Best course of action?

Old Jul 25, 19, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Best course of action?

Hello,

I recently purchased a ticket from Vilnius, Lithuania to Newark in New York and the flight there consists of a total of 2 layovers. 1 between Stockholm and Oslo and another between Oslo and Newark.
I just found out that the layover to Newark is only 45 minutes long and it seems like there is no way I'll be able to make it in time for the flight. If that happens, would I be allowed to board the next plane or would the flight get cancelled outright?
What should I do in this situation?
Old Jul 25, 19, 11:36 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Albiuxas View Post
I just found out that the layover to Newark is only 45 minutes long and it seems like there is no way I'll be able to make it in time for the flight. If that happens, would I be allowed to board the next plane or would the flight get cancelled outright?
What should I do in this situation?
Your assumption is just wrong.

Since 45min is within the MCT for that connection, you are going to make it according to the airport, if the incoming plane is on time. So the "no way I'll be able to make it" idea is incorrect.

If you don't make it because of some bigger delay, then SK will move you on another flight.
Old Jul 25, 19, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

From the official SAS website
  • Check-in/baggage drop closes 40 minutes before departure.
  • Boarding closes 35 minutes before departure.
This is what got me worried, because I'd only have 5 minutes to check-in, even though I could do it through the app, and then a few more minutes to board. However, I'd have to get through security since it is a flight from Europe to USA and everyone so far told me that, that can take a while
Old Jul 25, 19, 11:56 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Are you flying this route on two separate tickets? If yes, then better fly hand luggage only (it will be really tight), if it is on a single ticket then there is nothing to worry about. You check-in your luggage in Vilnius and it will be checked through all the way to New York and you will receive it there.
nancypants and SK2751 like this.
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:18 am
Original Poster

It will be hand luggage only, yeah. And I think I am flying with one ticket, I have never flown before. I was sent a single sheet via email that lists 5 flights, 3 to Newark and 2 back to Vilnius on their respective dates.

So if I got this right, it is possible to make it in time, albeit it would be very tight, and if security holds me too long, I'd just be given a different flight?
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:52 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
This is a Schengen-Non-Schengen connection. There usually will be no extra airport security arriving from ARN, but you will have to go through passport control which might add some minutes (which is included in the MCT (minimum connection time)). The extra US security will be done at the gate. As this is within MCT there are no risks for not getting there if you are on one ticket. SAS is responsible to get you rerouthere, and they know that you are in the airport. If you miss your connection, you will be rerouted at no cost to you, either through CPH on a day when the late CPH-EWR is scheduled, or on another *A carrier. You might end up at JFK, though. Worst case, you'll be put up in a hotel, and sent the next date.

This only applies on through tickets. I would never risk this on two separate tickets.
Old Jul 26, 19, 1:47 am

If it's on a single ticket Vilnius-Stockholm-Oslo-Newark, you can even check baggage, and it's no problem at all.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:23 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
From the official SAS website
  • Check-in/baggage drop closes 40 minutes before departure.
  • Boarding closes 35 minutes before departure.
This is what got me worried, because I'd only have 5 minutes to check-in, even though I could do it through the app, and then a few more minutes to board. However, I'd have to get through security since it is a flight from Europe to USA and everyone so far told me that, that can take a while
You will not need to check in at Oslo, you will get your boarding pass in Vilnius (provided your connection in Stockholm is same day, otherwise you will get it in Stockholm) luggage will be checked through.

45 minutes is a quite normal connection time on Oslo. Provided you have the flights on the same ticket.
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:36 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
It will be hand luggage only, yeah. And I think I am flying with one ticket, I have never flown before. I was sent a single sheet via email that lists 5 flights, 3 to Newark and 2 back to Vilnius on their respective dates.

So if I got this right, it is possible to make it in time, albeit it would be very tight, and if security holds me too long, I'd just be given a different flight?
Don't worry. When you check in at VNO (Vilnius) you will get boarding cards for all the flights to US. So no need to check-in at ARN (Stockholm) and OSL (Oslo)
If you have checked luggage you can check that in at VNO, and the airline will move it from one flight to the next for you. You won't see your checked luggage between check-in in VNO and pickup in EWR (New York).
In ARN the transfer between the flight from VNO and OSL is in the same terminal. You won't have to leave the terminal, go through security, passport check etc. Just relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Depending on the arrival gate and departure gate the walk distance is max 15 min.
In OSL it's almost the same. Only difference is you have to go through the passport check. Just be aware that the area after the passport is kind of dull, but with just 45 min. connection I would just go straight for the US flight. Depending on the arrival gate it's max 15 min. walk + 5-10 min. for the passport check, so plenty of time unless you want to do a lot of shopping.

Search this Thread