FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   When did SAS get rid of International F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1988765-when-did-sas-get-rid-international-f.html)

EYrevanchist Sep 25, 2019 10:23 am

When did SAS get rid of International F?

I am curious as to when SAS scrapped international F, and what information is out there on the former product.

TPJ Sep 25, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist (Post 31562458)
I am curious as to when SAS scrapped international F, and what information is out there on the former product.

During Carlzon days - so 1980's I think. I recall he said F is the most expensive restaurant in the skies, mostly for airline executives.

RedChili Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the DC-10 was the last plane with first class, and I believe the final DC-10 flights were in 1990.

CPH-Flyer Sep 26, 2019 4:06 am

Removal of F was indeed part of Jan Carlzon"s tearing down the pyramids. Replacing it with Euroclass. Part of his innovations was the moveable curtain separating the classes on short haul, and the flexible cabin use. SK was quite late to the blocked middle seat concept though, that was only in the late 90'ies.

Shorthaul F went away with the corporate rebranding in 83, The Business Man's Airline focused on offering better service to full fare economy class passengers, which was basically turned in to Euro style business class as we know it now.

I don't remember when long haul F went away, but the 767s only ever came with J.

oliver2002 Sep 26, 2019 5:46 am

Looks like 1980:
https://www.sasmuseet.net/fakta-om-sas/

SK989 Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31565273)

It says that First disapperared from the intercontinental network 1989, but honestly I think that is incorrect.

The DC-10 which SAS operated had First and the last route it served was Tokyo via Anchorage. The last operated SAS flight with a DC-10 took place on April 30th 1991, when LN-RKC (Leif Viking) flew Tokyo - Anchorage - Copenhagen.

copperred Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by SK989 (Post 31566295)
It says that First disapperared from the intercontinental network 1989, but honestly I think that is incorrect.

The DC-10 which SAS operated had First and the last route it served was Tokyo via Anchorage. The last operated SAS flight with a DC-10 took place on April 30th 1991, when LN-RKC (Leif Viking) flew Tokyo - Anchorage - Copenhagen.

I seem to recall beefs about this earlier than this, from Asian and American airlines whining about "unfair" competition from SK. First was deader than a dodo much earlier than 1989.

SK989 Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by copperred (Post 31566561)
I seem to recall beefs about this earlier than this, from Asian and American airlines whining about "unfair" competition from SK. First was deader than a dodo much earlier than 1989.

Well I have an old SAS Travel Book (name of SAS printed timetable) from 1990 stating that the route Copenhagen - Lisbon - Sao Paolo was operated with a DC-10 with cabin classes F, C and M. So First was, according to SAS own timetable, live and kicking 1990...

miamiflyer8 Sep 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31565108)
Removal of F was indeed part of Jan Carlzon"s tearing down the pyramids. Replacing it with Euroclass. Part of his innovations was the moveable curtain separating the classes on short haul, and the flexible cabin use. SK was quite late to the blocked middle seat concept though, that was only in the late 90'ies.

Shorthaul F went away with the corporate rebranding in 83, The Business Man's Airline focused on offering better service to full fare economy class passengers, which was basically turned in to Euro style business class as we know it now.

I don't remember when long haul F went away, but the 767s only ever came with J.

Any idea what shorthaul F was like back in the day?

CPH-Flyer Sep 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 31568097)

No personal experience. Bit should have been two rows of 4 seats on the DC9s.

The servings were somewhat more elaborate

AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals

SK989 Sep 27, 2019 12:53 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 31568097)

I've read that SAS offered free cigarettes in F :-)

CPH-Flyer Sep 27, 2019 1:00 am

Originally Posted by SK989 (Post 31568757)
I've read that SAS offered free cigarettes in F :-)

I think that was pretty standard on all airlines back in the day.

FFlash Sep 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SK989 (Post 31566945)
Well I have an old SAS Travel Book (name of SAS printed timetable) from 1990 stating that the route Copenhagen - Lisbon - Sao Paolo was operated with a DC-10 with cabin classes F, C and M. So First was, according to SAS own timetable, live and kicking 1990...

South America is so hard these days from Nordics that tgey should put back that route and F, and I am all in.

CPH-Flyer Sep 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 31579475)
South America is so hard these days from Nordics that tgey should put back that route and F, and I am all in.

You have one stops consisting of one shorthaul and a long haul to most main cities. Try having two long hauls to get to most of the continent. And mainly connecting through the US with all of the hassle that gives. :)