Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Now you can get vouchers instead of rebooking.

Now you can get vouchers instead of rebooking.

Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Does anyone have any experience with SAS rebooking on other carriers these days?
I have a flight from EWR to FRA coming up next month which hasn't been cancelled yet but which I kind of expect to get cancelled sooner or later (SAS seemed to have cancelled all US flights till May 10th).
Are they rebooking on UA or LH at the moment. Of course they should be if they cancel tickets but with everything going on these days it feels like airlines are just cherry picking the rules they want to follow and which ones to ignore.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I don't think they have to rebook you if they warn you 2 weeks ahead of time. But I am not a lawyer.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:36 pm

I think the 2 week clause only applies to compensation which they don't have to pay anyways since we're in times of extraordniary circumstances anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I always thought that the two weeks also applies to possibility of refund, instead of rerouting, at the airlines discretion. At least it has happened to me in the pas that an airline (not SK) claimed so.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
I always thought that the two weeks also applies to possibility of refund, instead of rerouting, at the airlines discretion. At least it has happened to me in the pas that an airline (not SK) claimed so.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...m#cancellation

Reimbursement, re-routing or rebooking in the event of cancellation

The airline must offer you, on a one off basis, a choice between:
  1. the reimbursement of your ticket and, if you have a connecting flight, a return flight to the airport of departure at the earliest opportunity
  2. re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity or,
  3. re-routing at a later date at your convenience under comparable transport conditions, subject to the availability of seats.
As soon as you have chosen one of these three options, you no longer have rights in relation to the other two options. However, the airline may still have to provide compensation depending on the distance of your flight and the length of the delay past your original planned arrival time.
  • If the airline does not comply with its obligation to offer re-routing or return under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity, it has to reimburse your flight costs.
  • If the airline does not offer you the choice between reimbursement and re-routing but decides unilaterally to reimburse your original ticket, you are entitled to an additional reimbursement of the price difference with the new ticket (under comparable transport conditions).
  • If you booked an outbound and a return flight separately with different airlines and the outbound flight is cancelled, reimbursement is only due for the cancelled flight.
If the outbound and return flights are operated by different airlines, but were part of a single reservation, in the event that the outbound flight was cancelled, you have the following rights:
  • Compensation
  • A choice between the reimbursement of your entire ticket (outbound and return flights) or re-routing on another flight for the outbound flight

The 14 days ONLY apply to the compensation part.

Compensation is due if you were informed less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date.

Although the airlines like to make up their own rules and always quote the magical 14 days. And that is exactly why I used AMEX to charge back all my tickets... if airlines make up rules in their favor, I will give them no goodwill at all.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Does anyone have any experience with SAS rebooking on other carriers these days?
I have a flight from EWR to FRA coming up next month which hasn't been cancelled yet but which I kind of expect to get cancelled sooner or later (SAS seemed to have cancelled all US flights till May 10th).
Are they rebooking on UA or LH at the moment. Of course they should be if they cancel tickets but with everything going on these days it feels like airlines are just cherry picking the rules they want to follow and which ones to ignore.
You should read this - mirrors your situation: Advice/opinions on last min canceled return ticket

I wouldn't hold my breath that SK is going to rebook you - this has nothing to do with notified less than 14 days or not
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should read this - mirrors your situation: Advice/opinions on last min canceled return ticket

I wouldn't hold my breath that SK is going to rebook you - this has nothing to do with notified less than 14 days or not
I didn't see that one yesterday, what a scary read.
I'll make sure to keep everyone here posted.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
I had a ticket TXL-CPH on Apr 14 with SAS and when they canceled it, I wanted to get rebooked on the LH TXL-FRA-CPH connection, but they refused. In my present situation this flight is not really urgent, so I chose to not get into a fight over this and agreed to be rebooked on the next flight they offered (Apr 21). Since then I've been rebooked yet another time, because they didn't resume traffic as planned, so I'm currently scheduled to leave Berlin on May 11.

Of course, EC261 gives you the right to be "re-routed to your final destination at the earliest opportunity", not when it's convenient for the carrier. Maybe, if I had insisted to speak to a supervisor or something, they would've budged, but who knows? Would be interesting to hear if you are more lucky!

In any case, legally EC261 in case of cancellation also gives you the right to assistance (refreshments, food, accommodation,…), and the EC's Interpretative Guidelines are quite clear on this as well:

3.3. Right to care

According to Article 9 of the Regulation, which provides all relevant details, passengers who are affected by a flight cancellation must also be offered care by the operating air carrier, free of charge. This consists of meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time; hotel accommodation if necessary, and transport to the place of accommodation. Moreover, airports are to provide assistance to disabled passengers and passengers with reduced mobility in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1107/2006 (9).

It is worth recalling that when the passenger opts for reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket, the right to care ends. The same happens when the passenger chooses re-routing at a later date at the passenger’s convenience (Article 5(1)(b) in conjunction with Article 8(1)(c)).

The right to care subsists only as long as passengers have to wait for a rerouting at the earliest convenience (Article 5(1)(b) in conjunction with Article 8(1)(b)).

The intention underlying the Regulation is that the needs of passengers waiting for their return flight or re-routing are adequately addressed. The extent of adequate care will have to be assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the needs of passengers in the circumstances and the principle of proportionality (i.e.: according to the waiting time). The price paid for the ticket or the length of the inconvenience suffered should not interfere with the right to care (Interpretative Guidelines Point 4.3.2).

According to the Regulation, the air carrier is obliged to fulfil the obligation of care even when the cancellation of a flight is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that is to say circumstances that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

The Regulation contains nothing that recognises a separate category of ’particularly extraordinary’ events, beyond the ’extraordinary circumstances’ referred to in Article 5(3) of the Regulation. The air carrier is therefore not exempted from all of its obligations, including those under Article 9 of the Regulation, even during a long period. Passengers are especially vulnerable in such circumstances and events. (10) In exceptional events, the intention of the Regulation is to ensure that adequate care is provided in particular to passengers waiting for re-routing under Article 8(1)(b) of the Regulation.
Source: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...18(04)&from=EN

So, long story short, I'm collecting all receipts for food and other necessities until whenever they get me home and will make a reimbursement request afterwards. This will probably amount to a not insignificant pile of money, which they could've saved by rebooking me on LH.
Chiller3333 likes this.

Last edited by nini_su; Apr 26, 2020 at 10:11 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
Well, you ask to be rebooked for a later date in SAS Plus - most likely EB will insist that award availability needs to present to rebook, but that shouldn't be a huge problem now.

Otherwise take a refund of EB points and taxes and book a new award ticket as you wish. I don't see any maximizing your situation here.
I’ve spoken to SK who told me the following:

If SK cancels an award trip for any reason including tech, as per EB T&C they are only obliged to rebook pax to flights with award availability. In other words, if you’re set to travel tomorrow, the aircraft e.g. goes tech without any award availbility in the system in the forseeable future, you can forget about travelling (I asked the agent to confirm this which she did).

If SK cancels a flight, the award booking remains active in the system so unless you contact them within the 1 working day deadline, you will not be credited the points. In other words, if SK cancels your award flights and you fail to inform them that you want to cancel the booking (already cancelled by SK ), they will still take your points. I asked the agent to confirm this which she did. The agent was unable to find any award flights CPH-LAX in early 2021. In general, if you’re able to book SK long haul award tickets ** as you wish ** you must have some sort of Master of the EB Universe super powers

Based on the above, I guess my only option is to proactively cancel the booking myself in order not to loose the points and see if can find something else to spend them on.

Last edited by Hafnia; Apr 28, 2020 at 9:28 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hafnia
I’ve spoken to SK who told me the following:

If SK cancels an award trip for any reason including tech, as per EB T&C they are only obliged to rebook pax to flights with award availability. In other words, if you’re set to travel tomorrow, the aircraft e.g. goes tech without any award availbility in the system in the forseeable future, you can forget about travelling (I asked the agent to confirm this which she did).

If SK cancels a flight the award booking remains active in the system so unless you contact them within the 1 working day deadline, you will not be credited the points. In other words, if SK cancels your award flights and you fail to inform them that you want to cancel the booking (already cancelled by SK ), they will still take your points. I asked the agent to confirm this which she did.
I'm not sure that what you have been told by EB is entirely correct. Of course if you call EB to be rebooked, EB will only rebook you for flights that have award availability. The EB agents have no possibility to rebook into revenue class, even in IRROPS situations. However, in case of IRROPS as you describe I would never call EB to get rebooked; it will be of no use as they can't rebook you unless award availability is present. I would go to the airport on the day of departure and let the agents there deal with it - airport agents have much more leeway to get you rebooked and get you on the way to your destination (even if it involves rebooking to other carriers or into revenue class). Undoubtly, many airport agents will try to convince you to call EB to let EB deal with it as soon as the agent realises that this is an award booking (which many agents will hesitate to touch) but in this situation you need to insist that this is solved in the airport now. If you call and let call center agents deal with it, you will get nowhere.

Even in your second situation (flight cancelled in advance but ticket still active) if you really want to travel I would recommend to go to the airport for check-in and play dumb (like you didn't know the flight was cancelled). This way the airport agents will most likely deal with it and rebook you to the final destination despite being an EB award. This particularly if booked on SAS flights from any of the Scandinavian hubs or larger airports elsewhere with SK staff. Yes, it takes a lot of nerves to wait until the day of travelling to have this sorted out and it involves a lot of uncertainty, but most likely it will work out better for you than letting EB rebook you. Admittedly, I don't have first hand experience with airport staff dealing with EB tickets with cancelled flights outside IRROPS situations, but I'm talking from my general experience with airport staff helping you out when your flight get cancelled. I suppose the biggest risk is the airport agents either can't or will not deal with award tickets and asking you to contact EB.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 28, 2020 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:50 am

I'm not sure that what you have been told by EB is entirely correct. Of course if you call EB to be rebooked, EB will only rebook you for flights that have award availability. The EB agents have no possibility to rebook into revenue class, even in IRROPS situations. However, in case of IRROPS as you describe I would never call EB to get rebooked; it will be of no use as they can't rebook you unless award availability is present. I would go to the airport on the day of departure and let the agents there deal with it - airport agents have much more leeway to get you rebooked and get you on the way to your destination (even if it involves rebooking to other carriers or into revenue class). Undoubtly, many airport agents will try to convince you to call EB to let EB deal with it as soon as the agent realises that this is an award booking (which many agents will hesitate to touch) but in this situation you need to insist that this is solved in the airport now. If you call and let call center agents deal with it, you will get nowhere.
Yes, that is the way to go. And I had several EB flights being cancelled on me, never had an issue getting on another flight the same day or day after in a revenue booking class. There is no way, they can force you to wait for available award space in irrops. Last time my flight CPH-FRA was delayed for the LH FRA-SFO flight which I missed. Of course they took me on the next flight to SFO one I arrived in FRA. No questions asked.

It will be a problem if you call in and ry to get rebooked via the phone. That just doesn't work for award tickets.

Even in your second situation (flight cancelled in advance but ticket still active) if you really want to travel I would recommend to go to the airport for check-in and play dumb (like you didn't know the flight was cancelled). This way the airport agents will most likely deal with it and rebook you to the final destination despite being an EB award. This particularly if booked on SAS flights from any of the Scandinavian hubs or larger airports elsewhere with SK staff. Yes, it takes a lot of nerves to wait until the day of travelling to have this sorted out and it involves a lot of uncertainty, but most likely it will work out better for you than letting EB rebook you. Admittedly, I don't have first hand experience with airport staff dealing with EB tickets with cancelled flights outside IRROPS situations, but I'm talking from my general experience with airport staff helping you out when your flight get cancelled. I suppose the biggest risk is the airport agents either can't or will not deal with award tickets and asking you to contact EB.
Well, I can only report one case where a lady at the CPH transfer desk was super helpful trying to get a messed up award booking straightened out. Not sure, the ladies at the check-in would do the same, as they are very busy and obviously you won't be able to check-in to get a boarding pass. I guess they will refer you to the phone service or ticket sales desk which then will tell you, they notified you about this way back... and now you are out of luck.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Not sure, the ladies at the check-in would do the same, as they are very busy and obviously you won't be able to check-in to get a boarding pass. I guess they will refer you to the phone service or ticket sales desk which then will tell you, they notified you about this way back... and now you are out of luck.
That is certainly a risk/possibility.

I wouldn't expect check-in agents to deal with it - they have no time or possibility to do it. It would need to be sorted out at the SAS ticket office - or at a transfer desk if you arrived on a flight from somewhere else.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
That is certainly a risk/possibility.

I wouldn't expect check-in agents to deal with it - they have no time or possibility to do it. It would need to be sorted out at the SAS ticket office - or at a transfer desk if you arrived on a flight from somewhere else.
Thank you. If I face a cancellation/delay on an award trip, I would never ever think about calling EB but deal directly with ground staff since I’ve always thought that in IRR situations, an award ticket was as good as a revenue ticket in terms of access to rebooking to other flights, compensation etc.

So I’m very surprised about what you and the SK agent are telling me now. In IRR situations where the flight is CNL by SK (same aplies to my other FQTV programmes), Ive never had ground staff telling “oh sorry we wanted to rebook you to the evening flight where there are free seats but since your ticket is booked as anward flight we can’t help you because there is no more award seats availble so you have to cancel you holiday and come back next year”.

Could someone help me with pointing out where it’s stated that if SK cancels an award flight due to IRR, the airline is only obliged to rebook you if there is award avaibility on the next flight because I can’t find in the EB TC: https://www.flysas.com/en/legal-info...-conditions-1/

Last edited by Hafnia; Apr 28, 2020 at 11:14 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Question about the validity of these vouchers, which will help me decide if I want to get a voucher or change my flights.

SAS says they are "Is valid to use within 1 year after the date of issue" - does this mean they can be used as a form of payment within 1 year, or does it mean the flights also need to be within one year?

Practical example: would I be able to use a voucher to book a flight in October, with a travel date in Summer 2021?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: *G, OW Sapphire, HH D
Originally Posted by Roberts1987
Question about the validity of these vouchers, which will help me decide if I want to get a voucher or change my flights.

SAS says they are "Is valid to use within 1 year after the date of issue" - does this mean they can be used as a form of payment within 1 year, or does it mean the flights also need to be within one year?

Practical example: would I be able to use a voucher to book a flight in October, with a travel date in Summer 2021?
Only the booking date has to be in this period. Your flights can take place later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.