Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund of an award booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Award ticket cancelation/refund

Could someone please confirm that if I cancel a Star Alliance award ticket booked with Eurobonus miles, I will get a refund of both the miles and the taxes/fees paid?
Are there any award cancelation fees?

The website is pretty opaque on this topic, does not seem to give any specifics other than that Star Alliance awards can be canceled.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Given that miles are still valid and not expired they will be refunded. Taxes and fees will be refunded except 450SEK per person which is a non refundable booking fee.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

(I wish Eurobonus website had that info spelled out clearly)
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by freppa87
Given that miles are still valid and not expired they will be refunded. Taxes and fees will be refunded except 450SEK per person which is a non refundable booking fee.

Thank you, I had the same question and was not able to find any information on their website regarding cancellation of Star Award Tickets and the fees.
I paid 50 Euros fee when I booked my Star Alliance Award Ticket.
So, if I cancel the Ticket I will get back all the taxes less this 50 Euros, is this correct? Or do I have to pay this fee again for cancelling?
Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Refund of an award booking

I canceled a Eurobonus booking, and just received a refund notification. It shows original fee paid as USD 79, consisting of USD 29 "taxes" and USD 50 unspecified. It shows a refund of USD 29 only. I believe in the past I received the entire amount back (but perhaps under different circumstances?)

What is the USD 50 fee, is it supposed to be refunded?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:12 pm

It is the service fee. And Yes, since a few years now, that part is in refundable. Pretty sad move from SAS I have to admit.

Last edited by fassy; Jan 30, 2020 at 3:45 pm Reason: Removed booking fee wording
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: More than one
The booking fee has never been refundable, but some years ago, there were no booking fee and I think there still is no booking fee for Diamond members.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

I am a diamond member, so perhaps should call and check.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:44 pm

No, the service fee (not booking fee!) applies to all bookings, even for EBDs. The booking fee (375 SEK/person) comes is added on top if you call in to make the reservation. But they waive the booking fee for EBDs if you made the reservation by phone via an agent.

the unrefundable service fee is just a scam. but you have to suck it up.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
No, the service fee (not booking fee!) applies to all bookings, even for EBDs. The booking fee (375 SEK/person) comes is added on top if you call in to make the reservation. But they waive the booking fee for EBDs if you made the reservation by phone via an agent.
There were no service fee when I booked my last *A award flight about a year ago and a half ago. Only taxes. I know that 100% sure because I had to cancel and got a 100% refund without discussion.
The trip were booked through mail, so I'm not sure whether there is a service fee if you book online without involving an agent, but no matter whether you call it a booking fee or service fee doesn't really matter. It's a fee for the work/systems required for doing the booking and IMHO it's fare that you don't get that refunded if you have to cancel.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
There were no service fee when I booked my last *A award flight about a year ago and a half ago. Only taxes. I know that 100% sure because I had to cancel and got a 100% refund without discussion.
The trip were booked through mail, so I'm not sure whether there is a service fee if you book online without involving an agent, but no matter whether you call it a booking fee or service fee doesn't really matter. It's a fee for the work/systems required for doing the booking and IMHO it's fare that you don't get that refunded if you have to cancel.
Did you do a Star Alliance award or a SAS award? Makes a difference...

E.g. for a StarAlliance awards booking I made last summer:

Fare 0.00 USD
Equivalent Fare Paid 0.00 SEK
Taxes, Fees, Other Charges 834.00 SEK
Domestic/International Fees 0.00 SEK
Ticket Amount: 834.00 SEK
Service Fee 450.00 SEK
Total Amount: 1284.00 SEK
Domestic/International fees are non-refundable for non-refundable fares.
Form of Payment: American Express
Endorsement/Restrictions: SAS STAR AWARD RBKNG RESTRICTIONS -BG:LH

Did another one, where the agent missed to waive the booking fee:
Fare 0.00 USD
Equivalent Fare Paid 0.00 SEK
Taxes, Fees, Other Charges 885.00 SEK
Domestic/International Fees 0.00 SEK
Ticket Amount: 885.00 SEK
Service Fee 825.00 SEK
Total Amount: 1710.00 SEK
Domestic/International fees are non-refundable for non-refundable fares.
Form of Payment: American Express
Endorsement/Restrictions: SAS STAR AWARD RBKNG RESTRICTIONS

I pinged EBD support and they issued the refund of 375.00 SEK off the Service fee, which is the phone booking fee.
Amount Paid
Fare Paid 1.00
Taxes, Fees, Other Charges 885.00
Service Fee 825.00
TOTAL AMOUNT: 1711.00 SEK

Amount Refunded
Fare 0.00
Taxes, Fees, Other Charges 0.00
Service Fee 375.00
TOTAL REFUNDED: 375.00 SEK
TOTAL AMOUNT: 1711.00 SEK

For all Star Alliance bookings a 450 SEK service fee applies. Doesn't matter if booked online, or via the call center.

For SAS Award tickets, I think this doesn't apply. But funny enough, just looked up the fare rules for SAS award tickets: CAN CELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - CANCELLATIONS ARE PERMITTED SUBJECT TO A POINTS PENALTY.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is no service fee for SAS award tickets booked online.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver. EB Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
There is no service fee for SAS award tickets booked online.
That is indeed correct, but if you book a *A award on SAS it is a service fee and it is not refundable.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so here is a data point.

I canceled the award mentioned above (over the phone) and was refunded less the "booking fee".
Canceled another award (online) and today received a full refund of the fee paid, including the "booking fee".

No idea why that is the case.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: EB Gold
I cancelled last week a SAS booking less than 24hours before the flight and got both points and taxes and fees back. Ticket was booked online, cancellation was done per telephone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.