Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Declares Scandinavia is not Scandinavian

SAS Declares Scandinavia is not Scandinavian

Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by hugolover
It's on the BBC now. I didn't realise 1 in 4 Swedes are Far Right affiliated.
Their EU parliament group is ECR. Incidentally that's the Tory group.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was. U.K. is out.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hugolover
It's on the BBC now. I didn't realise 1 in 4 Swedes are Far Right affiliated.
Not shocking to me. But there are some real interesting twists to this that make it quite distinct from the nominal equivalent in non-Scandinavian parts of Europe. Like the Swedes with Thai brides, Latin American grooms or North African “boy toy” flings that go online engaging in xenophobic rants. Let no one say that Scandinavian reality can’t be more fantastic than fantasy. And I say this as someone who enjoys the Scandinavian noir genre of fiction on the screen.

Having said all of this, I do find the ad is probably more optimistic and willing to go outside of the box than the average Scandinavian I encounter. So in that regard, should I say that the SAS ad really isn’t Scandinavian and SAS has an identity crisis?
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 12, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:44 pm

The poor right wing were "Triggered",
Don't they claim they have a backbone and it's the left that's always "triggered" ?
IBJoel and Superrman like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
the Swedish thing is to say one thing and do the opposite without realizing it, and it’s a Norwegian thing to escape to the mountains to escape Danish and Swedish ways and to escape and fight against whatever the Swedes and Danes fail to stop.
Hahaha, there may be more truth to that Swedish thing than you can imagine, although the really sneaky do realize quite well what they are doing. And I can believe what you say about Norwegians too.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:08 am

The Swedish Aftonbladet has now officially named Russia as the actor that spread the battle against the SAS campaign:

SAS reklamfilm om skandinavisk kultur satte igĺng ett internationellt jättedrev pĺ sociala medier. Här är graferna som visar hur inlägg om videon spred sig frĺn svenska högerpopulistiska sajter till den ryska propagandajätten Sputnik – och vidare ut i världen.

SAS commercial about Scandinavian culture started an international huge drive on social media. Here are the graphics that show how posts about the video spread from Swedish rightist populist sites to the Russian propaganda giant Sputnik -- an out into the world.
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...nya-reklamfilm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:23 am

Personally, I think that Kurdish immigrant Tino Sanandaji had the best reply to the ad. In a Facebook post, he rips apart the whole ad, pointing out factual mistakes, and pointing to a range of things that are truly from Scandinavia. The text is too long for me to translate into English, but here's the Swedish version for those of you who understand Swedish:

Media har idag svĺrt att förstĺ den negativa reaktionen mot SAS. DN kopplar kritiken till nazister, medan Aftonbladet tror pĺ en Rysk konspiration: ”Sĺ kapades SAS nya film av en trollarmé”.

Det är dock lätt att förstĺ varför historiekunniga reagerar mer negativ än DN-läsare som saknar bildning att identifiera faktafel samt en falsk central premiss vad gäller Skandinaviens avsaknad av egna innovationer.

SAS pĺstĺr att köttbullar kommer frĺn Turkiet, en fĺnig vandringsskröna baserad pĺ kĺldolmar, och visar oss turbiner utan att tala om att Danmark visst var först i världen med havsbaserat vindkraftverk. Vi ser en pappa och fĺr höra att Schweiz gav oss föräldraledigheten, trots att de bara gav mammor ledigt och ett helt annat land uppfann pappaledighet: “Sweden was the first country in the world to introduce paid parental leave also to fathers in 1974”

Framförallt slirar filmen genom att lĺta bli att nämna riktiga uppfinningar och i stället prata som sĺnt ingen tror är skandinavisk, sĺsom cykeln. Tvärtom är Skandinavien en av världens mest innovativa regioner, nĺgot man inser bara man tar en titt pĺ upptäcktland för grundämnen. Sĺledes mäter stora delar av mänskligheten temperatur med Celsius, klassificerar biologin med linneansk taxonomi och utgĺr frĺn Bohrs bidrag till kvantfysik för att försöka förstĺ universum.

Alla fattar inte ironin med att pĺstĺ att inget kommer frĺn Skandinavien pĺ en onsdag (sic) eller torsdag (sic), eller skriva om trollarméer (sic). Dessa politisk korrekta journalister verkar inte känna inte till att Sverige var först i världen 1766 med grundlagsfäst pressfrihet, eller att Danmark 1844 uppfann folkhögskolan de kanske själva studerat pĺ.

Andra lĺtsas brinna för värdegrunden men vet inte att Sverige var först med att förbjuda barnaga 1979, att Norge var först med promillekontroll i trafiken 1936, först med en miljöminister med departement 1972 och med anti-gay diskrimineringslag 1981, eller att Danmark blev världens första demokrati med en kvinnlig minister 1924, först att tillĺta samsexpartnerskap 1989 och först att förbjuda slavhandeln 1792.

I USA vet vissa pĺlästa Berniebros att Sverige var pionjär med allmän pensionsförsäkring 1913, medan svenska vänstern ger varandra ryggdunk om budskapet att deras land blott gett världen urbarbariet.

Jag saknar utrymme för alla kulturella bidrag, det räcker att nämna att de isländska sagorna är världslitteraturens utan jämförelse mest omfattande och mest imponerande textsamling om vanligt folk före moderniteten.

Men visst, förutom allemansrätt, ombudsman, dynamit, pacemakern, sfärisk kullager, ĺngturbinen, skiftnyckeln, rullatorn, banksedlar, befolkningsregister, separatorn, lättcement, passbitar, trepunktsbälte, gasturbin, sprayflaskan, osthyveln, säkerhetständstickan, nikotintuggummi, solsten, lĺngbĺt, blixlĺs, headset, elbörs, indexkort, Lego, Hasselblad, IKEA, Skype & Spotify, what have the Scandinavians ever given us?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:06 am
Suspended

Sanandaji may be well-intentioned but he isn’t very convincing on everything he says. For a long time after 1766 in Sweden, there was no freedom for the media to criticize the royal household nor the Swedish church. And even into the 1930s and 1940s, publishing and distributing material against the Nazis in Sweden was a recipe for facing trouble in various ways regardless of what some pretty language in a law may say. I won’t go into this more here, but I will say that Sweden has never completely faced down the level of Swedish support for and indifference toward the Nazis that existed in Sweden in the 1930s and even after WW2. And it shows in 2020, even as the targets and means of attack are now different.

Originally Posted by RedChili
The Swedish Aftonbladet has now officially named Russia as the actor that spread the battle against the SAS campaign:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...nya-reklamfilm
Sputnik is intended to stir the pot, and it did stir the pot and ramp up the negative commentary about the ad. It was not the only pot-stirring channel, and not all of them were Russian.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 13, 2020 at 2:31 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The agency behind the add has now had a bomb threat.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/po...-bag-sas-video

Can anyone really get riled up enough about this to send bomb threats? It is sometimes a sad world we live in.
GUWonder and Superrman like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by quitecryptic
From an outsider's perspective (doesn't live there) the ad seems fine. It simply shows how much stuff a lot of Scandinavians use all of the time are originally from or influenced by other countries and cultures. That seems like a solid message to inspire travel to see more things from other cultures.

I can see how some might take it the wrong way, but it is not the purpose of this ad to promote Scandinavia, the tourist agencies can do that.
I would love to see Air India be able to do this kind of ad for what is India/Indian without it leading to problems, but that is unfortunately not going to happen. So I guess this makes this kind of ad from SAS really Scandinavian, unless and until KLM are able and willing to pull it off for what is Dutch or some other airline from other parts does it too.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:32 am

Sputnik is intended to stir the pot, and it did stir the pot and ramp up the negative commentary about the ad. It was not the only pot-stirring channel, and not all of them were Russian.
I don't read anything from Sputnik or any other pot-stirring channels, so I don't know about those. But I've seen plenty of Facebook posts made by individuals that are in some way upset/enraged/digusted by the ad. It could very well be that some of those channels have tried to stir the pot even more, but in my opinion, the flames had already started burning long before Sputnik perhaps got on the bandwagon.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: Various
I would love to see Air India be able to do this kind of ad for what is India/Indian without it leading to problems, but that is unfortunately not going to happen.
Something all those enraged by SAS clearly knows. This is part of why they're so angry.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if SAS wanted to stir the pot or were clueless to what public opinion to a large extent is. I'm more sure now what their intention was. All this Russia this and that is imported from America's Democrat media and establishment.

Too bad that opposition to Russia is discredited that way because's there's plenty of real reason to distrust that country.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The agency behind the add has now had a bomb threat.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/po...-bag-sas-video

Can anyone really get riled up enough about this to send bomb threats? It is sometimes a sad world we live in.
Unfortunately this is the world nowadays - there's always someone go the extreme way and spending time and energy to threaten people.

I saw some interesting comment on either FB or Youtube, some people comment on this is promoting Judaism. Anyone know why they said that? Some people said SAS is owned partly by a Jewish foundation and I have no clue why this has any link to the video.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:05 am
Suspended

Facebook is a pot-stirrer, as that unleashes the sounds of the cash registers of old for it in ways that being boring would not. Facebook feeds on and from pot-stirring ... in ways that far exceed what ink-on-paper tabloids could ever do. It's why the more extreme pot-stirring outlets and personalities want to get their material onto Facebook and some other online channels that amplify their voice and grow their angry/paranoid/excited audiences hungry for extreme-confirmation-bias-supporting narratives that can't take place like they do without them.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Something all those enraged by SAS clearly knows. This is part of why they're so angry.
I have plenty of reason to doubt that is something known by all those enraged by this SAS ad. And even if all those angry snowflakes did know that and are angry about that, it is sort of telling that this difference between being "Scandinavian" and "Indian" makes them angry while it would make others -- myself included -- to be proud that being Scandinavian would allow for this kind of ad and discussion without coming with threats of violence and other angry mob behavior against it. Unfortunately, this kind of ad seems to show that maybe being "Scandinavian" may not be so different than being "____[group identity]" in a world where polarization rules the roost and scapegoating and division against "the other" are the order of the day.

There are some tidbits tangential to this SAS ad that I may like to make about Russia and the way Russia deals with Sweden and assets in Sweden, but it wouldn't fly well here .... and I'm not sure FRA, MUST and SAPO would like it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 13, 2020 at 5:13 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Unfortunately this is the world nowadays - there's always someone go the extreme way and spending time and energy to threaten people.

I saw some interesting comment on either FB or Youtube, some people comment on this is promoting Judaism. Anyone know why they said that? Some people said SAS is owned partly by a Jewish foundation and I have no clue why this has any link to the video.
They say that kind of stuff because of antisemitism and buying into antisemitic ideas. Attacking the Bonnier publishing company for having publications that don't all explicitly kiss up to the right wing narrative, for example, is old hack in Sweden: https://www.jta.org/2016/10/07/globa...ntrol-of-media Now doing this to go after SAS for this ad is just a different version of that.

Extremists of various sorts dislike cross-cutting cleavages of identity and don't like people who may have an identity that isn't (or isn't ) just local ethno-nationalistic or whatever identity they fancy and want to the exclusion of others. Anti-semitic tropes include attacking European Jews as not being loyal citizens, as people who promote diversity and cosmopolitanism as a faith/community that is found in multiple places and may try to maintain some cross-border ties in some ways. So that's your answer to why you encountered such comments about SAS and this ad. Of course this kind of stuff seems to get aimed at "the other" despite many an ethno-nationalist extremist being engaged in their own versions of cross-border affiliations. But there are some other strange bedfellows in Scandinavian countries that make it all a weird smorgasbord.
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 13, 2020 at 5:37 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.