SAS closes CPH-HKG

Old Apr 22, 20, 3:04 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LEJ
Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Posts: 214
My redemption ticket for November is still active inkl. Ticket number. Will they cancel this soon to get the EB points back?
denkigroove is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 6:58 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by denkigroove View Post
My redemption ticket for November is still active inkl. Ticket number. Will they cancel this soon to get the EB points back?
If it's an SAS bonus ticket, my advice would be to cancel it yourself, as this will give you an instant points refund - however, if you still would like to go, they should be able to reroute you (even on flights which are not open for redemption).
SecretGuy is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 10:49 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LEJ
Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by SecretGuy View Post
If it's an SAS bonus ticket, my advice would be to cancel it yourself, as this will give you an instant points refund - however, if you still would like to go, they should be able to reroute you (even on flights which are not open for redemption).
After I wrote this an automatic rebooking mail arrived. They booked me one day later from PEK - no HKG-PEK leg attached. Ive called and cancelled it and like u wrote points were instantly back.
denkigroove is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 1:18 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,170
My EB award ticket was also rebooked to/from PEK today. No onward leg to/from HKG.

Still undecided if I want to travel/reroute or I will ask for a full refund and book another destination for the summer holidays, so I will leave at that for a while. No rush I assume.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 23, 20 at 4:45 am Reason: spelling
SK AAR is online now  
Old Apr 23, 20, 6:00 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
My EB award ticket was also rebooked to/from PEK today. No onward leg to/from HKG.

Still undecided if I want to travel/reroute or I will ask for a full refund and book another destination for the summer holidays, so I will leave at that for a while. No rush I assume.
same here, had booked SAS from HKG earlier this year, which I pushed back to October after SAS cancelled HKG flights in March, but now SAS put me onto PEK with no connection from HKG. I have not decided what to do with the booking yet, and I don't think I would want to transit PEK, whether or not transit is practically possible for non-PRC nationals.

Last edited by hkgg; Apr 23, 20 at 6:14 am
hkgg is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 6:05 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,172
Originally Posted by hkgg View Post
same here, had booked SAS from HKG earlier this year, which I pushed back to October after being SAS cancelled in March, but now SAS put me onto PEK with no connection from HKG. I have not decided what to do with the booking yet, and I don't think I would want to transit PEK, whether or not transit is practically possible for non-PRC nationals.
I'm pretty sure there will be no transit in PEK. They changed destination to PEK and want you to just accept it. Cheap move from SK.
fassy is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 6:17 am
  #22  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 38,805
Normally the cancellation of a route is associated with a reprotection agreement with another carrier to get people to the cancelled destination. The automatic rebooking that the ATC is doing probably has not been fed with the rules to do a better job. Sadly once the ATC has rebooked and reissued the ticket it is no longer in the control of the agency that issued the ticket and SAS has to fix the reservation and reissue the ticket.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:10 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,172
SK has a reprotection agreement with CX and HX for ax booked to HKG. But I guess, they will only make that available for revenue passengers, not for EuroBonus tickets.
fassy is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:12 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Yes, will definitely have to call SAS to fix my ticket. The auto rebook onto the PEK flight also meant that I will land in CPH a few hours after the departure of my original SAS connecting flight at CPH, so the connection has to be fixed as well.

I'm just holding off cause there's still some time between now and Oct and I'm not even sure if we can take off at that point....
hkgg is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:20 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,170
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
SK has a reprotection agreement with CX and HX for ax booked to HKG. But I guess, they will only make that available for revenue passengers, not for EuroBonus tickets.
Yes, it seems so.
There is no doubt that award tickets are more complex to rebook, in particular as it will involve buying revenue seats with carriers outside Star Alliance. My guess is that SK is very reluctant to pay for revenue segments to/from HKG for EB award tickets and will try to get away with rebooking to PEK only or alternatively to PVG. For the time being I will do nothing about my EB award reservation (now to PEK rather than HKG).
SK AAR is online now  
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:24 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
SK has a reprotection agreement with CX and HX for ax booked to HKG. But I guess, they will only make that available for revenue passengers, not for EuroBonus tickets.
And as I understand from the press release attached by the OP, SK only has a re-protection agreement with CX/HX for PEK/PVG - HKG, and in the case that non-PRC nationals cannot transit PRC, then that CX/HX re-protection agreement has limited use.
hkgg is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:51 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,172
Originally Posted by hkgg View Post
And as I understand from the press release attached by the OP, SK only has a re-protection agreement with CX/HX for PEK/PVG - HKG, and in the case that non-PRC nationals cannot transit PRC, then that CX/HX re-protection agreement has limited use.
True, there is no reprotection agreement for e.g. CPH-ZRH-HKG with CX. But I'm not sure why a transit at PEK or PVG should be a problem for non-PRC nationals? Sure, right now it is a mess, but for whenever the regular flights are back in operation and lockdown lifted across the globe, it should be fine.
fassy is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 8:14 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
True, there is no reprotection agreement for e.g. CPH-ZRH-HKG with CX. But I'm not sure why a transit at PEK or PVG should be a problem for non-PRC nationals? Sure, right now it is a mess, but for whenever the regular flights are back in operation and lockdown lifted across the globe, it should be fine.
Yes, you are probably right. I was thinking more of the short term, since flights to PEK had to be diverted for tests to be conducted before allowing incoming pax to even land in PEK. Not sure if flights to PVG are operating normally. So it doesn't seem to me to be feasible to rely solely on transits in mainland China to reroute SK pax?
hkgg is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 8:19 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,172
Well, currently there are no Scandinavia-PEK/PVG flights in the air anyway

So, I guess you have to wait and see how the situation will be once flights to China tale off again.
fassy is offline  
Old Apr 24, 20, 2:55 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 4
Do you think they might agree to rebook HKG-SIN-CPH-OSL?
SK has a joint venture with SQ.
With beeing rebooked via PEK, I will arrive at OSL 13 hours later as planned.
DABUE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: