Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New SAS livery to be revealed next week

Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

SAS has apparently officially invited international media for a launch event at the Radisson Royal hotel in Copenhagen next week - the article claims that colour blue will be prevalent and that the SAS name rather than Scandinavian will dominate.. Personally, I am not sure what to expect - it does not sound all great... I hope they do not go the way of some of the rumoured liveries which will take them in the direction of something Finnair-like.

https://check-in.dk/sas-praesenterer...-i-naeste-uge/

(and before certain people will come on here to discuss their dislike of Danish people and how this is just another move towards Danish Airlines, please let's all remember where the age-old "Svensk AltSammen" explanation to the SAS acronym came from So please keep the thread on topic)
highupinthesky and Superrman like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: More than one
Since the Norwegian government don't have any shares in SAS anymore, IMHO, it's fair enough to remove the flags, although being a sentimental old fool, I kind of like the old school livery SK has on a couple of their birds. Much more than he simplified styles like Finnair etc.

Timings wise it's about time. The first A350 either has to have the engines fitted and go into paint soon or is already there.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Since the Norwegian government don't have any shares in SAS anymore, IMHO, it's fair enough to remove the flags, although being a sentimental old fool, I kind of like the old school livery SK has on a couple of their birds. Much more than he simplified styles like Finnair etc.
Completely agree! They should keep it interesting, and to be honest - I think the current livery is actually quite timeless and interesting. The red engines and the subtle fuselage are iconic.
Would hate to see something as boring as the AY livery rubbing off on SAS
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I hope it's nothing like Finnair which I see as an ugly typeface on a white background.

The use of Rotis on Scandinavian adds a bit of style and class and it would be a shame to move away from that. It's still a lot better than many of the white schemes and I don't find it dated at all.
BearX220, lhrpete, SKT-DK and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Det eneste, der er sikkert er, at der vil vre en bl hale med SAS-logoet og bl winglets...
This is vaguely reminiscent of something that I've already seen somewhere, I just can't pin it down...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:58 am

Here's another fan of the current livery. Only criticism is that the engine covlings kept fading from bright red to an orange'ish colour. Suppose now it can go from dark to light blue and still remain within the colour palette.

Think they'd be foolish to remove the NO flag (and images people have seen (if they are correct) still show it. They still generate a significant amount of profit in Norway + have a base so would seem silly just because the government has sold its shares... BA is flying with a version of the Union Jack and the UK government long ceased owning shares in BA and IAG.
lhrpete and SK2751 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Here's another fan of the current livery.
+1

Hope they wont go the LH or AY route.
lhrpete and SK2751 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I beg to differ. I have always found the current livery exceptionally dull and ugly. Please bring in some royal blue, gold and white!
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I saw SE-REH (the new A330) in the current livery at EWR about a month ago.
It looked rather dark compared to the other SAS A330/340s that were next to it.
I liked the look of it. But maybe that was just an optical illusion...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I don't really like the current livery, it is a bit odd. Though the part I do like is the bright red engines.

Looking at the collage of the puzzle pieces from the Facebook video that check-in.dk has, plus the pictures already released of the A350 tail, the blue tail with the SK logo is a fairly given, and not much other colour on the fusalage except very stylised dots for the flag. SK clearly wants to tease cowling colour and what the name at the front fuselage will be.

The kind of Qantas, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, tail and tail end colouring that check-in.dk predicts does not get nicer by being repeated by many airlines.

I would hope that the nose end of the fuselage would get a bigger 3 flag pattern, same concept as the 80ies/90ies livery, just new way of incorporating the flags. Too much to hope I guess.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:18 am

What I like about the current livery is that it's very different from most other airlines. The problem, though, is that the airplanes often look like just dirty, white planes, and sometimes it's really difficult to see the Scandinavian titles. The current livery only works when the light conditions are good.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedChili
What I like about the current livery is that it's very different from most other airlines. The problem, though, is that the airplanes often look like just dirty, white planes, and sometimes it's really difficult to see the Scandinavian titles. The current livery only works when the light conditions are good.
It is certainly different, and that is a good thing. I hope somehow they can still come up with different, though the teaser does not really give much hope.

I thought the reason (at least the long haul planes) look dirty is that they usually are..... I most often see the long haul planes in NRT/HKG/LAX and they do mostly look in dire need of washing.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Oh dear another airline in Eurowhite livery.

BTW the reason why aircraft were painted in white was to make sure you see any defects quickly. The sad side effect is that you see any dirt accumulation rather quickly too.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: More than one
No matter how the livery looks when it's being revealed next week, I'm 100% sure there will be many posts here complaining about how bad it is and maybe a few praising it. Personally I don't really care. I hope it will be something which stand out, without going overboard like some of the US discount airlines. But if it ends up as a LH copy cat or similar, my day isn't ruined.
TPJ and SK2751 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
No matter how the livery looks when it's being revealed next week, I'm 100% sure there will be many posts here complaining about how bad it is and maybe a few praising it. Personally I don't really care. I hope it will be something which stand out, without going overboard like some of the US discount airlines. But if it ends up as a LH copy cat or similar, my day isn't ruined.
I'll survive, and it will not affect my flying patterns. But always a bit sad when a distinct livery becomes a dull one. I don't really like the current AA livery, but they sure do stand out.
TPJ and Dover2Golf like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.