Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Points expiration in times of COVID19

Old Apr 1, 20, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF P, DL DM, BA S, HH G, MR P

I've got a decent amount of points due to expire on 31/05/20 (more than 26K). While other programs put miles/points expiration on hold I couldn't find anything in communications from SAS. Has anyone heard something? If no blank policy maybe they would agree to extend validity on request? At the same time I feel like I might not be getting a response from them before 31/05/20.

To add insult to injury SAS discontinued Star Alliance awards online booking engine.

What's the best course of actions?
Old Apr 1, 20, 8:29 pm

Here is their policy. I think you fall under their 3rd from the bottom FAQ:

https://www.flysas.com/us-en/traffic...ona-eurobonus/

I suppose that the policy may change depending on how long the current situation persists...
Old Apr 2, 20, 2:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Can you just use them for a flight booked at a time later in the year or next year?
Old Apr 2, 20, 8:59 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by urww View Post
I've got a decent amount of points due to expire on 31/05/20 (more than 26K). While other programs put miles/points expiration on hold I couldn't find anything in communications from SAS. Has anyone heard something? If no blank policy maybe they would agree to extend validity on request? At the same time I feel like I might not be getting a response from them before 31/05/20.

To add insult to injury SAS discontinued Star Alliance awards online booking engine.

Write to SK and explain the situation. They are doing a case by case point and status extension/waivers. You can use the contact form you find in the bottom of the SK web site.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by urww View Post

I got 30k point which expired end of March (from a total 70k). I was going to spend the whole lot in the Eurobonus shop but they cap spending to 5k/week due to Coronavirus and let's face it for 5k you can only get rubbish. As I had received email from other airlines saying they will freeze expiration of points, I was hoping SAS would do the same. But They didn't. After my point expired, I contacted them to tell them that it was not really fair as I couldn't spend my point due to their 5k/wk restrictions. They replied rather rudely that I had 4years to spend them. And that expired point cannot be recovered as they couldn't change the rule. Well the rule doesn't say they'll put a restriction to 5k, but they did. So they're willing to change it only when it goes their way.
I'm not to please with them right now
Anyway you should start spending now before it's too late
Old Apr 3, 20, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Write to SK and explain the situation. They are doing a case by case point and status extension/waivers. You can use the contact form you find in the bottom of the SK web site.
I have not seen any statement on points, just status. I have not looked too carefully either, as in my case my earliest expiry is 2022.

Was that also in the insideflyer article you mentioned in the status thread?
Old Apr 3, 20, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I have not seen any statement on points, just status. I have not looked too carefully either, as in my case my earliest expiry is 2022.

Was that also in the insideflyer article you mentioned in the status thread?
No. I have a friend who got extension on points used for an Award flights which were canceled.
Old Apr 5, 20, 2:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
I found 2 FAQs on the Eurobonus section of the SAS website:

I have points that will expire, can I have my soon expired points extended?Currently, this extraordinary situation forces SAS to undertake extraordinary measures across the entire customer offering, including EuroBonus, which naturally affects many customers.

We are sorry for the inconvenience but given the situation, SAS will not be able to extend the validity of
points that either has expired or will expire in near future.

I have points that will expire – how can I use them in this situation?Currently we offer you to book an award trip with SAS – and remember SAS Bonus tickets are always fully refundable and rebookable up until 24h before departure.

You can also use your points to partly pay for your ordinary SAS ticket. Bonus flights with SAS can be booked up to 330 days in advance.

Hotels stays can be booked for points.

Points can be used at SAS EuroBonus shop up to 5.000 points/member per week (temporary restriction). Points and credit cards can be combined for partial payment in points.

Last edited by Saint4805; Apr 5, 20 at 2:48 am
Old Apr 5, 20, 2:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
I guess the above means we can make an award booking far into the future with points that are about to expire and then rebook when travel plans are known?
Old Apr 5, 20, 7:19 pm

Programs: Free agent
Easy solution is for them to copy AY+ and have points always valid as long as there is account activity at least once every 18 months. Of course many may not like this as some fear devaluations.
Old Apr 5, 20, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Easy solution is for them to copy AY+ and have points always valid as long as there is account activity at least once every 18 months. Of course many may not like this as some fear devaluations.
I do kind of like this approach, AA has it, BA has it, Marriott has it, and many others I am sure. As long as you have activities your points will not expire. For AA even buying 1000 points, or making a redemption counts for extension. Of course it would cut one of the few Diamond perks, no expiry of your points....
Old Apr 5, 20, 9:04 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I do kind of like this approach, AA has it, BA has it, Marriott has it, and many others I am sure. As long as you have activities your points will not expire. For AA even buying 1000 points, or making a redemption counts for extension. Of course it would cut one of the few Diamond perks, no expiry of your points....
AA will even extend the points for making a 1000pts charity donation, no transfer fees. However in terms of value, it depends on what your balance is. If one had 10 000 or so points, then I'd consider buying, but with a 100 000 balance I'd donate.
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:37 am

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LouPapy View Post
I got 30k point which expired end of March (from a total 70k). I was going to spend the whole lot in the Eurobonus shop but they cap spending to 5k/week due to Coronavirus and let's face it for 5k you can only get rubbish. As I had received email from other airlines saying they will freeze expiration of points, I was hoping SAS would do the same. But They didn't. After my point expired, I contacted them to tell them that it was not really fair as I couldn't spend my point due to their 5k/wk restrictions. They replied rather rudely that I had 4years to spend them. And that expired point cannot be recovered as they couldn't change the rule. Well the rule doesn't say they'll put a restriction to 5k, but they did. So they're willing to change it only when it goes their way.
I'm not to please with them right now
Anyway you should start spending now before it's too late

SK customer service at its best 😂😂

actually silly responses like this and others that were judt arrogant and rude got me to switch away from SK last year as a EBD. competent customer care is rather important in a Airline!

for me they claimed I had used my gift gold card allready even though they documented that I had used it before it was even possible 😁 no matter what I just kept getting the same cut and paste reply so I just started crediting miles miles to Finnair!

if a Diamond gets crap service then no point in being Diamond 😂 worthless and a waste of time to argue a point just to get cut and paste replies! 👎👎
Old Apr 8, 20, 7:21 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by kauppias View Post

actually silly responses like this and others that were judt arrogant and rude got me to switch away from SK last year as a EBD. competent customer care is rather important in a Airline!

for me they claimed I had used my gift gold card allready even though they documented that I had used it before it was even possible 😁 no matter what I just kept getting the same cut and paste reply so I just started crediting miles miles to Finnair!

if a Diamond gets crap service then no point in being Diamond 😂 worthless and a waste of time to argue a point just to get cut and paste replies! 👎👎
Interestingly, I've heard the story about them refusing to let a person gift a gold card in one period elsewhere as well.... They had bugs where people where able to gift gold cards 3 times by qualifying for EBD once but then ....ed it up for others who qualified for every period, when they fixed it.
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by kauppias View Post

So when finnair messes up too, you will skip them too? I wonder how long it will take you to get through all the airlines before there is no one left for you to turn too.

In my view, the SK customer service is generally better than any of the customer service of any airlines I've been using for the last 10 years. Yes they messes up from time to time, but they are only humans and other airlines messes up too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: