Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No longer free seat selection for (non SAS) *G

Old Nov 8, 19, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

I know most of you on here will say "about time". For me, it was certainly nice while it lasted (which it did for many, many years). Not sure if it really isn't offered anymore for all non-SAS *G, but it definitely is not offered anymore for A3*G. Sadly, I'm assuming that also means that the soft seat block is gone.

Just one more data point to take into account when selecting my carrier of choice ... there is something to be said about non-stop flights, but when I have time, and the flight is relatively short notice, I find myself drawn to Swiss quite often, particularly now that they have a (more than) decent lounge in Terminal A at ZRH. Admittedly, no advance seat selection free of charge either - but free booze/snack, much better ambience and service than SAS, fast track @CPH, and often significantly cheaper than SAS non-stop.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
That really was a nice feature of SAS
Gnopps likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I got free seat selection on SAS flights for partner airline*Gs earlier this month. But that was at check-in.

It's been my habit for quite some time now to check-in online with SAS at 22 hours before departure, so maybe that could explain how a change like this may escape my attention.

The soft-seat block for OAL*Gs on SK flights seems to have been unreliable for me for quite some time, but last month I seemed to be able to pull it off on a flight that was 85+% full in economy.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I got free seat selection on SAS flights for partner airline*Gs earlier this month. But that was at check-in.
Are there any *A airline, which doesn't have free seat selection for everyone at check-in?

It's been my habit for quite some time now to check-in online with SAS at 22 hours before departure, so maybe that could explain how a change like this may escape my attention.
Often doing the check-in at 22 hours before departure will give you a pretty good seat selection, but EBG and EBD have free seat selection at booking not matter the class they book.

The soft-seat block for OAL*Gs on SK flights seems to have been unreliable for me for quite some time, but last month I seemed to be able to pull it off on a flight that was 85+% full in economy.
IMHO the soft-seat block is a myth. I'm EBD and I've been on 75% full flights where there were someone next to me. Also I've quite often checked the seat map shortly before check-in closes. At this point in time the seat next to me were free, but when boarding was completed the seat next to me was taken.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
Are there any *A airline, which doesn't have free seat selection for everyone at check-in?
If there isn't already, there will be when a *A airline copies Delta Air Lines for certain fare types in economy class.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
TP
Often doing the check-in at 22 hours before departure will give you a pretty good seat selection, but EBG and EBD have free seat selection at booking not matter the class they book.
No, without status you get less choice at T-22. I checked that with an EBB colleague and for me way more seats were still available on the same flight.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
TP

No, without status you get less choice at T-22. I checked that with an EBB colleague and for me way more seats were still available on the same flight.
Could this be, because you can override the seat blocks of other status pax?
JR67 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
If SAS don't even release exit seats for free at check-in, that would be really bad news (and would definitely cause me to prefer other airlines). I can report back on that on Sunday. With LX, my A3*G works to get me into exit seats (a couple of days ago, I was surprised about the seats offered at check-in when I noticed that my A3 number had not made it into the booking; adding the number fixed things).
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
TP

I know that last weekend I was seeing a pretty good selection of seats available for OAL*Gs on SK flights at T-22 to T-21 and no seats had any surcharge. Closer to T-48, SAS was trying to charge money for seat selection, but those seats were mostly free (and all without fees) at T-22. Speaking of economy class.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I know that last weekend I was seeing a pretty good selection of seats available for OAL*Gs on SK flights at T-22 to T-21 and no seats had any surcharge. Closer to T-48, SAS was trying to charge money for seat selection, but those seats were mostly free (and all without fees) at T-22. Speaking of economy class.
Check-in at SK often opens before T-22. On some flights I've been able to check-in at T-36. I think it depends on whether they are connecting flights for long haul flights, in which cases the check-in opens at the same time as check-in for the long haul flight.
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and LT Plat, Radisson Platinum
IMHO the soft-seat block is a myth. I'm EBD and I've been on 75% full flights where there were someone next to me. Also I've quite often checked the seat map shortly before check-in closes. At this point in time the seat next to me were free, but when boarding was completed the seat next to me was taken.
Have you tried checking the seat map on ExpertFlyer? It will show the blocks. I do this often when flying SAS, and I almost always see a block next to my seat (and it usually stays that way). This is for short-haul Plus (but I can see that there are also blocks in Go).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by AverageHighFlyer View Post
Have you tried checking the seat map on ExpertFlyer? It will show the blocks. I do this often when flying SAS, and I almost always see a block next to my seat (and it usually stays that way). This is for short-haul Plus (but I can see that there are also blocks in Go).
Yes. I've tried to look at expertflyer, and I've never seen a block next to my seat.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
If there isn't already, there will be when a *A airline copies Delta Air Lines for certain fare types in economy class.
United is already doing that for their Basic Economy pax. Also those "preferred seats" aren't free at check-in either - it's like their E+, you won't get them unless you pay - even for *G.

Free seat selection was definitely a great perk for *G.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
United is already doing that for their Basic Economy pax.
DL does it, and UA loves to copy DL. So I shouldn’t be surprised by that.

All these devaluations in practical benefits given to partner program elites is but an incentive for such customers to become ever more of a free agent and be more of an a la carte consumer who defaults ever more to paying no brand premium for alliance affiliation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 8, 19 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:15 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
DL does it, and UA loves to copy DL. So I shouldn’t be surprised by that.

All these devaluations in practical benefits given to partner program elites is but an incentive for such customers to become ever more of a free agent and be more of an a la carte consumer who defaults ever more to paying no brand premium for alliance affiliation.

That's one of the nice things about Oneworld, the seating perks that airlines give to their own status members are also passed along to all other status members. Main Cabin Extra on AA is available free of charge at time of booking to me as JAL emerald member. But Star Alliance never included the seating perks as an alliance benefit, sadly.

Search this Thread