Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SK intra Europe doesn't accept US credit cards on board

Old Dec 23, 19, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G

They don't accept any US credit cards without a pin now. Also not prepaid cards, cards without a chip, and no cash.

Not sure if this is also the case on flights to the US?
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:48 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Originally Posted by nick5000 View Post
They don't accept any US credit cards without a pin now. Also not prepaid cards, cards without a chip, and no cash.

Not sure if this is also the case on flights to the US?
This is because of the EU payment directive PSD2 coming I to effect. It is now not permissible to take payment without two factor.

For instance, card plus pin code in physical sales and card numbers plus SMS text message code for online sales.

It's to reduce fraud, and generally a positive thing.

Surely, in 2020, people really don't have cards without PIN codes?
SK2751 and LiHS like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aju View Post
This is because of the EU payment directive PSD2 coming I to effect. It is now not permissible to take payment without two factor.

For instance, card plus pin code in physical sales and card numbers plus SMS text message code for online sales.

I have bank cards without PINs. Itís still not unusual for US charge/credit cards.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I have bank cards without PINs. Itís still not unusual for US charge/credit cards.
But frankly it's not the problem of SAS that, well, the US banking system is rather antiquated. I mean many people there still use checks! Who deoas that?
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:09 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
It appears that PSD2 came into effect on September 14 2019.

However, I was in Crete in October and Rome in November and used a US credit card with a chip but no PIN, just a signature, extensively on both trips and without problems.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G

No US credit cards have pins, only debit cards.
Also the eu directive doesn't require this for all transactions, then us cards wouldn't work anywhere in Europe. Also the EU directive only apply to EU cards.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
But frankly it's not the problem of SAS that, well, the US banking system is rather antiquated. I mean many people there still use checks! Who deoas that?
It was SAS that decided to refuse cash for in-flight purchases. And itís a problem for some SAS customers, with or without the issues of the US banking system.

And I will say this, the old ways of dealing with financial transactions have their use; and phasing them out in an era of electronic warfare and attacks that can be done even on the relative cheap is risky business in a way still.

Whatís SAS going to do for its EU banking customers at the time when the in-flight electronic payment acceptance system doesnít work (again?) Tell even more kinds of its customers to just starve on the flight?

PSD2ís SCA has been given a pass in various parts of the EU despite what was to be part of the mandate across the board in Q3 2019.

PSD2 is a massive enabler of privacy erosion, but youíll need to wait for the next Snowden to get confirmation of how that ends up working for the US.
mcgahat and East_and_West like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 19 at 7:17 am
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold

The EU didn't introduce PSD2 to counter fraud but to make sure that all creditcard transactions are trackable to an individual. Surely people don't commit creditcard fraud for an inedible free sandwich on a SAS flight?

I find it very strange as well but its historically always been the case in Sweden, no swiping and every transaction needs a bank authorisation before any goods or service are released. Even for a 20sek coffee purchase. The default attitude to treat everyone as a criminal in the most gullible country on the planet is mind boggling.

Cards without chip and PIN are still very common in the US and I strongly prefer that system. Using PIN and chip for payment is a slower process than just a swipe and increases queues.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:21 am

Arenít a lot of contactless payment systems in the EU still not PSD2 SCA-compliant?

Undermining payment and transportation privacy are things I donít welcome, but this is increasingly the Scandinavian way. And yet people will just ball off their heads in various directions when a mother/doctor gets assassinated in front of her young child in Malmo without understanding that the privacy-hostile and additional privacy-eroding ways make this stuff way more likely and possible than would otherwise be the case.

i no longer buy stuff on SAS flights, but does SAS even take contactless payments for in-flight purchases?

if someone near me tries to use cash for in-flight purchases and canít buy what they want in a currency of use to me, Iíll offer to put the charges on my cards and take their cash. I still love cash and coin and itís still likely that I can make near exact change for most purchases of in-flight food and drink .

And if someone wants to try to cheat me out of money for an SAS snack, they have my pity as the food is not to my taste usually.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 19 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
But frankly it's not the problem of SAS that, well, the US banking system is rather antiquated.
Evidently there isn't an overall financial advantage to PIN over signature, or the US would switch. Every decision made by the banks and credit card companies have money at the root. If it were financially advantageous to switch to PIN, they would.

That said, I just applied for a credit card that is PIN based. There are a few US based credit cards that can be set up to use PINs. I am an American expat, and I occasionally encounter a vendor who only accepts PIN based cards. I got one to cover them.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Evidently there isn't an overall financial advantage to PIN over signature, or the US would switch. Every decision made by the banks and credit card companies have money at the root. If it were financially advantageous to switch to PIN, they would.

That said, I just applied for a credit card that is PIN based. There are a few US based credit cards that can be set up to use PINs. I am an American expat, and I occasionally encounter a vendor who only accepts PIN based cards. I got one to cover them.
The US card issuers and accepting merchants seem to be doing at least as well or better than their equivalents in the EU. There are various reasons for that, but apparently the slow move toward PIN use for US Cards hasnít been a US growth show-stopper.

There are indeed some US credit cards with PINs, but I try to stay away from using PINs with US credit cards. And most US debit cards with PINs have worse forex and maybe weaker consumer protection than some charge and credit cards.

Scandinavian hotels still take US cards with a signature. SAS payment processing isnít subject to a different governmental/quasi-governmental standard than that for Scandinavian hotels.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Scandinavian hotels still take US cards with a signature. SAS payment processing isnít subject to a different governmental/quasi-governmental standard than that for Scandinavian hotels.
Does anyone know if SAS processes payments online or offline? I can't remember the last time I bought something off their menu as most of my intra-European flights with them are sub-2h, but I would assume the sales are made offline, and data is forwarded to the appropriate financial institutions after landing. As compared to a hotel where the ability of the payment terminal to "talk" to the card issuer isn't an issue, the risk-assessment for an offline transaction is certainly different, and regulations might well differ as well.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by LiHS View Post
Does anyone know if SAS processes payments online or offline? I can't remember the last time I bought something off their menu as most of my intra-European flights with them are sub-2h, but I would assume the sales are made offline, and data is forwarded to the appropriate financial institutions after landing. As compared to a hotel where the ability of the payment terminal to "talk" to the card issuer isn't an issue, the risk-assessment for an offline transaction is certainly different, and regulations might well differ as well.
SAS flights to/from the US seem to have internet connectivity more times than not. Not sure if that would make a difference with payment processing on flights to/from the US.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nick5000 View Post
No US credit cards have pins, only debit cards.
I can tell you that this is wrong. My company travel card has a PIN associated with it. I can bypass it by pressing cancel typically.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:15 am

I'm not touching the political discussion of PSD2 with a 3.3-metre pole, but blaming PSD2 for equipment that rejects foreign credit cards is not just lazy but wrong.

First, the requirements of PSD2 don't apply at all to payments made with cards issued outside the EEA. Not EMV contact, not contactless, not online, not ever. The country of issue is coded into the chip, so it's not rocket science to determine. After all, processors have no problem reading the currency off my card to offer me a really crappy DCC rate.
Second, for purchases under €30, SCA is only required after the 5th transaction or when the total of no CVM transactions reaches €100 and this is the issuer's job to enforce.

But why do it correctly when it's easier to program your terminal to either use offline PIN or reject the transaction? It's not like the networks (whose rules explicitly ban this) will actually do anything about it.
GUWonder and East_and_West like this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Dec 23, 19 at 10:25 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: