Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Points expiration in times of COVID19

Points expiration in times of COVID19

Old Jun 3, 20, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Are there still restrictions on who you can book for? I know I have booked flights for friends coming to Japan on my points, at that point it was technically not allowed but the agent did not stop when I said "I am booking for a friend, and am not flying myself"
No, there are no such restrictions.
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
No, there are no such restrictions.
Good to know.
Old Jun 28, 20, 6:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB Gold, EB
Originally Posted by Saint4805 View Post
For those who have Eurobonus points about to expire, is the smart choice to book am award trip as late as possible (April/May 2021) in the hope that things are back to normal or a new normal? I was thinking of booking an award flight from Stockholm to Aberdeen in October but perhaps it's too soon and too risky?
I'm considering doing this, however the rebooking rules only apply if the points have not expired...

Changes: Rebooking is permitted up to 24 hours before outbound departure, provided the points are still valid.

What to do? I have 22.000 point expiring in the end of July.
Old Jun 28, 20, 7:12 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by chokeman View Post
I'm considering doing this, however the rebooking rules only apply if the points have not expired...

Changes: Rebooking is permitted up to 24 hours before outbound departure, provided the points are still valid.

What to do? I have 22.000 point expiring in the end of July.
As I have suggested previously in this thread, you can transfer the points for 110 (5 per 1000pts) to a friend or family and that'll extend the expiration.
Old Jun 29, 20, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF P, DL DM, BA S, HH G, MR P
Update on my case.

Unfortunately the suggestion to transfer points came too late for me. I honestly didn't think about it (even though I transferred miles from family members to my account previously). Could be perfectly fine option for me - pay 5 eur for 1K or otherwise lose everything. So I decided to gamble and booked LED-ARN the first date it was open for 18K hoping it would get cancelled (considering how dire things with covid in Russia are). Looks like I lucked out. My flight is pulled out from schedule (inventory zeroed out), still not cancelled though. I believe SAS would be waiting until very last moment to cancel it in order not to process refunds for as long as possible.

For the remaining 6K I booked OSL-EVE for April 2021. The idea was to change a date once (it was in FAQ) and actually use a ticket in May/June 2021. Then they changed FAQ adding restrictions on booking dates and flight dates (I'm not within the frameworks). So these 6K will most probably be lost.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:03 pm

SAS discontinued Star Alliance awards online booking, but has anyone had any lucky doing it over the phone? Or are SA bookings completely suspended at this point?
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:14 am
Original Poster

chokeman, here is my experience in May:
Originally Posted by urww View Post
As I noticed I had a very nice agent who was willing to check Star Alliance availability when I mentioned it's unfair to limit my redemption options and force points to expire. The system is up and running. He was able to locate availability and prepare a reservation for TK flights to SEZ (the award I was going to spend my points). Then put me on hold to get an authorisation for ticketing. He wasn't allowed to issue a ticket by a supervisor.
So it's completely suspended. They would prefer your points expire rather than pay reimbursement to partners.
Old Jul 1, 20, 6:15 am

urww this is so bad!
I'll try and call then today anyway, who knows maybe this policy has changed since May. I doubt it though. Will report back.
Old Jul 1, 20, 6:28 am
Original Poster

chokeman, good luck man! Otherwise you can try the same trick and book an award for a SAS flights with high probability of cancellation. This bears certain risk though.
Old Jul 2, 20, 6:25 am

I've just spoken to sas on the phone and can confirm that Star Alliance bookings are not available at all.

I guess now I either transfer the expiring points to someone else or book some random ticket way in advance. What a shame!
Old Jul 6, 20, 6:17 am

Just got my Aug flight cancelled. Can't believe SAS expired some points which should expire in Dec 2020. Even though, expired points should still be returned if the flight was cancelled according their policy for Covid. Obviously not in practical.
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:16 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Anyone actually had expired points extended due to cancelled flight?

Had an award ticket for mid-July that was cancelled. Called customer service and they confirmed that any expired points would be extended by 1 year because the flight was cancelled by SAS so I went ahead with refund. Sure enough points returned but same day the expired points lapsed.

Second call to customer service confirmed the points should have been extended but she (apparently the one person) who handles those extensions was not in the office that day. Still waiting, so looking for data - will it take weeks, months to reinstate the points?
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THD View Post
Anyone actually had expired points extended due to cancelled flight?

Had an award ticket for mid-July that was cancelled. Called customer service and they confirmed that any expired points would be extended by 1 year because the flight was cancelled by SAS so I went ahead with refund. Sure enough points returned but same day the expired points lapsed.

Second call to customer service confirmed the points should have been extended but she (apparently the one person) who handles those extensions was not in the office that day. Still waiting, so looking for data - will it take weeks, months to reinstate the points?
My experience was a bit different. When I called in I was told they would cancel a ticket and process refund of fees and taxes. Points won't be returned and extended automatically though (points are back and immediately expired). So I would need to email [email protected] and ask them to reinstate points. I shot an email on 22/7 and never heard back. No points so far either.
Old Aug 2, 20, 7:19 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
I can update that in my case the expired points were reinstated with extended validity after approx 3,5 weeks.
Old Aug 4, 20, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by urww View Post
So I would need to email [email protected] and ask them to reinstate points. I shot an email on 22/7 and never heard back.
Haha! That's hilarious! Just got an email from [email protected]:
Thank you for your request for retroactive EuroBonus points.

We regret that on this occasion we are unable to meet your request.

Please note that Retro EuroBonus department handle cases only related to crediting points for flight activities.
The airline is really a piece of embarrassment for Scandinavia.
romans likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: