Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Sas put majority of operations on hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sas put majority of operations on hold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:37 pm

Is SAS continuing to sell tickets or have those been shut down as well?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It’s just to stop bleeding money..
The leasing rates for the parked planes still have to paid.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by skyplane
Important to note that the company is not near or close to bankruptcy! It’s just to stop bleeding money..
Which is the responsible step. Who makes a ridiculous suggestion about upgrading internet on planes when the survival of the company is at risk?! SAS needs to do whatever costs the very least, and we should all hope for the very best.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
If the Danish government gave a hoot, they would not have halved the customer base for flights out of CPH by cutting of Swedish passengers.
This is ......... At the point in time where the Danish government closed the border, over 80% of the travel were already gone. The impact is therefore max 10% of a normal day.
GUWonder and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by miles_collector
Europe was just too slow to start closing borders (most countries still haven't done it) and limiting exposure (isolation, quarentine...), so we're just starting to get hit. I really hope I'm wrong though.
All true experts agree that border closing is hurting more than it's solving. If you look at the roughly 900 known cases of corona in DK, you will see that over 90% of the cases can be traced back to Danish citizens returning from ski trips to Austria or Italy. Those cases will not be blocked with the current border closings. The real problem is the authorities were too focused on known hot spots. It took the DK authorities 4 days before they tested the first person returning from Austria or Italy. This despite several people returning complained about Corona symptoms and could document they had been in close contact with people who have been tested positive for the virus. Some even shared a whistle with people who later was tested positive for the corona virus, but the DK authorities still rejected testing for 4 days.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
Is SAS continuing to sell tickets or have those been shut down as well?
I think so, but who want to buy a ticket at this point in time? I wouldn't even buy a ticket for a summer vacation right now.

Edit: Forgot to mention. SK will continue operating domestic flight and other critical flights on a reduced schedule, so ticket sales will continue for flights which are not canceled. As far as I understand they are only canceling flights till the end of the current border closings, but further cancellations and changes will most like come. Also. The way they do the reduction, means they can ramp up to full program in a day or two.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Mar 16, 2020 at 2:05 am
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
The leasing rates for the parked planes still have to paid.
Yes, but some of the flights SK did last week couldn't even pay the fuel or staff needed for performing the flight.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by James91
Which is the responsible step. Who makes a ridiculous suggestion about upgrading internet on planes when the survival of the company is at risk?! SAS needs to do whatever costs the very least, and we should all hope for the very best.
The survival of the company is not at risk at the moment. They are putting the planes on the ground because most of the flights currently will not be able to cover the costs for fuel and staff, not because they are at risk of folding. Doing planned upgrades and maintenance at this point in time will save money on the long run. And yes. I am the one who suggested this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:11 am

It looks like SK continues to fly the TATL flights and flights to/from Japan according to the already reduced schedule. On top of that they also fly a reduced schedule on the domestic flights in DK, NO and SE.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Yes, but some of the flights SK did last week couldn't even pay the fuel or staff needed for performing the flight.
Indeed.

When the big bird costs say $1 million/month to just have, it may not make sense to operate the plane for flights where the (more) variable costs of fuel and labor are higher than revenue from the flights with the plane. Even as the cost of the plane is to be considered a sunk cost in at least the short term.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SAS could have easily justified actual layoffs instead of this poor compromise. I would have expected them to fire more of the staff on legacy golden contracts, cut pay and take a critical look at who was part of the last strike. This is the time for them to act and improve things for the longterm on an accelerated plan of action.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SAS could have easily justified actual layoffs instead of this poor compromise. I would have expected them to fire more of the staff on legacy golden contracts, cut pay and take a critical look at who was part of the last strike. This is the time for them to act and improve things for the longterm on an accelerated plan of action.
SAS is in line for big assistance from governments. Terminating large number of employees could put at risk some of the governmental assistance. And SAS may not want to take the risk of having to deal with employee termination costs in the same year or years as it may need to ramp up service again. Hiring and training programs aren’t without their own costs and risks too.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
These opportunities are a lot less common than the opposite of having their staff turn against them in strikes. Regardless of government support, this is easily defensible, they are meant to mitigate not avoid all sacrifices at all cost. Neighboring airlines have already taken that step.

Rehiring is always an option and the market is likely to flood with Norwegian (the airline, not the country) staff looking for jobs in the near future.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:13 am

I would think you by now knew that laying off people in the Nordic's aren't that easy. Most of the SK employees have minimum 3 months notice where SK would still have to pay them full salary whether they are released or not. Beside that SK want to have the employees available when the panic is over, which everyone hopes will happen withing a month or two, max 3.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:15 am

Rehiring is always an option and the market is likely to flood with Norwegian (the airline, not the country) staff looking for jobs in the near future.
I'm pretty sure the Norwegian government will keep DY flying, but even if they went under, they would still require a decent amount of training in SK procedures before they can be let lose on the PAX's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.