without a travel insurance that protects me from cancellations like that. (I would never travel without a suitable healthcare insurance in all involved travel points.) But for me this whole story, however annoying and irritating, does not sound as a disaster. As far as I understand, the OP has 'just' lost the equivalent of one rotation. This is exactly how I handle things. I loose tickets, but as long as this is a small handful a year, things are very manageable within my yearly travel budget. This roughly corresponds to the other several trips being 10-15% more expensive which is within the usual price fluctuations. My reserved yearly travel budget is basically my travel insurance.

(Of course, I do not know anything about financial basis for OP's travel, which could be dire).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.