Has SAS given up on Berlin?

Old Jul 6, 19, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Has SAS given up on Berlin?

I moved to Berlin last year (from Hamburg) and the move has put a massive dent into my relationship with SAS.

It seems to be impossible to go anywhere with SAS as they have reduced the number of flights from the German capital. It was very easy to prioritize SAS for my longhaul trips, now it's either completely impossible or I need to suffer long connection times in Copenhagen (6 hours today, don't ask).

Furthermore, even on a full flight, there was only one person checking in people. Only shortly before the deadline did a second person show up. Despite flying in plus/business, I had to wait in line for 40 minutes...

Is the competition from easyJet killing SAS' will to serve Berlin?
Old Jul 6, 19, 5:11 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
SK has never prioritized Berlin in my view, but I haven't checked the schedule lately, so I can't tell whether it's become even worse or it's just a summer drop. During the summer period you will often see a drop in service to some of the European cities as business travel goes down in July/August while leisure goes up. Also SK needs to free some birds for the charter traffic during the summer period.
Old Jul 6, 19, 5:48 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
SK used to do 3-4 daily flights Berlin to Copenhagen, now there is not even a daily flight. Stockholm and Oslo get a bit more love.
Though the cuts have been quite gradual, after Air Berlin went away and Easyjet came in on the TXL CPH route it seemed to be the final nail in the coffin. I commented on this before in a thread somewhere. I am surprised SK can't keep a CPH TXL running.

I did try Easyjet on the route once, and that was not a pleasant experience, since then it has been connections on Lufthansa.
Tango Alpha likes this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 5:58 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
SK has never prioritized Berlin in my view, but I haven't checked the schedule lately, so I can't tell whether it's become even worse or it's just a summer drop. During the summer period you will often see a drop in service to some of the European cities as business travel goes down in July/August while leisure goes up. Also SK needs to free some birds for the charter traffic during the summer period.
It is not a summer drop for sure. It has been in peak business travel season as well. With all of the Danish tourists going to Berlin, I would expect summer vacation time to be more busy than business travel seasons.
Old Jul 6, 19, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I used to use Air Berlin a bunch to TXL from the Scandinavian capitals. But even after AB went under, SAS didnít seem to jump in hard in ramping up service to TXL.
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:02 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
EZ has numerous flights to TXL and SXF from CPH by now. The fares are normally very low; no wonder SK can't compete with that.
Old Jul 7, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
SK used to do 3-4 daily flights Berlin to Copenhagen, now there is not even a daily flight. Stockholm and Oslo get a bit more love.
Though the cuts have been quite gradual, after Air Berlin went away and Easyjet came in on the TXL CPH route it seemed to be the final nail in the coffin. I commented on this before in a thread somewhere. I am surprised SK can't keep a CPH TXL running.

I did try Easyjet on the route once, and that was not a pleasant experience, since then it has been connections on Lufthansa.
Agree on everything here.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: SK*G, Iberia Plus Oros
Yes, strangely since AB went burst the schedule has slimmed down and so has the service. I experienced several times that no dedicated Plus/Gold check-in counter was available. They donít even serve TXL at a daily basis. Too bad, at they used to offer decent and cheap longhaul options out of TXL via CPH.
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: SK, KL, FI
I used to use them a bit in the past on this route, as TXL is usually more convenient than SXF where DY flies into. But the way SK handles traffic to and from TXL is borderline amateurism. I also encountered massive cuts in schedule, making day trips impossible and I also encountered the long waiting times before finally being able to check in at a desk (which must be done if traveling with luggage, unfortunately). As such, my business to Berlin went to DY on this route (with 3 daily departures to/from OSL directly).
Agreed that it's remarkable that they couldn't do anything with the void AB left and that apparently EZ offers such serious competition that they leave Berlin via the back door...
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:42 am

can only say I agree with all of the above - SK choice of routes are beyond me.
They seem unable to make routes sustainable when others are full to the brim (e.g. TXL, BUD (2xDY & 2xFR flights daily from CPH), CDG suddenly down to twice daily, RAK in wintertime where DY sells seats at DKK3500 o/w ... and I could go on)
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:09 pm

DY/U2/FR all have different structures in virtually every sense and clearly SK is unable to compete. Adding to misery, the likes of LH/BA/AF all have significantly larger networks out of their own hubs [and can therefore count on decent numbers in terms of connecting traffic throughout the year], reason why SK has no other choice but to reduce in order to avoid further losses: given the circumstances, they can hardly be blamed for that.

G
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I'm pretty sure there is more to it than what we can see from the outside. I were recently in PRG on a last min. trip, and after SK dropping the direct daily flight CPH-PRG the alternative were to go through FRA, MUC, ZRH or VIE. The weird part was that SK were the most expensive for any flight +-2 hours of any of the LH group flights to any of the 4 hubs. When I looked at expertflyer all the SK flights were with similar size birds as the LH group flights, but almost sold out, while the LH group flights had +9 seats available in multiple booking classes.

I don't understand their priority either, but they are flying with pretty full flights and making money, so it can't be all wrong what they are doing despite us not understanding their priority.
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:48 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles Diamond, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Easyjet is hurting the ARN-TXL route as well, I go through FRA or MUC these days.
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:00 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Easyjet is hurting the ARN-TXL route as well, I go through FRA or MUC these days.
How many daily flights does SK have from ARN? Just one, or more?
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
How many daily flights does SK have from ARN? Just one, or more?
There are days this year where the SAS schedule has a mid-morning and an evening ARN-TXL flight. And on some of those same days, DY has two ARN-TXL flights too.

Seeing 7 flights from Arlanda to Berlin is on the schedule for some days this year, but thatís SK, DY and EZ together.

Search this Thread