Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No longer free seat selection for (non SAS) *G

No longer free seat selection for (non SAS) *G

Old Nov 15, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
An airline that gives premium customers -- even partner airlines' premium customers -- bad seat selections in economy class is doing those customers a disservice and showing them that they really aren't premium customers in the eyes of the airline management team.
Of course not, on the contrary, why should airlines give you free seats while others are willing to pay for it?

Maybe you are lucky with QR, I tried that with OWS status and the perk was that we were able to pick seats during reservation, no empty seat next to us - However CX did treat us well (but that was 2013) they gave us 7 seats for 4 people in Y.

That's definitely a weakness of *G - even the extra bag perk is taken away when a *G book basic economy (obviously 0 bag +1 bag= 0 bag).
Old Nov 15, 19, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Of course not, on the contrary, why should airlines give you free seats while others are willing to pay for it?

Maybe you are lucky with QR, I tried that with OWS status and the perk was that we were able to pick seats during reservation, no empty seat next to us - However CX did treat us well (but that was 2013) they gave us 7 seats for 4 people in Y.

That's definitely a weakness of *G - even the extra bag perk is taken away when a *G book basic economy (obviously 0 bag +1 bag= 0 bag).
It's not about the airline giving a free seat to the customers; it's about customers of sorts getting a more comfortable seating arrangement from the airline and being among the most likely to receive the most comfortable seating arrangement in the cabin that the airline can provide.

But airlines in the aggregate have an increasingly "you are your fare/business this time" approach, so what SAS is doing to make the flying experience worse for customers in the main -- including *Gs in economy class -- isn't surprising. Rather it's expected.
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
For whatever reason when in economy, QR, for example, almost always gives me -- a partner program elite status customer -- an empty seat next to me in economy class and makes sure to put me at the front of the cabin. It makes me partial to using them more than I otherwise would. SK seems to be on a path to do the opposite of that when it comes to partner program *Gs.
QR gives you an empty seat almost always because their load factor is around 40%. Most of their flights are empty.
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
QR gives you an empty seat almost always because their load factor is around 40%. Most of their flights are empty.
That can't explain it, as my experiences this year with having empty seats/seat block next to me on QR flights includes QR flights this year when the cabin was full for all but 1-2 seats (or even 100% full ) and yet the seat next to me was empty or blocked (sometime even to the complete shock of the flight attendants and even ground-handling agents for QR at ARN and CPH).
Old Nov 15, 19, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
That can't explain it, as my experiences this year with having empty seats/seat block next to me on QR flights includes QR flights this year when the cabin was full for all but 1-2 seats (or even 100% full ) and yet the seat next to me was empty or blocked (sometime even to the complete shock of the flight attendants and even ground-handling agents for QR at ARN and CPH).
QR has no such thing as seat block in Y. Nor do they keep the exit and bulkhead rows back for OWE or OWS, the exit and bulkhead rows are kept for airport control, whoever ask for them at the airport desk will get them.

I have seen a seat block of sorts in QR J on the an empty A320. My travel partner without oneworld status and on a separate booking could pick the seat next to me, but within 24 hours he was always moved to another seat.
Old Nov 15, 19, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
QR has no such thing as seat block in Y. Nor do they keep the exit and bulkhead rows back for OWE or OWS, the exit and bulkhead rows are kept for airport control, whoever ask for them at the airport desk will get them.

I have seen a seat block of sorts in QR J on the an empty A320. My travel partner without oneworld status and on a separate booking could pick the seat next to me, but within 24 hours he was always moved to another seat.
Call what Iím getting a seat block or not, QR has been giving me way better seat arrangements in my cabins on their flights than SK has; and QR has been keeping me with a string of empty seats next to me even on my extremely full flights with them this year while SK doesnít come close to it for me. And Iím only using partner airline programs when flying SK, and I am only using partner airline programs when flying QR.

If Iím merely getting lucky with QR even on very full QR flights, I must be the luckiest person on the planet and you should give me all your savings to play high-stakes poker for your retirement plan. ó says the very unlucky IFE blackjack player

I dislike bulkhead seats in economy, and I am more than happy to never get them on some planes. And as I donít like emergency exit row seats when the arm-rests are of the immovable sort, I am not the biggest fan of emergency row seat assignments unless Iím certain not to get those hip-huggers.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 15, 19 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 15, 19, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Call what Iím getting a seat block or not, QR has been giving me way better seat arrangements in my cabins on their flights than SK has; and QR has been keeping me with a string of empty seats next to me even on my extremely full flights with them this year while SK doesnít come close to it for me. And Iím only using partner airline programs when flying SK, and I am only using partner airline programs when flying QR.

If Iím merely getting lucky with QR even on very full QR flights, I must be the luckiest person on the planet and you should give me all your savings to play high-stakes poker for your retirement plan. ó says the very unlucky IFE blackjack player

I dislike bulkhead seats in economy, and I am more than happy to never get them on some planes. And as I donít like emergency exit row seats when the arm-rests are of the immovable sort, I am not the biggest fan of emergency row seat assignments unless Iím certain not to get those hip-huggers.
I think it is luck of the draw. Even on pretty empty flights i can end up with someone next to me as OWE. Which usually leads to the head of the cabin making sure I get moved somewhere else. It is not the emergency exit rows, as I tend to forget to ask for those at check in. So it is not a case of me being in a very attractive row that people would always seek out.

Emergency exit rows on a 10 across 777 or 9 across 787 does get quite narrow, so they are indeed not as attractive as all that. Which might be why I tend to forget to ask on QR.

Maybe all your luck is deployed for the seating, and IFE blackjack has none left
Old Nov 17, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
An airline that gives premium customers -- even partner airlines' premium customers -- bad seat selections in economy class is doing those customers a disservice and showing them that they really aren't premium customers in the eyes of the airline management team.
Let's not get the changes blown out of proportions. To my knowledge, the only change is that *G members will no longer be able to pick a seat at booking time. This is no different from what all other *G member has implemented over the last couple of years.

Regarding seat assignment. As I wrote before. The automatic seat assignment on *G flights always assign me a window seat close to the front, but I prefer a seat in the back, both for the view and as my experience is that *G seat blocking in Y doesn't exist and I have a higher chance of empty seat next to me if I pick a seat at the back. The time difference out of the airport or through passport check is often less than 5 min. This is all regarding short haul. Long haul can be a different story, but the real difference in getting through immigration or transfer is whether you land as the first or last of 5 long haul birds.
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Talking

They most certainly check your post count at FT
Old Nov 17, 19, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
They most certainly check your post count at FT
They most certainly canít accurately link that to a real individual on their passenger manifests.

And I suspect that a high post count doesnít do me any favors anywhere.
Old Nov 17, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I think it is luck of the draw. Even on pretty empty flights i can end up with someone next to me as OWE.
Another FTer told me that as OWE he always get upgraded from Y into PE on AY.
Old Nov 17, 19, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Considering that AY does not have premium economy, that's a bit of an overstatement. AY does have comfort seats, which is just standard Y with more leg room. Similar to United Economy Plus, or AA Main Cabin Extra. OWE can indeed pick them for free, but it is not an upgrade as such.
SK2751 and highupinthesky like this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 11:59 pm

There used to be a time when AY would rather frequently ďupgradeĒ OWEs into long-haul business class seats that had economy class service on some routes. But nowadays itís more about getting into Economy Comfort on AY, extra legroom seats in economy which AY does seem to be somewhat better about when it comes to seat assignments for alliance partner elites than SAS.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 18, 19 at 12:06 am

Search this Thread