FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Lounge access with purchased upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1981518-lounge-access-purchased-upgrade.html)

DanishFlyer Aug 4, 2019 4:38 am

Lounge access with purchased upgrade?

I am flying IAD-CPH tomorrow, and my upgrade bid (my first ever) was accepted. Upgraded from economy to business for 37005 points.

The email says I have access to SAS lounges, but there are none at IAD. Normally for business ticket, I believe Star Alliance lounges are available. What about the upgraded ticket?

Thanks,
Danishflyer

studentCPH Aug 4, 2019 5:07 am

Yep, your boarding pass will say Class C or similar, and you will get most business class benefits including lounge access. Luggage allowance is based on the original ticket.

DanishFlyer Aug 4, 2019 5:25 am

Thank you - I am eb silver, so already have two checked bags on my ticket.

- Danishflyer

Chiller3333 Aug 4, 2019 7:31 am

If the booking class is "I", you won't get into United Polaris lounges since those require paid business class tickets.
But since there isn't such a lounge at Washington, you'll be fine.
​​​​​​You'll be able to get into the United Club and other Star Alliance Lounges no problem.

EDIT: I cannot find this information anymore so I'm probably wrong and confused it with the Air Canada Signature Room.

studentCPH Aug 4, 2019 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 (Post 31377422)
If the booking class is "I", you won't get into United Polaris lounges since those require paid business class tickets.
​​​​​​You'll be able to get into the United Club and other Star Alliance Lounges no problem.

Err, where do you have this information from? "I" is used for regular business class awards, as well as *A upgrades to business both of which should give you access to Polaris lounges.
But Plusgrade to business gets you into "Z" on SAS.

Chiller3333 Aug 4, 2019 10:52 am

I've read in various places that Polaris access is only available with revenue tickets and not award (and iirc upgrades as well).
I also remember reading it on United's site but I cannot find it anymore.
So either I'm wrong or it was changed in the meantime.

EDIT: Since I cannot find it anymore I'll go with "I'm wrong". Sorry!

Originally Posted by studentCPH (Post 31378011)
But Plusgrade to business gets you into "Z" on SAS.

I know that that's what happens when bidding with cash, is it the same when using miles?

highupinthesky Aug 4, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 (Post 31378110)
I've read in various places that Polaris access is only available with revenue tickets and not award (and iirc upgrades as well).
I also remember reading it on United's site but I cannot find it anymore.

I remember seeing something similar, but I think the restriction were only for pax trying to access using UA loyalty program or flying on UA metal. And I think I saw it on the *A lounge access policy site.

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 (Post 31378110)
I know that that's what happens when bidding with cash, is it the same when using miles?

As far as I know the only limitation on the points bids is the amount of points you earn. The rest should be the same.

ksu Aug 4, 2019 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chiller3333 (Post 31377422)

EDIT: I cannot find this information anymore so I'm probably wrong and confused it with the Air Canada Signature Room.

You have to have an international *A business (or first) same day boarding pass (or arrive on UA international business with onward UA flight) to enter a Polaris lounge. Cards alone won't get you in. But I class gets access. I got access in October on LH C at ORD with bonus tickets booked in I class.

oliver2002 Aug 5, 2019 2:26 am

In IAD (any anywhere else) LH and TK will allow you into their lounges with a SAS business class boarding pass. United will too, but in IAD their facilities are impractically far away from the gates that SAS uses.

DanishFlyer Aug 5, 2019 12:54 pm

Check-in agent said LH lounge only, and no fast track.

But I am looking forward to the flight. Having been at camp (world scout jamboree) for two weeks, I need the sleep :-)

Danishflyer

studentCPH Aug 5, 2019 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer (Post 31382298)
Check-in agent said LH lounge only, and no fast track.

But I am looking forward to the flight. Having been at camp (world scout jamboree) for two weeks, I need the sleep :-)

Danishflyer

Either unknowing or lieing agent unfortunately. Haven't been departed from IAD in many years myself so not exactly sure of the location, but the star alliance website confirms there is a "gold track" which business a long with *G does get access to. And with business you'd have access to LH Business, TK lounge (& united club which would be a waste of time as it's far away and a worse lougne).

JR67 Aug 7, 2019 7:16 am

Originally Posted by studentCPH (Post 31382535)
Either unknowing or lieing agent unfortunately. Haven't been departed from IAD in many years myself so not exactly sure of the location, but the star alliance website confirms there is a "gold track" which business a long with *G does get access to. And with business you'd have access to LH Business, TK lounge (& united club which would be a waste of time as it's far away and a worse lougne).

Upgraded tickets get you fast track at IAD. It is only half fast track, however - it gets you up to document control faster, but from there you are in the regular line. But I have never had to wait more than a few minutes for screening at IAD (unlike the arrival nightmare at the same airport). Lounge access is LH biz and TK, just as mentioned. Is there a United Club in the international terminal? Have to say I have never even contemplated looking for it...

highupinthesky Aug 7, 2019 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31389297)
Upgraded tickets get you fast track at IAD. It is only half fast track, however - it gets you up to document control faster, but from there you are in the regular line.

Isn't that the same in almost any other airports in US? At least that's how I recall it last I passed through DTW, ORD, MIA and SFO.

JR67 Aug 7, 2019 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31390517)
Isn't that the same in almost any other airports in US? At least that's how I recall it last I passed through DTW, ORD, MIA and SFO.

Yes, everywhere I have been too. Just clarifying that it isn't like Europe where you have a dedicated line all the way in most places. Sometimes, of course, this isn't the best option, like ARN T4 between 16:00 and 18:00 weekdays when everyone has status and uses fast track - my experience is that the regular security line is faster most of the time then.

DanishFlyer Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JR67 (Post 31389297)
Upgraded tickets get you fast track at IAD. It is only half fast track, however - it gets you up to document control faster, but from there you are in the regular line. But I have never had to wait more than a few minutes for screening at IAD (unlike the arrival nightmare at the same airport). Lounge access is LH biz and TK, just as mentioned. Is there a United Club in the international terminal? Have to say I have never even contemplated looking for it...

Well, I never saw a fast track lane. However, I have never waited more than a couple of minutes for document check at IAD. The line for screening though is routinely 30+ minutes (and so it was on Monday when I was there). Never mind, I still had some time in the LH lounge and a very nice flight (although I now know that I still only get about 2,5 hours sleep IAD-CPH regardless of how I travel ...).

- DanishFlyer