Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Declares Scandinavia is not Scandinavian

Old Feb 11, 20, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SK uploaded a promotional video on their YouTube channel that caused an uproar. So much so that they first disabled the comments, then made the video private.

It only survived a few hours, but can still be seen here

Johan
hugolover, Thysk and East_and_West like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 6:26 pm

Its certainly what my friends and I think of Scandinavia these days...whats the issue? Pretty nice ad really. Shame they missed out Comrade Greta.
lhrpete and Cupart like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:25 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
LOL, looking at the whiny reactions triggered here and there, some people can’t take a joke.

Shame SAS pulled it down, though.
chemengin, Superrman and nmpls like this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:43 pm

Not sure what virtue signaling has to do with selling airline tickets, so this ad has me a bit baffled. Even worse, it might come back to bite them as they have admitted to cultural appropriation.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:42 pm

The agency behind the ad "& Co" sounds pretty cool. Reminds me of SAS's mission statement.

Our mantra is strategically focused creativity. The opposite of a brainwave.
We work with creative thinking and innovation as a process that ensures we relay one cohesive story across target groups, messages, and channels. This takes collaboration.

We believe collaboration is a core competence that is of equal importance as strategy and creativity.
Collaboration is hard work. But we are in it together. Fundamentally, collaboration is about a strategic point of departure. In this way we ensure we agree on the objective before we begin discussing the means.

Either you aim to sell more. Or to boost the price. Preferably both.
What drives your market? We work with TRAX®, a data-driven analysis that identifies the actual sales drivers. Contrary to what most people believe, almost all sales are driven by emotions.
Source
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:31 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
If this is about a lecture in Globalization then it's a good video - it tells people that culture and traditions are spreading everywhere. However this is a flags carrier and to some extent it is representing DK, SE and NO, personally I think it's more important to show the world what these countries have rather than how globalization started a long time ago. Don't know if herring (sild) is originally from Scandinavia.
GUWonder and Goaguy like this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
SK uploaded a promotional video on their YouTube channel that caused an uproar. So much so that they first disabled the comments, then made the video private.

It only survived a few hours, but can still be seen here here.

Johan
Thanks for sharing it.

I like it a lot, as it does make the point that is obvious to me but is obviously missed by many or even despised despite being true.

I don’t think it’s a great ad for SAS, but maybe it is for the customers and employees SAS wants to attract/retain.

It’s unfortunate that the ad was pulled and SAS finds itself in an environment where such an ad causes it problems.

I am not surprised things played out this way. Stockholm is special.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:01 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Couldn't care less about the ad, but I guess it's a bit tone-deaf in a time with an increasing "culture war" between nationalism and globalism/internationalism. Signaling values is one thing, but I doubt it would have won them many new customers.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:13 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Agreed, it may not be the best commercial I’ve seen lately but definitely not horrible either. The idea that some things may not be as Scandinavian as we think, and that who we are today has been shaped through centuries of globalisation and cultural interaction is as thought-provoking and intriguing as it is true. Some people point out that this should be about what Scandinavia is, and they have a point there. But we should keep in mind this is a SAS ad, not a Kulturdepartmentet or a “Visit Scandinavia” ad. And it does pass as alternative, global, and innovative, concepts that (rightly or wrongly) SAS marketing strategy has focused in the past years. Together with the beautiful images from Scandinavia it does leave the viewer with a positive and relaxing feeling, and a makes a good impression of SAS (at least until ones decides to visit Scandinavia travelling in long haul Go...).

Even if my reading is wrong, it’s in the very worst case just another uninteresting, lame ad, and this entire hussle is way too an overreaction.

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
The agency behind the ad "& Co" sounds pretty cool. Reminds me of SAS's mission statement.
Although it sounds cool indeed, I can't say I'm that impressed. Perhaps because many firms in Sweden use this appealing but vague mumbo jumbo in their profile nowadays...
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I am not surprised things played out this way. Stockholm is special.
Very true indeed, and that explains a lot.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Superrman View Post
Couldn't care less about the ad, but I guess it's a bit tone-deaf in a time with an increasing "culture war" between nationalism and globalism/internationalism. Signaling values is one thing, but I doubt it would have won them many new customers.
I can imagine my Danish furious looks and my father-in-law started swearing if they watched the video, and they are the ones who will pay for almost whatever SAS charges. This ad is obviously targeting Scandinavians and I think Danes already got the idea that they are taking things from other places like franskbrød, winerbrød. No idea if fransk hot dog is from France or engelsk bøf is English .

I think the problem with the video is that it pushed the Scandinavian is not Scandinavian too much, if they made it a bit less drastic and more focus on the achievements it will have a better effect.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:58 am

SAS thinks that there has been a "coordinated attack on our campaign." It's unclear if they're trying to blame Putin or the Chinese. It's also unclear how long the planning for this coordination has been ongoing. The planning for this coordinated attack has probably been ongoing for months ...

https://www.nrk.no/norge/reklamevide...oen-1.14899536
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
SAS thinks that there has been a "coordinated attack on our campaign." It's unclear if they're trying to blame Putin or the Chinese ...

LMAO
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS thinks that there has been a "coordinated attack on our campaign." It's unclear if they're trying to blame Putin or the Chinese. It's also unclear how long the planning for this coordination has been ongoing. The planning for this coordinated attack has probably been ongoing for months ...

Danish ad agency. But aren’t ad and media purchases run by Stockholm in the main?

Since I am not busy being amused by Crypto in Lund being on a PR kick after being flagged as a foreign intelligence front enabled and used by a very peculiar collection of countries (Sweden included) to target other countries and peoples, I will say that I did make myself a bit busy this morning to see what happened with this ad. It was likely that there were some coordinated dumping on SAS for this ad after it made the rounds amongst some online groups in Scandinavia. Not automated troll scripts from countries in the south and east, but maybe things to spread attention to this ad to set up the runway for attacking in response (and in responses).

My bet is that the attacks were mainly (but obviously not exclusively ) from the camping ground and charter tourist flight crowd that rarely flies SAS for business but is more likely to freak out when they have “foreigners” walking around in their neighborhood or doing anything they can exploit. I doubt that the ad agency was so blind to home market realities as to not realize that there are people in SAS’s home market that would attack this ad for pushing a narrative that flies in the face of those attacking elements.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 12, 20 at 5:45 am
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
No idea if fransk hot dog is from France.
It would have to be a fransk chien chaud, then.

Johan
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SAS thinks that there has been a "coordinated attack on our campaign."
Not only that, they claim it has been hijacked too!

' "När vi tittar på mönstret och antalet reaktioner på vår film finns det anledning att misstänka en attack och att vår kampanj har blivit kidnappad”, skriver företaget i ett utlåtande. '

Source

Johan

Search this Thread
Search Engine: