Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

No longer free seat selection for (non SAS) *G

No longer free seat selection for (non SAS) *G

Old Nov 9, 19, 3:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The soft seat block for high pcv is a feature of altea theorectical seating, so it exists, but if an agent wants to overide it they can. And of course if another pax with an equally high pcv (EBS in M fare vs EBD in O) picks the seat beside you the system won't refuse either.

The no ASR for *G is annoying but since no one really coughs up the ASR charges the pick of seats at checkin still works. Sadly altea and other DCS has a solution for that: I noticed UA, AB and BA still had/have the ASR fee even at checkin and TP and AI only allow you to change for free into the good seats at T-3 or 4h. UA will accomodate you in the better seat if they are full in the back of back seats but only at the gate, last week the checkin agent wanted 65$ from me and showed me the screen that required her to charge me (*G in full Y who got and advance upgrade into F on the way in) and pointed out that there was nothing she could do even at T-90m. The gate agent immediately changed it.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The no ASR for *G is annoying but since no one really coughs up the ASR charges the pick of seats at checkin still works.
Except that the airline's own elites can still pick those seats free of charge, and since there aren't all that many good ones, you're at the back of that queue even if you check in really early.

Sadly altea and other DCS has a solution for that: I noticed UA, AB and BA still had/have the ASR fee even at checkin and TP and AI only allow you to change for free into the good seats at T-3 or 4h. UA will accomodate you in the better seat if they are full in the back of back seats but only at the gate, last week the checkin agent wanted 65$ from me and showed me the screen that required her to charge me (*G in full Y who got and advance upgrade into F on the way in) and pointed out that there was nothing she could do even at T-90m. The gate agent immediately changed it.
EW and KL also don't release good seats for free upon check-in. Never tried to change seats closer to time of flights - don't think that will work. Holding back good seats that way actually really discourages me from flying those airlines.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:58 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is disappointing news. Was planning to switch from EB at some point...
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:25 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
The soft seat block for high pcv is a feature of altea theorectical seating, so it exists, but if an agent wants to overide it they can. And of course if another pax with an equally high pcv (EBS in M fare vs EBD in O) picks the seat beside you the system won't refuse either.

The no ASR for *G is annoying but since no one really coughs up the ASR charges the pick of seats at checkin still works. Sadly altea and other DCS has a solution for that: I noticed UA, AB and BA still had/have the ASR fee even at checkin and TP and AI only allow you to change for free into the good seats at T-3 or 4h. UA will accomodate you in the better seat if they are full in the back of back seats but only at the gate, last week the checkin agent wanted 65$ from me and showed me the screen that required her to charge me (*G in full Y who got and advance upgrade into F on the way in) and pointed out that there was nothing she could do even at T-90m. The gate agent immediately changed it.
BA seats are free for all once OLCI opens, at least in J. AA keeps charging off MCE until the gate agents might need to assign people SQ and TG keep charging for emergency exit rows during OLCI or airport check in. It is not that rare.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:02 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by jetplane86 View Post
We are discussing *G no longer being able to pick seats before check-in. As EBG and above, you have this privilege.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by jetplane86 View Post
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
We are discussing *G no longer being able to pick seats before check-in. As EBG and above, you have this privilege.
You missed the point. It should be "well done SK", that is how you keep people in your FFP.

And from that perspective it seems like not a bad idea.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:37 am

Yeah, good news for SK*Elites. All of the other *A airlines do the same - only free ASR for their own elites.

Bad news for all non-SK*Elites.
Old Nov 9, 19, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Yeah, good news for SK*Elites. All of the other *A airlines do the same - only free ASR for their own elites.

Bad news for all non-SK*Elites.
Bad news for all *Gs whose travel patterns include flying lots of * partner airlinesí flights in economy class too. The reduction of elite benefits in practice ó even soft and inconsistently provided ones ó for alliance partner elites continues to erode the incentive for such customers to choose carriers by global alliance affiliation; rather it is an incentive to become more of a free agent and to confirm or render the global alliance relationship as less and less relevant.
Old Nov 9, 19, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
You missed the point. It should be "well done SK", that is how you keep people in your FFP.

And from that perspective it seems like not a bad idea.
Indeed. But when an airline has to try to plug leaks of its existing customers to partner airline programs by doing such things as this, thatís a sign of the airline and its loyalty program being rather desperate; and it signals cuts ahead for the airlineís own loyalty program (and its customers) too. When UA started doing this kind of stuff, it was the mark of an era of a steep and deep path toward gutting the value of the UA loyalty program for UA elites too.

SASís programís best days for SK*Gs (in the aggregate) even on SKís own flights arenít ahead of it.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
This is a little dissppointing.

Even though I'm not touched by this as EBG I still find this a little dissappointing as it seems that that over the board other *G seem to matter less and less.

Is it really an improvement for EBG or EBD? I never had the issue of not having a decent seat on a SAS flight so far, so the other *G didn't go around stealing our seats anyway so I don't think our benefit improves just because other *G don't have it anymore.

On the topic of seat blocking: Does SAS block seats for EBG in Plus? So far I have never seen the seat next to me blocked when checking with expert flyer... Could be because most of my flights were A fares.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:52 am

I never saw a seat block in SASís long-haul premium economy cabin for any kind of *Gs, unlike with the economy cabin on the very same flights (where there has been some seat-blocking).

In short-haul SASPlus, Iíve given up looking years ago.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
It kind of annoys me that the *G benefits are being reduced all over the alliance. For more than 90% of my flights I don't have the luxury of picking between *A partners. I have to pick between a *A partner and a none *A partner. I would really like to see the *A and FFP's being turned into dual account programs, so you are forced to claim your miles on the airline who operated the flight you are on. All miles you earn should go into both accounts.

Miles expiration should follow the FFP where they are earned.

When you use miles for a *A award flight, they should be deducted from the FFP accounts too, in the order they are earned.

You will still make *G level roughly the same time and probably faster if your claiming on multiple *A FFP's already.
It will be harder to reach the top levels at the FFP's, but your FFP status will now be a true reflection of how much you are using this airline.

I know there will be an issue with some airlines using points, others miles and there are probably a third "currency" too, but I'm sure it will be possible to make a conversion model.
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I never saw a seat block in SASís long-haul premium economy cabin for any kind of *Gs, unlike with the economy cabin on the very same flights (where there has been some seat-blocking).

In short-haul SASPlus, Iíve given up looking years ago.
there is no seat blocking for *G in the PE or J class. Only in economy which seems to work well enough.
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
OK, I was able to assign any (free/non-blocked) seat I wanted on check-in. In a not-so-classy move, SAS also asked me to actively confirm that I did not want to pay for seat assignment for the return flight as part of the check-in process.
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
there is no seat blocking for *G in the PE or J class. Only in economy which seems to work well enough.
Have to disagree, unfortunately. As EBD I often end up with some one (even of no status) in the middle seat, with free seats on other rows.

And just to chime in with seating benefits on OW flights, it's great when booking BA flights less than 24 hours prior to departure and they still have a couple rows in the fronts blocked for elites. In such cases I've even ended up with free middle seats first row of economy. And also great recognition on AA.

The only time my *G gets me further than OWE, is with SDC with UA where you get confirmed changes rather than stand-by on AA (unless on a Y-fare).

Search this Thread