FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   SAS stops all direct flights to mainland China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/2006800-sas-stops-all-direct-flights-mainland-china.html)

supersympa Jan 30, 2020 5:10 am

SAS stops all direct flights to mainland China

Nothing about HKG yet

I guess that was a matter of time....

SKT-DK Jan 30, 2020 6:06 am

Well, it would be nice to include a source - but here you go, I'll do that for you:

https://www.sas.dk/traffic-information/message/

CORONAVIRUS

(Updated 30JAN20)

INFORMATION REGARDING SAS FLIGHTS TO AND FROM SHANGHAI, BEIJING AND HONGKONG
The safety of our passengers and employees is our highest priority. After evaluating the situation in China regarding the Coronavirus, SAS has decided to suspend all flights to and from Shanghai and Beijing, as from tomorrow Friday 31st January, until February 9th. SAS will also close sales for all flights to and from Shanghai and Beijing until February 29th.

Refunds and rebooking possibilities are offered for affected passengers.

SAS will operate the scheduled flights outbound from Copenhagen to Shanghai and Beijing 30th January including homebound flights from Shanghai and Beijing to Copenhagen 31th January.

Hong Kong will be serviced as scheduled.

SAS will continue to monitor the situation in constant dialogue with authorities regarding information about the situation.

supersympa Jan 30, 2020 7:22 am

Thank you @SKT-DK

I will do better next time

livious Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by supersympa (Post 32011941)
Thank you @SKT-DK

I will do better next time

No need to apologize when the info was correct;)

GUWonder Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm

So during this period of suspended service, what will be done with the wide-body planes that SAS will have pulled from China service?

A lot of airlines seem to have planes that may go underutilized due to the suspension of China service. I wonder what all SAS and some of these airlines will do with the extra plane availability time.

highupinthesky Jan 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 32014931)
So during this period of suspended service, what will be done with the wide-body planes that SAS will have pulled from China service?

A lot of airlines seem to have planes that may go underutilized due to the suspension of China service. I wonder what all SAS and some of these airlines will do with the extra plane availability time.

Mostly maintenance or stored. The time frame and notice is to short for additional routes or flights on existing routes. A few cases of swapping to a larger bird on existing routes might happen, but it will be the rare case.

hkgg Mar 3, 2020 1:16 am

Has anyone been rebooked by SAS when SAS cancelled their services to PEK/PVG/HKG? I see SAS has extended their cancellations to end of April, including HKG flights.... I'm booked on an SAS flight from HKG in April. Hoping to see what options have been given to travellers as of late.

highupinthesky Mar 3, 2020 1:46 am

Originally Posted by hkgg (Post 32135432)
Has anyone been rebooked by SAS when SAS cancelled their services to PEK/PVG/HKG? I see SAS has extended their cancellations to end of April, including HKG flights.... I'm booked on an SAS flight from HKG in April. Hoping to see what options have been given to travellers as of late.

Automatic rebooking doesn't happen as far as I know, but you should be able to get rebooked on other metal following normal disruption rules if you call your TA. Alternatively you can rebook to another date after April 30 for free or get a full refund.

hkgg Mar 3, 2020 1:48 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 32135486)
Automatic rebooking doesn't happen as far as I know, but you should be able to get rebooked on other metal following normal disruption rules if you call your TA.

Thanks for the response. We booked directly with SK, and booked SAS Plus into A, including intra-EU segments. Wonder how SAS Plus will be translated when they rebook onto another carrier? Any one has any experience?

SKT-DK Mar 3, 2020 1:52 am

Originally Posted by hkgg (Post 32135489)
Thanks for the response. We booked directly with SK, and booked SAS Plus into A, including intra-EU segments. Wonder how SAS Plus will be translated when they rebook onto another carrier? Any one has any experience?

Unless SAS are in a good mood (making a mistake), A class will translate into economy on a carrier operating only Y and C class. For the long-haul, I suggest you find out which options you have for carriers operating a PE cabin before you call up SK for rebooking, so you can steer the agent in the direction you want.

hkgg Mar 3, 2020 1:58 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 32135497)
Unless SAS are in a good mood (making a mistake), A class will translate into economy on a carrier operating only Y and C class. For the long-haul, I suggest you find out which options you have for carriers operating a PE cabin before you call up SK for rebooking, so you can steer the agent in the direction you want.

Right, good tip. I suppose SK has a preference for *A carriers, ie LH? And what about intra-EU SAS Plus A class? Does SK have a tendency to book into intra-EU Y?

Thanks!

CPH-Flyer Mar 3, 2020 2:24 am

Originally Posted by hkgg (Post 32135508)
Right, good tip. I suppose SK has a preference for *A carriers, ie LH? And what about intra-EU SAS Plus A class? Does SK have a tendency to book into intra-EU Y?

Thanks!

Intra EU with booking class A will end up in Y on other carriers.

highupinthesky Mar 3, 2020 2:32 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32135545)

?? SAS Plus on intra EU normally end up at business when I've been rebooked to LH metal for a connecting flight.

hkgg Mar 3, 2020 2:32 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32135545)

Surely then that would represent an "involuntary downgrade" in all sense and purposes, and with regards to EU261?

CPH-Flyer Mar 3, 2020 2:33 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 32135574)
?? SAS Plus on intra EU normally end up at business when I've been rebooked to LH metal.

In A or the more expensive ones?