New destination: SCR

Old Aug 12, 19, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
New destination: SCR

Interesting new leisure route if you are living near CPH, AAL or LHR: SCR (OK, I didn’t know that airport/airport code: It is Scandinavian Mountains Airport).

Any idea why not from Swedish airports? Have other carriers plans for SCR?

https://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-introduces-direct-services-to-the-new-airport-in-salen-trysil/

​​​​​​​
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
BRA have already announced routes from Bromma, Ängelholm, Malmø, Gothenburg and Växjö
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31347768-post5019.html

I posted this last month:

”Sweden’s newest airport for scheduled flights is to open later this year, and it’s IATA airport code is to be SCR. It’s going to have no physical air traffic control tower and will have some kind of virtual one.

“Amongst serving other passengers, it’s going to be serving SkiStar customers wanting to ski at Salen in Sweden and/or at Trysil in Norway. BRA is to launch service there from a few cities around Sweden starting in late December and January. Will SAS or Norwegian get in on the action?”

SAS has answered part of my question.
Tango Alpha likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
Interesting new leisure route if you are living near CPH, AAL or LHR: SCR (OK, I didn’t know that airport/airport code: It is Scandinavian Mountains Airport).

Any idea why not from Swedish airports? Have other carriers plans for SCR?

https://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-intr...-salen-trysil/
Before this year, SCR becoming this airport’s IATA airport code was on the table but it may have not been finalized. OTA booking sites still may not pull up SCR. Maybe with SAS now in on the action that may change sooner than would otherwise have taken place.

If the timing of the CPH/LHR-SCR and SCR-CPH/LHR flights are good for TATL connections on Star Alliance carriers, some people I know are going to see their ski-related bills come down finally.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:33 am

Do we know which LHR slot will be used for this route? Presumably another Scandinavian destination will have its Saturday frequency reduced from 28th Dec?
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobchr View Post
Do we know which LHR slot will be used for this route? Presumably another Scandinavian destination will have its Saturday frequency reduced from 28th Dec?
Dep. LHR 6.40 on Saturdays. Returning 12.50. If that is of any help.

BTW
The Sunday-rotation is CPH-SCR-AAL-SCR-CPH with first departure at 7.55 and return at CPH at 15.25.
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:02 am

BTW
The Sunday-rotation is CPH-SCR-AAL-SCR-CPH with first departure at 7.55 and return at CPH at 15.25.
Thanks for that info.

The schedule doesn’t work well for my TATL connections and it seems aimed at point-to-point service more than connecting traffic.
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The schedule doesn’t work well for my TATL connections and it seems aimed at point-to-point service more than connecting traffic.
Sadly a lot of the domestic schedule to ARN sucks for connections. I rarely can use AGH or even MMX to get to my usual destinations.
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:28 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Sadly a lot of the domestic schedule to ARN sucks for connections. I rarely can use AGH or even MMX to get to my usual destinations.
For flights connecting through ORD (or flights to Chicago) I find MMX both better than CPH and usually considerably cheaper. MMX-ARN-ORD gets you to Chicago around noon, which gives plenty of good connections to anywhere west. CPH-ORD is comfortably direct, but the late depature means that you are landing somewhere north of 10PM if you need a connection. My last trip to AUS had me eating a great steak dinner and comfortably tucked in at the hotel before the connecting flight CPH-ORD-AUS would have landed.

(Sorry for the deviation off-topic)
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
SAS seems to want us to take the train more than we fly. That, or take BRA, or take additional connecting SAS flights with an even earlier start to the day.

Unlike with Åre — which does at times fill up with lots of Danes, often more for cross-country skiing than even downhill skiing — taking the train to ski in Salen doesn’t really work. So I was really hoping SAS would have a schedule in and out of SCR that worked better for long-haul travel. What many people don’t realize is how much more affordable it is to go skiing in Sweden than it is to go skiing at comparably decent ski resort areas in the US. And with TATL winter airfare being pretty cheap in recent years — often cheaper in economy class than it costs for my East Coast/Midwest-Colorado/Utah flights during ski season — the issue becomes more about a willingness to put up with the red-eye flight discomfort and longer flight times than other things for those with passports.
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Unlike with Åre — which does at times fill up with lots of Danes, often more for cross-country skiing than even downhill skiing — taking the train to ski in Salen doesn’t really work.
Well, on paper the twice weekly night train from/to Malmö seems ok. Some of my friends will use that for our upcoming cross-country holiday in Åre.

I will fly to/from TRD (from CPH), which is faster and cheaper than OSD (and avoiding the hazzle of terminal transfer at ARN).
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:07 am

Well, on paper the twice weekly night train from/to Malmö seems ok. Some of my friends will use that for our upcoming cross-country holiday in Åre.

I will fly to/from TRD (from CPH), which is faster and cheaper than OSD (and avoiding the hazzle of terminal transfer at ARN).
Unlike with Åre, Salen doesn’t work so well with the train. The SJ and Veolia/Snalltaget trains go right to Åre C and I’ve taken them a bunch of times to/from Åre. Can’t do that with Salen.

The night trains to Åre work fine on and off paper. The night trains to Åre are one of my staples for a few ski trips each year.

For Salen, the closest a train gets me to there on the Swedish side of the mountains: nearly 2 hours away by road, in Mora. And one of the few times where I’ve taken that drive, I’ve been stuck in “traffic” on the road for nearly two hours due to a disabled vehicle or two. So that was an exceptional nearly four hours of sitting on a bus.

I prefer a train or flight to having a 1+ hour bus trip on top of a train or flight. And so unless I’m late for the night trains to Åre, I try not to fly to OSD for my Åre ski trips.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 19 at 6:25 am
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:39 am

BTW
thank you Tango Alpha. At LHR that’s the current timing of the ARN rotation SK1530/531.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:11 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Just out of curiosity... Why does anyone ski in Sweden? The runs are crap. The weather is crap. The prices are way higher than Austria, The food sucks,

I live in Malmö and happily drive to Austria to avoid the pain of being in the Swedish "mountains"....
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by JR67 View Post
Just out of curiosity... Why does anyone ski in Sweden? The runs are crap. The weather is crap. The prices are way higher than Austria, The food sucks,

I live in Malmö and happily drive to Austria to avoid the pain of being in the Swedish "mountains"....
Agree 100%!

Search this Thread