FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   New SAS livery to be revealed next week (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1986549-new-sas-livery-revealed-next-week.html)

SKT-DK Sep 9, 2019 7:19 am

New SAS livery to be revealed next week

SAS has apparently officially invited international media for a launch event at the Radisson Royal hotel in Copenhagen next week - the article claims that colour blue will be prevalent and that the SAS name rather than Scandinavian will dominate.. Personally, I am not sure what to expect - it does not sound all great... I hope they do not go the way of some of the rumoured liveries which will take them in the direction of something Finnair-like.

https://check-in.dk/sas-praesenterer...-i-naeste-uge/

(and before certain people will come on here to discuss their dislike of Danish people and how this is just another move towards Danish Airlines, please let's all remember where the age-old "Svensk AltSammen" explanation to the SAS acronym came from :) So please keep the thread on topic)

highupinthesky Sep 9, 2019 7:46 am

Since the Norwegian government don't have any shares in SAS anymore, IMHO, it's fair enough to remove the flags, although being a sentimental old fool, I kind of like the old school livery SK has on a couple of their birds. Much more than he simplified styles like Finnair etc.

Timings wise it's about time. The first A350 either has to have the engines fitted and go into paint soon or is already there.

SKT-DK Sep 9, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31506372)
Since the Norwegian government don't have any shares in SAS anymore, IMHO, it's fair enough to remove the flags, although being a sentimental old fool, I kind of like the old school livery SK has on a couple of their birds. Much more than he simplified styles like Finnair etc.

Completely agree! They should keep it interesting, and to be honest - I think the current livery is actually quite timeless and interesting. The red engines and the subtle fuselage are iconic.
Would hate to see something as boring as the AY livery rubbing off on SAS :(

Dover2Golf Sep 9, 2019 7:52 am

I hope it's nothing like Finnair which I see as an ugly typeface on a white background.

The use of Rotis on Scandinavian adds a bit of style and class and it would be a shame to move away from that. It's still a lot better than many of the white schemes and I don't find it dated at all.

East_and_West Sep 9, 2019 9:07 am

Det eneste, der er sikkert er, at der vil være en blå hale med SAS-logoet og blå winglets...
This is vaguely reminiscent of something that I've already seen somewhere, I just can't pin it down...

dodgeflyer Sep 9, 2019 9:58 am

Here's another fan of the current livery. Only criticism is that the engine covlings kept fading from bright red to an orange'ish colour. Suppose now it can go from dark to light blue and still remain within the colour palette.

Think they'd be foolish to remove the NO flag (and images people have seen (if they are correct) still show it. They still generate a significant amount of profit in Norway + have a base so would seem silly just because the government has sold its shares... BA is flying with a version of the Union Jack and the UK government long ceased owning shares in BA and IAG.

fassy Sep 9, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 31506901)
Here's another fan of the current livery.

+1

Hope they wont go the LH or AY route.

tsastor Sep 9, 2019 2:15 pm

I beg to differ. I have always found the current livery exceptionally dull and ugly. Please bring in some royal blue, gold and white!

Chiller3333 Sep 9, 2019 4:26 pm

I saw SE-REH (the new A330) in the current livery at EWR about a month ago.
It looked rather dark compared to the other SAS A330/340s that were next to it.
I liked the look of it. But maybe that was just an optical illusion...

CPH-Flyer Sep 9, 2019 10:54 pm

I don't really like the current livery, it is a bit odd. Though the part I do like is the bright red engines.

Looking at the collage of the puzzle pieces from the Facebook video that check-in.dk has, plus the pictures already released of the A350 tail, the blue tail with the SK logo is a fairly given, and not much other colour on the fusalage except very stylised dots for the flag. SK clearly wants to tease cowling colour and what the name at the front fuselage will be.

The kind of Qantas, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, tail and tail end colouring that check-in.dk predicts does not get nicer by being repeated by many airlines.

I would hope that the nose end of the fuselage would get a bigger 3 flag pattern, same concept as the 80ies/90ies livery, just new way of incorporating the flags. Too much to hope I guess.

RedChili Sep 10, 2019 1:18 am

What I like about the current livery is that it's very different from most other airlines. The problem, though, is that the airplanes often look like just dirty, white planes, and sometimes it's really difficult to see the Scandinavian titles. The current livery only works when the light conditions are good.

CPH-Flyer Sep 10, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by RedChili (Post 31509170)
What I like about the current livery is that it's very different from most other airlines. The problem, though, is that the airplanes often look like just dirty, white planes, and sometimes it's really difficult to see the Scandinavian titles. The current livery only works when the light conditions are good.

It is certainly different, and that is a good thing. I hope somehow they can still come up with different, though the teaser does not really give much hope.

I thought the reason (at least the long haul planes) look dirty is that they usually are..... I most often see the long haul planes in NRT/HKG/LAX and they do mostly look in dire need of washing.

oliver2002 Sep 10, 2019 7:52 am

Oh dear another airline in Eurowhite livery.

BTW the reason why aircraft were painted in white was to make sure you see any defects quickly. The sad side effect is that you see any dirt accumulation rather quickly too.

highupinthesky Sep 10, 2019 11:57 am

No matter how the livery looks when it's being revealed next week, I'm 100% sure there will be many posts here complaining about how bad it is and maybe a few praising it. Personally I don't really care. I hope it will be something which stand out, without going overboard like some of the US discount airlines. But if it ends up as a LH copy cat or similar, my day isn't ruined.

CPH-Flyer Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31510949)
No matter how the livery looks when it's being revealed next week, I'm 100% sure there will be many posts here complaining about how bad it is and maybe a few praising it. Personally I don't really care. I hope it will be something which stand out, without going overboard like some of the US discount airlines. But if it ends up as a LH copy cat or similar, my day isn't ruined.

I'll survive, and it will not affect my flying patterns. But always a bit sad when a distinct livery becomes a dull one. I don't really like the current AA livery, but they sure do stand out.

JR67 Sep 11, 2019 12:53 pm

So... It looks like the livery will be very close to LH. Anyone else smelling conspiracy in the air? SK paints their fleet in accordance with LH-group's livery. More convenient for the takeover. Otherwise, why the HELL would SK repaint their fleet when they are already experiencing tough economic times. I realize that Gustafsson is an idiot, but this has absolutely no logical reason.

fassy Sep 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31514811)
So... It looks like the livery will be very close to LH. Anyone else smelling conspiracy in the air? SK paints their fleet in accordance with LH-group's livery. More convenient for the takeover. Otherwise, why the HELL would SK repaint their fleet when they are already experiencing tough economic times. I realize that Gustafsson is an idiot, but this has absolutely no logical reason.

LH doesn’t care zip about the livery of airlines they taken over. Just look at German/Eurowings, OS, LX and SN? Nothing close to LHs livery.

And branding is a very important marketing tool. So I can see a company invest on branding. Of course they won’t take in all birds and repaint them. Just one at a time when they are up for a respray anyway.

Chiller3333 Sep 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 31515176)
And branding is a very important marketing tool. So I can see a company invest on branding. Of course they won’t take in all birds and repaint them. Just one at a time when they are up for a respray anyway.

Exactly, the cost of changing the livery shouldn't be that high.
It's mostly whatever SAS will end up paying the design team (assuming the cost of painting a given plane in the new vs. the old livery doesn't change).
They obviously won't repaint the planes immediately but follow the current schedule.
Whenever one of the planes is scheduled to be painted it'll just be in the new rather than the old livery.

miamiflyer8 Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm

I just wish they get rid of the hideous orange on the engines.

Kamalaasaa Sep 11, 2019 8:09 pm

I can’t believe Danish doesn’t have a word for livery!

oliver2002 Sep 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Speculation by flyprat.no

SKT-DK Sep 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31516323)

I sincerely hope it will be nothing like this - ghastly!

RedChili Sep 12, 2019 1:15 am

"Hope Airbus has enough blue paint" ... a strange thing to write if it's only the tail which is blue. If this image turns out to be the real thing, it would be better to write: "Hope Airbus has enough gray paint."

JR67 Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am

LH doesn’t care zip about the livery of airlines they taken over. Just look at German/Eurowings, OS, LX and SN? Nothing close to LHs livery.

I was being a little tongue in cheek about the LH look.

I know branding is important, and that changing your look can create buzz. But there is no point in creating buzz unless you have something else worth buzzing about. Is SK going to announce something new? If not, this is a waste of money, IMHO. Better to focus on improving service in Y. Neat new colours don't help when pax are paying LH prices for DY service levels. Save money on paint and buy a round for the poor guys stuck in SK Y.

highupinthesky Sep 12, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31514811)
So... It looks like the livery will be very close to LH. Anyone else smelling conspiracy in the air? SK paints their fleet in accordance with LH-group's livery. More convenient for the takeover. Otherwise, why the HELL would SK repaint their fleet when they are already experiencing tough economic times.

Since LH recently ditched SK as ground handling in CPH and there has been a discontinue of a number of code shares between SK and LH, I strongly doubt they are moving towards merger or takeover.

copperred Sep 13, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31508942)
I don't really like the current livery, it is a bit odd. Though the part I do like is the bright red engines.

Looking at the collage of the puzzle pieces from the Facebook video that check-in.dk has, plus the pictures already released of the A350 tail, the blue tail with the SK logo is a fairly given, and not much other colour on the fusalage except very stylised dots for the flag. SK clearly wants to tease cowling colour and what the name at the front fuselage will be.

The kind of Qantas, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, tail and tail end colouring that check-in.dk predicts does not get nicer by being repeated by many airlines.

I would hope that the nose end of the fuselage would get a bigger 3 flag pattern, same concept as the 80ies/90ies livery, just new way of incorporating the flags. Too much to hope I guess.

I generally concur. The grey just looks like you are pretending you can get away with a dirty aircraft and the holy bright orange resembles nothing that says Scandinavia except maybe mornings, which are not particularly Scandinavian.

Whether the Norwegian government is an owner or not doesn't matter. The heritage is there, the staffing is there, and the services to Norway are there.

copperred Sep 13, 2019 10:48 am

I mean it does, but it cares more about the political maneuvering and image of those that made it possible. The Swiss would never have allowed LH to turn Swiss into another off brand subcontracted people mover with hideous German interpretation of Swiss's signature appearance. OS and LX are beasts of their countries of origin, they were never going to be folded into the main airline, it was always a political impossibility. It has also worked out to LH's favor given the ability to leverage long standing brand/brand association with LX and networks, as well as labor agreements different than LH's own. OS had and has pursued more marginal or more off the beaten path destinations than LH (which can sometimes be mistaken for a bus to Disney World given its passengers) as well as more extensive services to Africa and the Middle East, courtesy of LX and SN.

Eurowings is an LCC in many ways and would water down/impact negative (which apparently is possible) LH's main brand.

It's about market segmentation, or why many vehicle manufacturers contain several different brands and models.

ch.boed Sep 19, 2019 3:53 am

It is here!
https://www.flysas.com/en/newfleet/

Overall, not bad! The rumors were pretty much right. I hope the engine is as "Silver-metallic" as they say it is. Great with "Scandinavian" on the belly.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b1edd8f9a1.jpg

Tango Alpha Sep 19, 2019 4:22 am

Well, could be worse. But also better... I miss the red engines - symbolising fire and power - even in the salt and pebber bags. But it have been copied by several others.

bombayhog Sep 19, 2019 4:35 am

So what do we think? Love, hate or meh?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabriel...brand-new-look

nldogbert Sep 19, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by bombayhog (Post 31541217)
So what do we think? Love, hate or meh?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabriel...brand-new-look

Not too bad, as long as it did not go Euro white. I would have preferred if they kept the word Scandinavian on the fuselage rather than moving it to the engine - as I don't believe every one knows what SAS is from.

Cheers!

Nick Art Sep 19, 2019 5:52 am

Meh, not really a fan of the new livery.
Specifically the huge silver SAS on the fuselage just seems weird. And obviously the lack of red engines... , but them being silver now is not too bad.

The old livery was weird and odd but in a likeable way because it was our weird and odd livery.

miamiflyer8 Sep 19, 2019 6:03 am

What a pathetic livery, same thing that LH did copying QF with the tail and fuselage painted in the same color.

fassy Sep 19, 2019 6:30 am

Well, could have been worse but I really miss the orange/red engine cowlings. And I will never forgive LH to get rid of the yellow!

JR67 Sep 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 31541480)
I really miss the orange/red engine cowlings.

+100000

marcoos Sep 19, 2019 3:18 pm

The huge SAS wordmark appearing twice on the fuselage looks bad.

Some other airlines don't make this mistake since they have both a wordmark and a proper logo (LOT and Lufthansa - a crane, United - the ex-Continental globe, etc). But when all you have is the wordmark, you should think of a different design. This is why the old setup looked well - "Scandinavian Airlines" above the windows, SAS wordmark on the tail.

CPH-Flyer Sep 19, 2019 3:48 pm

It could be worse, actually it might even be OK. I do wish they had been a bit more original though.

Oversized letters with the airline name from Finnair
Tail colour pattern from Qantas
Name of airline under the belly from Emirates

The kept the Scandinavian decals on the engines.

I'd still say more distinct flags would be good, but tricky to do nicely I guess.

oliver2002 Sep 19, 2019 8:38 pm

The big silver SAS and the strange blue ring on the engine is puzzling. Oh well. Let's see how it looks on an A320. I doubt they will repaint to existing fleet.

CPH-Flyer Sep 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31543942)
The big silver SAS and the strange blue ring on the engine is puzzling. Oh well. Let's see how it looks on an A320. I doubt they will repaint to existing fleet.

I guess they'll repaint to the extend that the planes are up for repaint anyway. The A320CEO will be around for a while still, they may need a bit of a makeover along the way.

highupinthesky Sep 20, 2019 3:59 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31543942)

I think the statement is all birds will be repainted by 2024, and it will happen when they are do a repaint anyway.