Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Points expiration in times of COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points expiration in times of COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Well... looks like no good options are on the table, only bad ones. I do agree with others it's totally pathetic. I mean being so pettifogging with not pausing points expiration is bad enough (and the optics of such move! basically every other major program minus LH did so). Then to add insult to injury they severely limited options to spend points. Tricksters. They're not ashamed to basically take advantage of the situation and do fast track liability reduction within EuroBonus.

I couldn't find how to write in. Contact Us has only phone numbers listed and a couple of non relevant emails for US market. I called US and SE numbers - never got through. Then I called Russian phone number (one has to wonder why they still have one), no wait, talked to a pretty nice lady who advised no policy in place and suggested to call back in a month.

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
No. I have a friend who got extension on points used for an Award flights which were canceled.
Would be a go to option if nothing better pops up by the end of May - booking an award and hoping the flight would get cancelled.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They do allow for one rebooking with expired points. Which they normally don't.
At least something, but that would apply only to SAS flights as you can't book any Star Alliance flights at the moment.
​​​​​
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by urww
I do agree with others it's totally pathetic. I mean being so pettifogging with not pausing points expiration is bad enough (and the optics of such move! basically every other major program minus LH did so). Then to add insult to injury they severely limited options to spend points. Tricksters. They're not ashamed to basically take advantage of the situation and do fast track liability reduction within EuroBonus.
​​​​​
Perhaps, you hit the nail on its head. It might be that SK matches their actions to LH. It might be just showing whom they consider as a serious competitor in their home markets, at least when it comes to 'stealing' frequent fliers.
I am also surprised that they limited the physical shopping, at least according to reports here. I always thought that selling through the physical shop was an excellent way for the airline to divest of the points debt accumulated. But, of course, expiring points, is even a better deal for them...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
Perhaps, you hit the nail on its head. It might be that SK matches their actions to LH. It might be just showing whom they consider as a serious competitor in their home markets, at least when it comes to 'stealing' frequent fliers.
I am also surprised that they limited the physical shopping, at least according to reports here. I always thought that selling through the physical shop was an excellent way for the airline to divest of the points debt accumulated. But, of course, expiring points, is even a better deal for them...
It is still a cash out, while the redemption rates are pretty abysmal for the members, I don't think that the cash out per point is lower than it is on partner airline redemption. Partner airline redemption that they cut completely. They would generally prefer you to book SK flights, or have your points expire. Probably in that order.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
It is still a cash out, while the redemption rates are pretty abysmal for the members, I don't think that the cash out per point is lower than it is on partner airline redemption. Partner airline redemption that they cut completely. They would generally prefer you to book SK flights, or have your points expire. Probably in that order.

perhaps they should open space on SK flights for redemptions into the future 😁 I have rarely been able to book any desired SK flights on LH... HKG/LAX/SFO etc allways full except of course when cash prices are 299€ 😂😂😂
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
perhaps they should open space on SK flights for redemptions into the future 😁 I have rarely been able to book any desired SK flights on LH... HKG/LAX/SFO etc allways full except of course when cash prices are 299€ 😂😂😂
It would be a good time for them to release some J awards for July to December.... Also get some other Star Alliance airlines to send cash their way.

Yeah, I did forget to think about the abysmal J availability. How is Y and PY actually? I never looked at long haul awards for Y and PY with SK.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:16 am

Yeah, I did forget to think about the abysmal J availability. How is Y and PY actually? I never looked at long haul awards for Y and PY with SK.
Y is not too bad, PY not great... J just released in homeopathic doses.
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
This is still a confusing thread, the closest SAS has to frequent flyers already enjoy their points not expiring. If you need years to save up for a ticket to X or only qualify Silver or Gold, is the loss even noticeable?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
This is still a confusing thread, the closest SAS has to frequent flyers already enjoy their points not expiring. If you need years to save up for a ticket to X or only qualify Silver or Gold, is the loss even noticeable?
I guess the people hit hardest are the EBGs qualifying by segments. Because qualifying by segments means they fly a lot on very cheap tickets which don't give any benefits like lounge, FastTrack or similar. For them, losing the Gold benefits will be noticeable. For EBD/EBG qualifying through long haul in Premium Cabins, the current benefits are anyway already covered via the ticket price - more or less.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
I would argue that that is exactly when the loss is noticeable. If I burn 200k points on a trip with the wife I know they will be refilled quickly, and I don't need to worry about expiration. If someone spent years as a silver or basic accumulating the points for a special trip (avoiding upgrades and whatnot to keep their accumulation) and then lost it all before being able convert them then that is definitely a big hit.

BTW - How long do points last at the different levels. It was a long time ago I had to worry about that, and I can't seem to find the info on the SAS website...
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:31 am

I think the points will expire after 5 years.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

They do allow for one rebooking with expired points. Which they normally don't.
Do they charge for rebooking or is it free?

So I could just book something later in the year and if the dates don't work closer to the time then I can rebook for free even though the points would have expired presumably?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:57 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Do they charge for rebooking or is it free?

So I could just book something later in the year and if the dates don't work closer to the time then I can rebook for free even though the points would have expired presumably?
Correct, but you can only rebook to other award availability, which will be difficult to find later depending on the route.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Correct, but you can only rebook to other award availability, which will be difficult to find later depending on the route.
Is there a change fee or is it free to do this?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fassy
I guess the people hit hardest are the EBGs qualifying by segments. Because qualifying by segments means they fly a lot on very cheap tickets which don't give any benefits like lounge, FastTrack or similar. For them, losing the Gold benefits will be noticeable. For EBD/EBG qualifying through long haul in Premium Cabins, the current benefits are anyway already covered via the ticket price - more or less.
Are those flyers really a loss? I imagine it would suck having to do a lot of very short flights on very cheap tickets before getting the status back and I doubt they really have alternatives. In my book those are exactly the elites you don't want to pamper in these times.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:11 am

Are those flyers really a loss? I imagine it would suck having to do a lot of very short flights on very cheap tickets before getting the status back and I doubt they really have alternatives. In my book those are exactly the elites you don't want to pamper in these times.
Perhaps not for the airline, but this is a consumer board and yes.... for those people it would be a loss.

Sure, we can always discuss if having too many cheapo elites dilute the status for high spending elites by impacting the exclusivity, which in turn might have an impact on extra services provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.