Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS closes CPH-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
My redemption ticket for November is still active inkl. Ticket number. Will they cancel this soon to get the EB points back?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denkigroove
My redemption ticket for November is still active inkl. Ticket number. Will they cancel this soon to get the EB points back?
If it's an SAS bonus ticket, my advice would be to cancel it yourself, as this will give you an instant points refund - however, if you still would like to go, they should be able to reroute you (even on flights which are not open for redemption).
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by SecretGuy
If it's an SAS bonus ticket, my advice would be to cancel it yourself, as this will give you an instant points refund - however, if you still would like to go, they should be able to reroute you (even on flights which are not open for redemption).
After I wrote this an automatic rebooking mail arrived. They booked me one day later from PEK - no HKG-PEK leg attached. I‘ve called and cancelled it and like u wrote points were instantly back.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
My EB award ticket was also rebooked to/from PEK today. No onward leg to/from HKG.

Still undecided if I want to travel/reroute or I will ask for a full refund and book another destination for the summer holidays, so I will leave at that for a while. No rush I assume.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 23, 2020 at 4:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
My EB award ticket was also rebooked to/from PEK today. No onward leg to/from HKG.

Still undecided if I want to travel/reroute or I will ask for a full refund and book another destination for the summer holidays, so I will leave at that for a while. No rush I assume.
same here, had booked SAS from HKG earlier this year, which I pushed back to October after SAS cancelled HKG flights in March, but now SAS put me onto PEK with no connection from HKG. I have not decided what to do with the booking yet, and I don't think I would want to transit PEK, whether or not transit is practically possible for non-PRC nationals.

Last edited by hkgg; Apr 23, 2020 at 6:14 am
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by hkgg
same here, had booked SAS from HKG earlier this year, which I pushed back to October after being SAS cancelled in March, but now SAS put me onto PEK with no connection from HKG. I have not decided what to do with the booking yet, and I don't think I would want to transit PEK, whether or not transit is practically possible for non-PRC nationals.
I'm pretty sure there will be no transit in PEK. They changed destination to PEK and want you to just accept it. Cheap move from SK.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Normally the cancellation of a route is associated with a reprotection agreement with another carrier to get people to the cancelled destination. The automatic rebooking that the ATC is doing probably has not been fed with the rules to do a better job. Sadly once the ATC has rebooked and reissued the ticket it is no longer in the control of the agency that issued the ticket and SAS has to fix the reservation and reissue the ticket.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:10 am

SK has a reprotection agreement with CX and HX for ax booked to HKG. But I guess, they will only make that available for revenue passengers, not for EuroBonus tickets.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:12 am

Yes, will definitely have to call SAS to fix my ticket. The auto rebook onto the PEK flight also meant that I will land in CPH a few hours after the departure of my original SAS connecting flight at CPH, so the connection has to be fixed as well.

I'm just holding off cause there's still some time between now and Oct and I'm not even sure if we can take off at that point....
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by fassy
SK has a reprotection agreement with CX and HX for ax booked to HKG. But I guess, they will only make that available for revenue passengers, not for EuroBonus tickets.
Yes, it seems so.
There is no doubt that award tickets are more complex to rebook, in particular as it will involve buying revenue seats with carriers outside Star Alliance. My guess is that SK is very reluctant to pay for revenue segments to/from HKG for EB award tickets and will try to get away with rebooking to PEK only or alternatively to PVG. For the time being I will do nothing about my EB award reservation (now to PEK rather than HKG).
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:24 am

And as I understand from the press release attached by the OP, SK only has a re-protection agreement with CX/HX for PEK/PVG - HKG, and in the case that non-PRC nationals cannot transit PRC, then that CX/HX re-protection agreement has limited use.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by hkgg
And as I understand from the press release attached by the OP, SK only has a re-protection agreement with CX/HX for PEK/PVG - HKG, and in the case that non-PRC nationals cannot transit PRC, then that CX/HX re-protection agreement has limited use.
True, there is no reprotection agreement for e.g. CPH-ZRH-HKG with CX. But I'm not sure why a transit at PEK or PVG should be a problem for non-PRC nationals? Sure, right now it is a mess, but for whenever the regular flights are back in operation and lockdown lifted across the globe, it should be fine.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:14 am

True, there is no reprotection agreement for e.g. CPH-ZRH-HKG with CX. But I'm not sure why a transit at PEK or PVG should be a problem for non-PRC nationals? Sure, right now it is a mess, but for whenever the regular flights are back in operation and lockdown lifted across the globe, it should be fine.
Yes, you are probably right. I was thinking more of the short term, since flights to PEK had to be diverted for tests to be conducted before allowing incoming pax to even land in PEK. Not sure if flights to PVG are operating normally. So it doesn't seem to me to be feasible to rely solely on transits in mainland China to reroute SK pax?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:19 am

Well, currently there are no Scandinavia-PEK/PVG flights in the air anyway

So, I guess you have to wait and see how the situation will be once flights to China tale off again.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:55 am

Do you think they might agree to rebook HKG-SIN-CPH-OSL?
SK has a joint venture with SQ.
With beeing rebooked via PEK, I will arrive at OSL 13 hours later as planned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.