Hand bag or laptop bag weight

Old Aug 21, 19, 7:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 49
Hand bag or laptop bag weight

According to SAS wesite, https://www.flysas.com/en/travel-info/baggage/carry-on/, does it mean that the maximum weight is also 8kg?
  • Maximum weight of 8 kg per item.
  • Maximum size of any piece of carry-on bag: 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm (length x width x depth).
  • Maximum size of any hand bag or laptop: 40 cm x 30 cm x 15 cm (length x width x depth).
So, I can carry both bags up to 16kg?

Thank you!
thanaset is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 7:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Posts: 1,063
It means that each bag may weight up to 8Kg. It gives up to 16Kg in total for 2 bags as long as none of them are above 8Kg when checked individually
thanaset and Daner like this.
highupinthesky is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:49 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,266
Thatís right. But except at LHR, I canít recall the last time SAS has weighed my cabin baggage when Iíve gone direct to the gate (without needing to check-in with SAS check-in staff landside).
thanaset likes this.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: *G
Posts: 395
Sunday in MUC the gate agents were weighing a couple carry ons. 2 that I saw were checked - 1 business passenger, with a bag just over 16 kg, another one that was just slightly oversized from status pax. They were asking a third person to go get his measured, but he got away thanks to his diamond status.

Sitting in the plane, watching the non-status economy passengers arrive, it seemed they didn't bother to check their carry on luggage, as many people baorded with multiple items larger than permitted...
thanaset likes this.
studentCPH is online now  
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:08 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Munich
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by studentCPH View Post
Sunday in MUC the gate agents were weighing a couple carry ons. 2 that I saw were checked - 1 business passenger, with a bag just over 16 kg, another one that was just slightly oversized from status pax. They were asking a third person to go get his measured, but he got away thanks to his diamond status.

Sitting in the plane, watching the non-status economy passengers arrive, it seemed they didn't bother to check their carry on luggage, as many people baorded with multiple items larger than permitted...
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences!

I will be flying out from MUC and stopover at OSL and on the way back at CPH!
thanaset is offline  
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:13 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,553
Originally Posted by studentCPH View Post
Sunday in MUC the gate agents were weighing a couple carry ons. 2 that I saw were checked - 1 business passenger, with a bag just over 16 kg, another one that was just slightly oversized from status pax. They were asking a third person to go get his measured, but he got away thanks to his diamond status.

Sitting in the plane, watching the non-status economy passengers arrive, it seemed they didn't bother to check their carry on luggage, as many people baorded with multiple items larger than permitted...
Which is so absurd, either the full group, or towards the end when you know that space is gone. But don't start, and then stop 1/3 into boarding. They will really get the tempers boiling in the first unlucky few.

And no, Diamond is not a valid excuse to get away with too much carry on.
thanaset and SK2751 like this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:42 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: *G
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by thanaset View Post
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences!

I will be flying out from MUC and stopover at OSL and on the way back at CPH!
It was the first time I experienced it in MUC (out of ~10 the last year)

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Which is so absurd, either the full group, or towards the end when you know that space is gone. But don't start, and then stop 1/3 into boarding. They will really get the tempers boiling in the first unlucky few.

And no, Diamond is not a valid excuse to get away with too much carry on.
I completely agree with the first part.
As for the second part I agree with "too much", but I'd like to see some common sense applied. 10 kg instead of 8 is really not going to make a difference, and the same if a carry on suitcase is a couple centimeters to deep. I've had to carry some oddly shaped items on many flights, which by the rules shouldn't be allowed. When the item takes up less space in the overhead than an allowed item and I put a bagpack under the seat in front I really don't see the issue, except it being hard to enforce me doing the latter.

Which reminds me, it really pisses me off, when airlines will force you to put anything but suitcases under the seat in front of you. So because you bring less carry on, you get less leg space. But I'm moving off topic, sorry!
thanaset and SK2751 like this.
studentCPH is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread