Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

sas.se no longer available in English?

sas.se no longer available in English?

Old Mar 3, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Yes it’s another conspiracy from SAS against the Swedes - oh the horror, we must all get Greta the gremlin to cast an evil spell on them...

If you want English language on the (as everybody knows) buggy SAS website, why don’t you just use flysas.com and stop whining?
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:46 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Getting back on topic...

When I go to sas.se/en I get redirected to flysas.com/en with a UI in English and prices in Euros. Works, but not really optimal. Seems like the fix would be simple, but this is SKIT after all...
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Not just assume. Insist. I've been in multiple meetings where one or two insisted we use Scandinavian languages since we are all from Scandinavian.

Strangely enough. When I talk to people from Skåne, they have less issues with switching to English than people in Stockholm.
Maybe it's because you are assumed to be Danish and a Danish-speaker and Skane people struggle with numbers in Danish?

My experience as a native English speaker in Skåne and in Stockholm hasn't led me to notice it working the way you experience it. Rather I find that Stockholm Swedes seem to have no more -- and possibly fewer -- issues with switching to English than the average Skanska-speaker.

In my experience, it seems like Skanska-speakers -- unless they have a much stronger and longer connection to Denmark than the average Skane resident -- tend to switch to English with Danes rather than stick to Swedish; but the Swedes from Gothenburg and Stockholm sort of just see what they can make from continuing to speak Swedish to Danes and Norwegians.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
If you want English language on the (as everybody knows) buggy SAS website, why don’t you just use flysas.com and stop whining?
Not a solution, as they will then quote and charge in EUR. But to be honest, how much Swedish do you really need to understand to book a flight? I cn even manage the website in Polish if needed to.

But the points is, WHY??? There was absolutely no need to do this. the English version of the Swedish page wasn't any more broken than the Swedish one.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Maybe it's because you are assumed to be Danish and a Danish-speaker and Skane people struggle with numbers in Danish?

My experience as a native English speaker in Skåne and in Stockholm hasn't led me to notice it working the way you experience it. Rather I find that Stockholm Swedes seem to have no more -- and possibly fewer -- issues with switching to English than the average Skanska-speaker.

In my experience, it seems like Skanska-speakers -- unless they have a much stronger and longer connection to Denmark than the average Skane resident -- tend to switch to English with Danes rather than stick to Swedish; but the Swedes from Gothenburg and Stockholm sort of just see what they can make from continuing to speak Swedish to Danes and Norwegians.
Well most of my clients are government related. I wouldn't be surprised if they like government related clients in DK is less willing to use English than clients in the private sector. SK is partly government owned, and despite it's being less and less visible it's still part of their DNA.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:20 am

Well most of my clients are government related. I wouldn't be surprised if they like government related clients in DK is less willing to use English than clients in the private sector. SK is partly government owned, and despite it's being less and less visible it's still part of their DNA.
Yeah, I guess that's it. I'm in the private sector and as soon as I enter the meeting room, all colleagues or customers switch to English. Most of my meetings in Sweden are in either Gothenburg, Stockholm or Malmö region.

But public offices like Skatteverket, Vardcentralen etc are a pain to navigate in English. Luckily, e-Government in Sweden is pretty well developed and I rarely have the need to talk to anyone in person or go to an office.
Old Mar 3, 20, 11:59 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
After having lived in Stockholm for 6 years my experience is the exact opposite of what some posters have said above. I am just about fluent in Swedish having moved from an English speaking country, but the vast majority of my friends, colleagues and family insist on English, even when I speak to them in Swedish. The same with anyone I interact with that hears me struggle with a sentance or a particular pronunciation.

Calling the issues with the SK website discrimination is in my opinion, just being ignorant to the obvious issues that have been present in the SK site for years.
GUWonder and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In inter-governmental discussions with foreign counterparts, the Scandinavian government officials in Sweden seem at least as willing to go to English as the other Scandinavian countries' officials. But I can see it working the way you say when it comes to government employees dealing with private sector contractors .... but I'm not sure I see Denmark being any more willing to deal in English than Norway or Sweden. I would say that if someone in Scandinavia is dealing with men in government somewhat more than women in government, then the person is more likely to hit a wall when using English than if dealing more so with women in government. There are exceptions to that and things vary depending on the area of government involved, but I find Swedes in general no more reluctant to use English than Danes and Norwegians.
Old Mar 3, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
If lack of English is making life in Scandinavia uncomfortable, well... I thought we were mostly well-travelled people on this forum, but one sometimes starts to wonder.
GUWonder, SKT-DK and nini_su like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: