Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: SAS waiver to the US

Coronavirus: SAS waiver to the US

Old Mar 12, 20, 7:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Post Coronavirus: SAS waiver to the US

(Updated 12MAR20 13:32 CET)

Travel between Europe and the United States from March 14 2020

The US government introduces restrictions for all air traffic between Europe and the United States as from 14MAR20 and 30 days ahead. This will have effect on SAS flights to/from the US.

SAS will operate according to normal schedule 12 March and 13 March 2020.

Further evaluation regarding our traffic program to/from the US for the near future is currently evaluated.

A waiver for rebooking options online is activated.

More information will follow as soon as available.

SAS Customer Service, under the circumstances, experience long waiting times and we are doing everything we can to assist our customers.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The online rebooking for US flights is useless even on SAS tickets for SAS-only flights — even if the ticket was already used in part — when the SAS ticket was booked via most every channel other than SAS’s own call centers/ticketing offices and websites/apps.

I tried to use it 20 minutes ago and again 10 minutes ago and it won’t work; and it tells me to deal with the channel where I booked the tickets.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The online rebooking for US flights is useless even on SAS tickets for SAS-only flights — even if the ticket was already used in part — when the SAS ticket was booked via most every channel other than SAS’s own call centers/ticketing offices and websites/apps.

I tried to use it 20 minutes ago and again 10 minutes ago and it won’t work; and it tells me to deal with the channel where I booked the tickets.
Well. Isn't that the normal practice for all airlines? If you booked through a TA or OTA, you have to do all changes through them as they are the legal ticket issuer and thereby the only ones who can make changes to your ticket.
oliver2002 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Well. Isn't that the normal practice for all airlines? If you booked through a TA or OTA, you have to do all changes through them as they are the legal ticket issuer and thereby the only ones who can make changes to your ticket.
I book most of my tickets via travel agencies. And when there are IRROPS or waivers in place for my partially-used or even unused tickets, most times the operating airline seem to allow me to make changes directly with the airline. Out of every ten flight schedule disruptions I face that are caused by the airline and or government or other circumstances beyond my control or those on my side of the transaction, it seems like most times the airline will fix it for me without having to deal with the ticketing travel agency.
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:17 am

I book most of my tickets via travel agencies. And when there are IRROPS or waivers in place for my partially-used or even unused tickets, most times the operating airline seem to allow me to make changes directly with the airline. Out of every ten flight schedule disruptions I face that are caused by the airline and or government or other circumstances beyond my control or those on my side of the transaction, it seems like most times the airline will fix it for me without having to deal with the ticketing travel agency.
Normally I would agree, but I only managed to get SK to change a TA ticket for me if I call them, and never when we have major disruptions like now. Online I've never had any success with changing a TA ticket.
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: EBG
I think just at the moment we might have to be a bit forgiving to all our aerocompanies. This must be absolute hell to juggle you way through.
highupinthesky and RooseveltL like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nussle View Post
I think just at the moment we might have to be a bit forgiving to all our aerocompanies. This must be absolute hell to juggle you way through.
Sure, but the airlines sitting on customers’ money should be forgiving too. Too many airlines have put in measures to squat on customers’ money or convert customers’ money into the airline’s money by deciding to put in place policies and practices that undermine the ability of customers to get the flexibility that the customers deserve or otherwise get value out of the money locked in the airline tickets.

For example, SAS is still insisting that they get prior day notice of intent to rebook and requiring new dates for travel in ways that are completely unforgiving to the customers circumstances at a time like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:05 pm

Programs: EBG
Sure, but the airlines sitting on customers’ money should be forgiving too. Too many airlines have put in measures to squat on customers’ money or convert customers’ money into the airline’s money by deciding to put in place policies and practices that undermine the ability of customers to get the flexibility that the customers deserve or otherwise get value out of the money locked in the airline tickets.

For example, SAS is still insisting that they get prior day notice of intent to rebook and requiring new dates for travel in ways that are completely unforgiving to the customers circumstances at a time like this.
You might find me more agreeing if SAS shafts me somehow on the coupon they issued instead of the refund but at the moment I think it must be a hell job to have to be rerouting and cancelling at some sort of random music.

I am not normally the most forgiving customer and SAS can be a really difficult/unpleasent company to be a customer of but in this case I will be understanding. Expect a post started called "SAS did not honour their coupon" soon .
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:35 pm

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
Cancellation Fees Waived?

This is probably a stupid question, but are cancellation fees waived as well? I went to the cancellation page, but I didn't want to click on the "Continue" button without knowing if it would immediately cancel the itinerary.

SAS Plus Smart fares are refundable with a fee, so I'd only cancel it if the waiver applies. Rebooking is a less ideal option since the new fares are significantly higher than my alternate city pair (which also requires paying a fare difference... ). Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tennen View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but are cancellation fees waived as well? I went to the cancellation page, but I didn't want to click on the "Continue" button without knowing if it would immediately cancel the itinerary.

SAS Plus Smart fares are refundable with a fee, so I'd only cancel it if the waiver applies. Rebooking is a less ideal option since the new fares are significantly higher than my alternate city pair (which also requires paying a fare difference... ). Thanks!
Unfortunately not. No changes to the cancellation rules. It's only changing to another day which is for free, and only one time per ticket.
Old Mar 13, 20, 1:07 am

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Unfortunately not. No changes to the cancellation rules. It's only changing to another day which is for free, and only one time per ticket.
Thanks. Based on the last sentence, I'm guessing/hoping that they'll provide full refunds if they ultimately cancel the flight(s) even after a passenger cancels their ticket:

(Published 12MAR20)
If your flight is not cancelled you are not entitled to a refund unless the fare rules of your ticket allows it. Taxes are always refundable for completely unused tickets.

If your flight is not cancelled but you still don't want to travel and your ticket rules doesn't allow refund, you can cancel your flight(s) and apply for refund of taxes.

Read more detailed information regarding refund of tickets and applicable taxes.

Refund can still be applied for flights not yet cancelled when decided and activated by the authorities in different countries and regions.
I guess we have to just wait and see what happens...
Old Mar 13, 20, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Tennen View Post
Thanks. Based on the last sentence, I'm guessing/hoping that they'll provide full refunds if they ultimately cancel the flight(s) even after a passenger cancels their ticket
That is standard practice yes. If the airline cancel a flight with less than 14 days notice you have the choice between a full refund or free transfer to a later flight.
If it's more than 14 days notice you have the choice between full refund or being rebooked on a later flight and pay the fare difference.
Old Mar 14, 20, 2:23 am

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
The website now says that the last flight (until March 28th to the US is March 16th:

The following applies:

13 March

SAS will operate to and from all USA destinations according to normal schedule.

From 14 March until 28 March 2020, the following SAS routes operate according to schedule to and from:
  • Stockholm – New York - Stockholm
  • Copenhagen – New York - Copenhagen
  • Copenhagen – Chicago - Copenhagen

14 March- 16 March SAS will also operate the route according to schedule to and from:

• Copenhagen – San Francisco - Copenhagen

All other flights to and from US destinations are suspended until 28 March

These routes are:
  • Oslo - New York - Oslo - last departure on Friday 13 March
  • Stockholm - Chicago - Stockholm - last departure on Friday 13 March
  • Copenhagen - Washington - Copenhagen - last departure on Friday 13 March
  • Copenhagen/Stockholm/Oslo - Miami - Copenhagen/Stockholm/Oslo - last departure on Saturday 14 March
  • Copenhagen - Los Angeles - Copenhagen - last departure on Saturday 14 March
  • Copenhagen - San Francisco - Copenhagen - last departure on Monday 16 March
I expect the March 28th date will be pushed back as needed ....
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
The website now says that the last flight (until March 28th to the US is March 16th:

I expect the March 28th date will be pushed back as needed ....
You will see further updates later. SK already public announced that it will take days before there is a full schedule for the duration of trumps travel ban. Also the situation changes from day to day, so no airline want to cancel flights to far out in the future. During trumps national emergency proclamation yesterday he already rambled about lifting the travel ban for some countries and add UK to the ban.
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:49 am

Apparently Swedes will not be allowed to go by ground transport to CPH to fly out of CPH — that’s according to the Danish police at the airport.

SAS’s US service from CPH just became a lot less sustainable than they already were.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: