SAS closes CPH-HKG

Old May 8, 2020, 4:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US CBP Preclearance at ARN was always a pipe-dream by advocates of CBP Preclearance expansion. I’m glad that pipe-dream ended up going up in smoke and down in ashes and that CBP Preclearance at ARN is unlikely to get meaningfully resurrected for quite some time (and hopefully then some more time on top of that).

CBP Preclearance at CPH would be even worse for me than at ARN, so I’m glad to see CBP Preclearance expansion get frustrated at each and every Schengen airport when this comes up.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:16 am

When the decision to introduce preclearance was initially introduced, I had the impression that Swedavia thought that it would improve U.S. bound connections from ARN. In my opinion, that was an unrealistic view, as preclearance is very time-consuming. Preclearance can only be beneficial for nonstop passengers, or for passengers with connections in the U.S. But it comes at a high cost, and it was very unrealistic to think that Norwegian, with their huge losses on intercontinental flights, would be able to bear such costs. So, the whole preclearance thing was a Swedavia pipe dream from the very start.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:37 am
Suspended

It was a US Government pipe dream from the very start in 2015 when DHS targeted the following airports to push out our reach with US CBP Preclearance: “Brussels Airport, Belgium; Punta Cana Airport, Dominican Republic; Narita International Airport, Japan; Amsterdam Airport Schipol, Netherlands; Oslo Airport, Norway; Madrid-Barajas Airport, Spain; Stockholm Arlanda Airport, Sweden; Istanbul Ataturk Airport, Turkey; and London Heathrow Airport and Manchester Airport, United Kingdom”.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:28 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Typical marketing bs lingo.

"SAS is determined to continue to serve Asia from Scandinavia including several direct routes and connectivity to a large number of cites in the region."

Several routes? PVG and PEK/BEJ. Well... two is more than one, so several. If we are generous we throw NRT into the mix and have three.
Don't forget HND, GZP, and BEY.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the current situation with reduced air travel demand, what would be the point of a major, decade/decades-long, super expensive construction project to completely redesign the airport? Maybe as a make-work project as a form of fiscal stimulus?
I wasn't advocating for any major construction or overhaul, I was just highlighting why ARN is such a mess and so many other things in Swedish society. For me ARN is never a transfer airport and I'm fine with its perhaps strange design. I'm also generally happy with airports and terminals that are efficient and small. Sweden would be much better off investing in other much more crucial infrastructure than airport rebuilds, such as utility services for everyone, adequate road capacity to/from/through the capital and general mobility needs such as parking. Unless they would turn Bromma into a useful airport for people that are not politicians.

Would have really liked to see pre-clearance but not that big a deal now the US has cleaned up its act with entry machines at the airports I enter the country 95% of my travel.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:57 am
Suspended

Arlanda’s idea of investing in itself: they place all reserved parking spaces for diplomatic cars at the airport at the short-term car parking lot at Terminal 5.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Forget it, zero chance.

Unless you accept to be rebooked via PVG/PEK there will be no other alternative than to cancel/refund (and G knows when you will receive a refund these days).
Do you know what the EU Regulation says about that? Do I have the right to Claim beeing rebooked with SQ in order to avoid a delay of 13 hours?
Old May 17, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No, you don't. There is no right to be rebooked to any odd and way more expensive itinerary when SK booked you into their flights same day via PEK. If you can't accept the delay, ask to travel the previous day - or ask for a refund or book on your own if you really want to travel SG via SIN. I assume that if you were to pay for the ticket yourself you would never book a SG ticket via SIN and CPH.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I wasn't advocating for any major construction or overhaul, I was just highlighting why ARN is such a mess and so many other things in Swedish society. For me ARN is never a transfer airport and I'm fine with its perhaps strange design. I'm also generally happy with airports and terminals that are efficient and small. Sweden would be much better off investing in other much more crucial infrastructure than airport rebuilds, such as utility services for everyone, adequate road capacity to/from/through the capital and general mobility needs such as parking..
Road infrastructure is very good in Sweden, you almost never stop from Malmo to Gavle, about 800 kilometers and thats through stockholm on a Friday afternoon 3pm.

Parking, plenty of it albiet expensive and who is not getting utilities?? If you mean water, electricity? I dont know any such place without it in the whole of Sweden...maybe a mountain hut or some such.

The transport to and from Arlanda works but its costly, roughly 200SEK for a single train ticket whatever train you use and taxi can be just crazy. Bus from Uppsala is kinda expensive for what it is but it works too.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by nussle
The transport to and from Arlanda works but its costly, roughly 200SEK for a single train ticket whatever train you use and taxi can be just crazy. Bus from Uppsala is kinda expensive for what it is but it works too.
Train tickets suffer from the fact that A-Train, which has the sole right to operate train stations at Arlanda, require a SEK 120 user fee for the stations. But a bus ticket from Uppsala can be had for as little as 78, while from Stockholm it's 99. If you're willing to take the commuter train to Marsta and switch to bus 583 to Arlanda, you can get all the way from Stockholm to Arlanda for 37.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The few times I have taken the Arlanda Express I have felt it like a complete rip-off (despite the low SEK exchange rate). Numerous times I have taken the airport bus.
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedChili
Train tickets suffer from the fact that A-Train, which has the sole right to operate train stations at Arlanda, require a SEK 120 user fee for the stations. But a bus ticket from Uppsala can be had for as little as 78, while from Stockholm it's 99. If you're willing to take the commuter train to Marsta and switch to bus 583 to Arlanda, you can get all the way from Stockholm to Arlanda for 37.
Except for the times I went to Radisson Royal Viking or Clarion Hotel Sign, I have never really been a user of the Arlanda Express. But to those two locations I always found it really convenient, and kind of worth the rip off. Our offices have always been north of the City, Kista and Solna, so there has never really been a point to take the train in to the city and some form transport back out again. So as I was basically always a taxi passenger, I never found the price of the Arlanda Express that bad. Looking at Heathrow Express, Narita Express, and Oslo I can of just write it off as the price for an airport train. Though being from Copenhagen, I should have a frame of reference.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Except for the times I went to Radisson Royal Viking or Clarion Hotel Sign, I have never really been a user of the Arlanda Express. But to those two locations I always found it really convenient, and kind of worth the rip off. Our offices have always been north of the City, Kista and Solna, so there has never really been a point to take the train in to the city and some form transport back out again. So as I was basically always a taxi passenger, I never found the price of the Arlanda Express that bad. Looking at Heathrow Express, Narita Express, and Oslo I can of just write it off as the price for an airport train. Though being from Copenhagen, I should have a frame of reference.
In the case of Oslo, Flytoget is a total ripoff in my opinion, considering that the time gained vs NSB/Vy is rather minimal, nor is there any significant increase in "comfort". Atleast in the case of Narita, there is a clear benefit to taking Narita Express or Keisei Skyliner compared to local trains or buses and whatnot.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Superrman
In the case of Oslo, Flytoget is a total ripoff in my opinion, considering that the time gained vs NSB/Vy is rather minimal, nor is there any significant increase in "comfort". Atleast in the case of Narita, there is a clear benefit to taking Narita Express or Keisei Skyliner compared to local trains or buses and whatnot.
Our office is in Fornebu, so I always found the Oslo Airport train convenient, with a relatively short taxi hop after, or even as I learned the bus went door to door to the station. I never checked the time difference to the regular trains. Maybe I should have. But starting before Oslo S always meant a seat available even on Friday afternoon. Oslo S is somewhat of a scramble for seats.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Our office is in Fornebu, so I always found the Oslo Airport train convenient, with a relatively short taxi hop after, or even as I learned the bus went door to door to the station. I never checked the time difference to the regular trains. Maybe I should have. But starting before Oslo S always meant a seat available even on Friday afternoon. Oslo S is somewhat of a scramble for seats.
The difference between Flytoget and regular train on the Oslo S-OSL stretch is either 1 minute or 4 minutes (Flytoget being 4 minutes quicker if there is no stop at Lillestrm), and the regular train is about half the price. From Lysaker (closest station to Fornebu IIRC), Flytoget takes 33/35 minutes while Vy uses 36, again with regular train costing around half
Seat availability is a legitimate concern though, I can understand that. Personally I rarely end up boarding before Nationaltheateret, and more often at Oslo S, so at that point it's a bit same-same in terms of seat space in my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.