Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Old Mar 15, 20, 4:56 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
My qualifying period ends Sept 30. I am already past the gold mark, but had doubts I would requalify as diamond this go-round even before corona. A six month extension would cinch diamond for me. So I am all in favor. But for me it would be a windfall.
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
Sam situation. Already qualified for EBG, but missing around 17 kpoints fo EBD, with qualification period until end of July. Without an extension this becomes to look difficult know, but not impossible, if I can start flying in June. So an extension would be welcomed :P
Or if EBD is really important to you, you could buy additional basic points during the grace period. It's not possible at the moment due to implementation of new payment system, but as far as I remember you can buy up to 15K points to reach Diamond.
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Afaik It's 10k points, although I'm not 100% sure anymore. 10k might be for gold...
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:30 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
At the moment I'm not that concerned for the survival of SK. They are in a far better state than a couple of years ago, but if the panic drags out they would of course be in serious troubles again. The whining in the media at the moment is part of the negotiations of compensations for the governments actions.

But I agree EB is not a priority at the moment, and neither should it be. If you fail to make gold or diamond this or next month, its your own fault. When you leave the requalification to the last min. there is 1000 of things which can go wrong, and you still have the option to buy up to 10K basic points during the grace period and thereby make the next level.

I made my gold already this year and this is my priority but I was on track to make diamond for the first time ever but they just cancelled Hongkong and then Los Angeles and about to cancel three more....I dont think its going to happen.
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Originally Posted by nussle View Post
I made my gold already this year and this is my priority but I was on track to make diamond for the first time ever but they just cancelled Hongkong and then Los Angeles and about to cancel three more....I dont think its going to happen.
Same here, I feel with you. Right now I might not even requalify for gold if my Turkey trip this April and my New York trip this May get cancelled. :/
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:59 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
This is a great times for SAS to trim the amount of EBDs and address lounge crowding as flying resumes its normal schedule.

The solution to this is rollover miles so we're able to secure qualification for years to come in advance so when these kind of situations happen the real frequent flyers should be covered. I suggest that we keep reminding SAS about the fact that rollover miles are now a decade overdue for EB.

The one thing they could be graceful with is lifetime Diamond status and not count 2020 if people don't qualify over COVID-19. On the other hand if your EB-year just started you have plenty of time to qualify and if its about to end then you didn't plan it very well.
Old Mar 16, 20, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
This is a great times for SAS to trim the amount of EBDs and address lounge crowding as flying resumes its normal schedule.

The solution to this is rollover miles so we're able to secure qualification for years to come in advance so when these kind of situations happen the real frequent flyers should be covered. I suggest that we keep reminding SAS about the fact that rollover miles are now a decade overdue for EB.

The one thing they could be graceful with is lifetime Diamond status and not count 2020 if people don't qualify over COVID-19. On the other hand if your EB-year just started you have plenty of time to qualify and if its about to end then you didn't plan it very well.
For once I actually agree with you.

I don't know of any FFP which has rollover points/miles/legs, but I just hope if they do implement it, they don't do it like radisson. At radisson you get zero rollover nights if you qualify for premium status using 1 rollover night from the previous year.
Old Mar 16, 20, 6:34 am

I'm 10 k short of diamond that I would need by end April. I don't see why I should pay 1000 euros to buy 10k basic points - that's a lot of smoothies/wine and definitely not worth the difference between Gold and Diamond. I would hope/expect that SK made some kind of allowance as I (and I'm sure many others) were on track to get the remaining points but can't anymore. Can't even do a mileage run since all of Europe is locked down, essentially.
Old Mar 16, 20, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
For once I actually agree with you.

I don't know of any FFP which has rollover points/miles/legs, but I just hope if they do implement it, they don't do it like radisson. At radisson you get zero rollover nights if you qualify for premium status using 1 rollover night from the previous year.
Isn't that the case for all roll forward cases, it is only good for one year?
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
I'm 10 k short of diamond that I would need by end April. I don't see why I should pay 1000 euros to buy 10k basic points
You can use point too. If you are not willing to buy the missing points, EBD is not important enough for you IMHO, and this is of course your choice. As FlyingMoose wrote.
if your EB-year is about to end then you didn't plan it very well.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Isn't that the case for all roll forward cases, it is only good for one year?
Yes rollover nights is only valid for 1 year, but I had 58 qualifying nights last year + 15 roll over nights from the year before. The 58 nights brings me to Gold with 28 rollover nights, but because the 15 rollover nights from the year before brings me to Platinum, I get zero rollover nights this year. To get 1 rollover night I would have had to stay on Radisson for a total of 61 nights.

Had I known this I would have used most of the last 28 nights on Hilton, which could have brought me to Diamond at Hilton Honors.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Mar 16, 20 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 16, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
I'm 10 k short of diamond that I would need by end April. I don't see why I should pay 1000 euros to buy 10k basic points - that's a lot of smoothies/wine and definitely not worth the difference between Gold and Diamond. I would hope/expect that SK made some kind of allowance as I (and I'm sure many others) were on track to get the remaining points but can't anymore. Can't even do a mileage run since all of Europe is locked down, essentially.
If it is not worth it for you, why on earth would SK see you as worth granting the grace of whatever points you are missing, especially if it is a first time qualification for EBD? The sense of entitlement is ever increasing....
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Yes rollover nights is only valid for 1 year, but I had 58 qualifying nights last year + 15 roll over nights from the year before. The 58 nights brings me to Gold with 28 rollover nights, but because the 15 rollover nights from the year before brings me to Platinum, I get zero rollover nights this year. To get 1 rollover night I would have had to stay on Radisson for a total of 61 nights.

Had I known this I would have used most of the last 28 nights on Hilton, which could have brought me to Diamond at Hilton Honors.
That is in the terms and conditions. Exactly how it worked for Marriott when they still had roll over. You need to have actual nights above the number required for your achieved status level to generate a new roll over.

It would work for a lot of people here in the Covid-19 situation, but as business travel probably won't pick seriously up this side of summer , many people might end up needing two years of extention..
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:52 pm

That is in the terms and conditions. Exactly how it worked for Marriott when they still had roll over. You need to have actual nights above the number required for your achieved status level to generate a new roll over.
Well. Before they got the new IT system they calculated the roll over nights for next year before the applied the roll over nights for the previous year. That is also the correct way according to the terms and conditions. It clearly state rollover nights are used to achieve additional status level.

It would work for a lot of people here in the Covid-19 situation, but as business travel probably won't pick seriously up this side of summer , many people might end up needing two years of extention..
Well Radisson has just extended the current status level till Feb 2022.
Old Mar 16, 20, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well. Before they got the new IT system they calculated the roll over nights for next year before the applied the roll over nights for the previous year. That is also the correct way according to the terms and conditions. It clearly state rollover nights are used to achieve additional status level.

Well Radisson has just extended the current status level till Feb 2022.
That's just one year of extension, as the status earned in 2019, would be valid until Feb 2021.

But I was not quite clear on what I meant. If people have a qualifying year ending in May, they might fail in the current year, and if business travel only really starts to pick up in August September they might struggle again for that year. So what I really meant, but did not really write, is people may be set to fail for two qualifying periods if they are unlucky.
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:50 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
If it is not worth it for you, why on earth would SK see you as worth granting the grace of whatever points you are missing, especially if it is a first time qualification for EBD? The sense of entitlement is ever increasing....
I don't think we need to judge in this way, and I think the judgement is wrong. I have been diamond for years, and am happy being diamond. Would I pay SEK10k to get it instead of gold? Not a chance, the benefits just aren't worth it to me. But I do appreciate it, and would be happy to get an extension that helps me keep it.

The argument that you wouldn't pay for it, so why should you want it and why should SK care if you get it makes no sense. I wouldn't pay for a new Ferrari, but if SAS gave me one they would have a loyal customer for life. EBD is a lot cheaper for SK than a Ferrari. :-)
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: