Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does it seem like most EBDs haven't been flying much if at all during this pandemic and still aren't flying much?.
haven’t set foot on a plane since Feb 2020. have been Gold since 2011 and Diamond form the day they launched the status.

don’t think my travel will go back to pre-Covid times EVER! Did say so a couple of times before on this board… our management (and also hearing the message at our customers and competition) just saw that after a year of grounding 99% of the usual traveling staff, business still works while cutting OPEX by a significant percentage. So even if the limitations are lifted, all corporate travel will be closely monitored and strictly controlled.

I assume for me, this means cutting back about 70% of my trips for years to come.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy
haven’t set foot on a plane since Feb 2020. have been Gold since 2011 and Diamond form the day they launched the status.

don’t think my travel will go back to pre-Covid times EVER! Did say so a couple of times before on this board… our management (and also hearing the message at our customers and competition) just saw that after a year of grounding 99% of the usual traveling staff, business still works while cutting OPEX by a significant percentage. So even if the limitations are lifted, all corporate travel will be closely monitored and strictly controlled.

I assume for me, this means cutting back about 70% of my trips for years to come.
I assume there are a lot of SK*Gs in your kind of situation. SK may need to recalibrate the status qualification/retention requirements for the legions of people in your kind of situation

But maybe SK won't recalibrate the status game very much or for very long if SK turns out to want fewer elites in the years ahead as part of some kind of cost-cutting plan.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I assume there are a lot of SK*Gs in your kind of situation. SK may need to recalibrate the status qualification/retention requirements for the legions of people in your kind of situation

But maybe SK won't recalibrate the status game very much or for very long if SK turns out to want fewer elites in the years ahead as part of some kind of cost-cutting plan.
SK one of the lowest *G thresholds in the alliance. Though people fly a lot on Go Lite fares, they are quite high. So the area that SK might want to tweak a bit is really the earnings on the really cheap fares.

They would probably better served by giving at least some round of extension, until they get a clearer picture of how the market will move. With the timing of the 4* qualifying campaign and the general state off flying in Europe, my guess is they mainly hit those who were anyway going to qualify as their jobs still have them flying. And a few status runners.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by JR67
Luckily the domestic flights seem to be running regularly. With 4x status points I will hit gold, but there is no way I can maintain diamond. At least not without a frivolous TATL.
One daily flight AAR-CPH is regular I will admit, but a shadow of its former self. It felt insane to be rebooked 4 times on the same trip, as flight after flight was cancelled, causing a lot of issues for getting to airports in a timely fashion (for me, on my recent trip).

Granted, I only flew to take advantage of the 4xlegs promotion (only need one more return by January to maintain status). I had to keep reminding myself of this, to keep from just switching to the train.

- DanishFlyer
Old May 16, 2021, 1:05 pm

My qualification period begins April 1st. So, from April 2020 to April 2021 I had extended status (from the last year). Expected it ti "drop off" right about now, but it is still showing as such.
So when does the status end? Is it a month after the beginning of the next qualificaton period?
P.S. Went to the website to check (usually look int he app) - apparently they extended my status till Jan. 2022. Very nice of them (although, based on how things stand, exactly zero chance for me to requalify, unfortunately)
Old May 16, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Does not look like I will be able to utilize the 4x campaign at all, SK just cancels all my flight so I will just settle for waiting...

​​​​​​I just flew a UA itinerary but there was no point in crediting that to SK but atleast they flew their flights 😂😂

Times are a changing....

Perhaps SK could try a 50% credit to existing elites instead, might keep elites crediting miles from partners to SK as well and that of course brings money to SK as well 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just a thought, I know UA had some sort of bonus points based on current status, and some airlines are reducing qualification but with SK promos it's very hit and miss if one can use them if they don't fly their planes 😂😂

No hard feelings
Old May 16, 2021, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
Does not look like I will be able to utilize the 4x campaign at all, SK just cancels all my flight so I will just settle for waiting...

​​​​​​I just flew a UA itinerary but there was no point in crediting that to SK but atleast they flew their flights 😂😂

Times are a changing....

Perhaps SK could try a 50% credit to existing elites instead, might keep elites crediting miles from partners to SK as well and that of course brings money to SK as well 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just a thought, I know UA had some sort of bonus points based on current status, and some airlines are reducing qualification but with SK promos it's very hit and miss if one can use them if they don't fly their planes 😂😂

No hard feelings
This is exactly why my next Copenhagen trip did not go to SK, I just don't trust them to stick anywhere near the reduced schedule they published. I understand the need to reduce flying, but once a heavily reduced schedule has been published for the next month or two, stick to it so people can plan and feel comfortable planning.

UA cut the requirements for 2021, and introduced various booster options for flights taken. Their Q1 campaign was double PQP for the first 3 trips, they just forgot to mention clearly that there was a cap of 1500 PQP per trip. So people travelling long haul J got quite cheated. Also not a way to inspire loyalty.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:12 am

I wish they would just proceed with extending by yet another year. Travel will still not be possible in large parts of the world, Asia, South America for at least rest of the year. I think we are lucky to see EU open travel by end of the year, and by public debate were soon heading towards only vaccinated travellers. I don’t think business travel for someone unvaccinated is feasible unless high priority given Requirements for neg tests. How things are going I’ll only be fully vaccinated in September and think many will be in similar boats.

I’m sure sas have many travellers who qualify on basis of EU only travel but it seems optimistic to believe most of its status travellers will requalify.
JR67 and clubeurope like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
This is exactly why my next Copenhagen trip did not go to SK, I just don't trust them to stick anywhere near the reduced schedule they published. I understand the need to reduce flying, but once a heavily reduced schedule has been published for the next month or two, stick to it so people can plan and feel comfortable planning.

UA cut the requirements for 2021, and introduced various booster options for flights taken. Their Q1 campaign was double PQP for the first 3 trips, they just forgot to mention clearly that there was a cap of 1500 PQP per trip. So people travelling long haul J got quite cheated. Also not a way to inspire loyalty.
UAs program does not inspire for sure. I was going to do a challenge to them for 1k just for fun, but in the end it was too complicated and convulted 😁

They did remove the 4 us flight requirement this year for non US based flyers but still..

Since SK cancelled so many flights I just credited my UA Flights to A3, if SK extends the 4x campaign I may do a status run later in the year otherwise I will just redeem my stash of EB points and be done with the program. I already cancelled my EB credit card over a year ago so I suppose keeping two Star Gold cards falls under silly
Old May 31, 2021, 2:57 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Oh well, so the day has come. Unless SAS decides to prolongue their policy, people with their qualification period ending today will be the last to receive the status tier extension.

Not quite sure how I'll be able to achieve enough points until February if I can't even enter Scandinavia, not to mention the majority of the rest of the world.
dodgeflyer and clubeurope like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:18 am

I thought they would extend the status for all having a their qualification period ending August?

Anyway, had a chat with the customer service and they said that no decision has been taken what to do for customers having a qualification period ending in September or later. But he confirmed it should be possible to buy basic points to top up the status. Might be an expensive option, but still better than jumping through all those hops... tests, vaccinations, masks, hand-sanitizers, closed restaurants, closed lounges, minimal service on board, etc.

The option should be become available once you have enough basic points to buy the allowed maximum, i.e. for EBG once you hit 30k basic points, as you can buy up to 15k.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I skipped the idea of using SAS promos to try to maximize SAS status upgrades to accounts, even while getting around on SAS flights is possible. The airfares tended to be too high for SAS flights and involve too much inconvenience — all while the alternatives for crediting SAS flights create an opportunity cost if crediting SAS flights to SAS accounts. The SAS point earnings from flights aren’t rich enough, between the earning and burning of the points from and for flights.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:34 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I thought they would extend the status for all having a their qualification period ending August?

On the website they specifically mention the membership expire date, which as far as I understood it is the date three months after the requalification period.

Anyway, had a chat with the customer service and they said that no decision has been taken what to do for customers having a qualification period ending in September or later. But he confirmed it should be possible to buy basic points to top up the status. Might be an expensive option, but still better than jumping through all those hops... tests, vaccinations, masks, hand-sanitizers, closed restaurants, closed lounges, minimal service on board, etc.

The option should be become available once you have enough basic points to buy the allowed maximum, i.e. for EBG once you hit 30k basic points, as you can buy up to 15k.
Not sure what I'll do, but I'll hopefully be able to do the Japan trip in February in SAS J, which should give me some points, with the rest then being changed from extra points to basic points. Not really happy about this, I'm still hoping SAS will prolongue the extension... Both my JFK and SIN/HKG trips that I would have had to postpone from 2020 to 2021 I now have to postpone to 2022...
Old May 31, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
When I hit 30,000 basic points it became possible to purchase more basic points at normal prices (ie. in SEK or points).

I just checked again and it seems I can purchase up to 30,000 basic points so I don't know if they have moved the limit to 15,000 points or if they are allowing me to purchase to reach EBD? I thought the max was to purchase 15,000 basic points.
Old May 31, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SASegments
When I hit 30,000 basic points it became possible to purchase more basic points at normal prices (ie. in SEK or points).

I just checked again and it seems I can purchase up to 30,000 basic points so I don't know if they have moved the limit to 15,000 points or if they are allowing me to purchase to reach EBD? I thought the max was to purchase 15,000 basic points.
Good to hear that it works out.

According to the FAQ you are allowed to buy:
5.000 to reach Silver
15.000 to reach Gold
30.000 to reach Diamond

But in theory, you would need to have already the rest of the points on your account.
5.000 to allow the purchase of up to 5.000 to reach Silver
30.000 to allow the purchase of up to 15.000 to reach Gold
60.000 to allow the purchase of up to 30.000 to reach Diamond

What was the conversation rate between cash or extra and basic points again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.