Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Help for choosing connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Need some suggestion from experienced flyers.

Booked a reward ticket to PVG with SK997 departing at 18:40 next year which need reposition myself from LHR to CPH. I have two choices now, one is reward ticket with BA or cash ticket with SAS. Both flights are leaving around 10am, no problem for connection if first leg is on time.

My questions are:
If book with SAS, will they let me check my bag through PVG from LHR even on separate tickets?
Will book SAS give me better cover than BA if I miss my second flight due to delay? This is the first time reposition and there is always risk.

Thanks for any helpful suggestion.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
If you are booked on two separate tickets you don't have any protection in case of delays. There might though be some understanding from SK side in case you hold high status with SAS and you miss your connection due to a delayed or canceled flight. In such case I would proactively consult their customer service once a delay is announced.
To check through the luggage SK-SK should be no problem despite LHR is an outstation and there is no obligation for SK to provide this service. Again, status or a plus ticket will help here.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by DonnyJohn
..... no problem for connection if first leg is on time.
This part makes me worried, make sure to have plenty of time to cope with issues.

I would absolutely also go with SAS, buy plus (maybe 250 DKK more than if you need to buy SAS go + luggage) and check luggage through.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: More than one
You can call the TA who you used for the CPH-PVG booking and have them add the LHR-CPH leg. If you used the SK website for the booking you can call the SK servicedesk. Adding the leg to the current ticket should be free of charge as the price is EU-Asia which included all connection flights.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

CPH-PVG was biz class booked with Eurobonus. I could book the LHR-PVG with same points but difference of tax was about £250.

Connection time would be around 6 hours at CPH.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:23 am

Thanks for all the replies.

CPH-PVG was biz class booked with Eurobonus. I could book the LHR-PVG with same points but difference of tax was about £250.

Connection time would be around 6 hours at CPH.
Have you call SK and gotten this verified? Additional £250 in taxes for LHR-CPH sounds wrong. Last year I had a first class *A award flight to Australia with a 1 week stop over in Japan. In total 8 legs, where the first were CPH-LHR. Total taxes were around £500
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Have you call SK and gotten this verified? Additional £250 in taxes for LHR-CPH sounds wrong. Last year I had a first class *A award flight to Australia with a 1 week stop over in Japan. In total 8 legs, where the first were CPH-LHR. Total taxes were around £500
Yes, just rechecked the difference was around £200 and it's mainly the APD departing from UK.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I would take the early SAS flight.
Checking your luggage through to PVG shouldn't be a problem (SAS even checked it through for a friend of mine on EWR-OSL-WAW where the second leg was in LOT and both flights on separate tickets).
6 hours in CPH is plenty.
In June I flew FRA-CPH-EWR and was supposed to have 1h 40m but due to a massive delay I was left with less than 20m.
I still made it (was the last to board) and the second flight wasn't even delayed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:33 am

Yes, just rechecked the difference was around £200 and it's mainly the APD departing from UK.
Strange. The taxes should be the same whether you fly on an award ticket or revenue ticket.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Strange. The taxes should be the same whether you fly on an award ticket or revenue ticket.
Sorry, i may not be clear with that. It's comparing tax between LHR-PVG and CPH-PVG.

LHR-PVG cost 60000 + £210
CPH-PVG cost 60000 + £15

That's why I choose to buy revenue ticket between LHR-CPH
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:18 am

LHR-PVG is that LHR-CPH-PVG or LHR-PVG direct? If it's the first, the taxes on the revenue ticket should be £195 too, which is unbelievable high IMHO
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
LHR-PVG is that LHR-CPH-PVG or LHR-PVG direct? If it's the first, the taxes on the revenue ticket should be £195 too, which is unbelievable high IMHO
If you break the ticket in two, and potentially take LHR to CPH in Y, you can get around a lot of the distance based UK envy tax. There is a quite high fee for flying long haul out of the UK in premium classes. But I guess the UK coffers has to be filled in some way.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:58 pm

UK applies ADP for all flights leaving the uk whether award or revenue. It doesn’t matter whether the flight is direct or one stop as it is based on bands. C and F is higher than Y and applies either long haul or short.

As OP has realised you get around this by booking two tickets, however given the need to book a flight to CPH, the total difference may not be that great and the savings may be outweighed by other issues (misconnect etc).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry, i may not be clear with that. It's comparing tax between LHR-PVG and CPH-PVG.

LHR-PVG cost 60000 + £210
CPH-PVG cost 60000 + £15

That's why I choose to buy revenue ticket between LHR-CPH
To me there is absolutely no question about what I would do, book the flight from LHR-PVG. That way you have one ticket and a connection with protection. Originating from CPH and buying a revenue ticket LHR-CPH is false economy. In this scenario you don't have a connection, you have two separate flights. If the positioning flight is very late or cancelled, your long haul trip vanishes and you have no claim against SK to get you anywhere. You simply didn't show up for your flight and your ticket auto-cancelled. In a single ticket scenario your luggage is also checked at LHR to PVG.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS Diamond and LTG, Marriott Titanium and LT Plat, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
To me there is absolutely no question about what I would do, book the flight from LHR-PVG. That way you have one ticket and a connection with protection. Originating from CPH and buying a revenue ticket LHR-CPH is false economy. In this scenario you don't have a connection, you have two separate flights. If the positioning flight is very late or cancelled, your long haul trip vanishes and you have no claim against SK to get you anywhere. You simply didn't show up for your flight and your ticket auto-cancelled. In a single ticket scenario your luggage is also checked at LHR to PVG.
I agree with this. At the very least, make sure to look at the price of a LHR-CPH Plus return ticket on the given days and take that into account - my guess would be that this could easily come to £150. In the end, the difference here is not great, and as LondonElite says, the added insurance and peace of mind you get from a through ticket is (in my opinion) considerable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.