Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Sas cancel the flight but puts me on a flight to miss the last train.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG

Yay Sas, just cancelled the flight from lhr to arn but rebooked me on a flight that will absolutely miss the last train that night.

its a flight just short of three hours later.

Does sas have any obligations to pay for a hotel or a taxi home? Or do I get to sleep in the airport until 3am when the train starts again!!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:33 am

As far as I know, there is no legal obligation for SK to pay for the taxi. Anyhow, in similar cases, I just took a rental or taxi and did send in a claim for reimbursement - and always got back the money. So, YMMV!

Best option is to ask the LHR station or call the EBG team.

Also, this is a typical case for trip insurance, e.g. the insurance bundled with the EB AMEX card would cover expenses like this. So, you might want to review what trip insurance you, your employer or CC issuer has.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:12 pm

As far as I know, the trains from ARN to Stockholm start at 5:00 AM. But Flygbussarna has buses throughout the night to Stockholm Central Station, so there's no need to wait for the train.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nussle
Yay Sas, just cancelled the flight from lhr to arn but rebooked me on a flight that will absolutely miss the last train that night.

its a flight just short of three hours later.

Does sas have any obligations to pay for a hotel or a taxi home? Or do I get to sleep in the airport until 3am when the train starts again!!
Check EC261 rules, especially if your new flight is delayed. How far in advance was your old flight cancelled?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

The flygbussarna goes to stockholm not to the north.

The next train going north is at 0343, new flight arrives at 0030.

Lets see how sas handles this, the cancellation was at 1642 for a flight at 1815. So not a lot of time to fix it.
copperred likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:12 pm

How far north do you need to go? The final train to Uppsala (with connections to Gavle) is at 00:48, while the first train in the morning is at 04:48. But bus 801 to Uppsala has hourly departures until 02:11, and the first is at 04:11, so you can easily get to Uppsala during the night.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RedChili
How far north do you need to go? The final train to Uppsala (with connections to Gavle) is at 00:48, while the first train in the morning is at 04:48. But bus 801 to Uppsala has hourly departures until 02:11, and the first is at 04:11, so you can easily get to Uppsala during the night.
18 minutes to make the train won’t work reliably if having checked luggage. Even without checked luggage to claim, I don’t even always get to the train tracks within 18 minutes of my LHR-ARN flights opening the door.

Sometime this past winter I had to leave from a part of Uppsala in the evening and get an intra-Schengen flight out of Arlanda. I was surprised how the last bus from outside of Uppsala C was scheduled such that if I would have missed it then I would have had to stay in Uppsala overnight or get a taxi/car to take me to Stockholm to try to avoid missing my flight. And it was a Friday night and not even that late. Maybe there was something going on that made the public transit options look potentially extra risky that day, but I was surprised they weren’t better for the time of night. They did have some kind of sign up in the bus waiting area that showed some kind of limited schedule with maybe a explanation for why, but let’s just say my mind was more focused on the clocks.

Onward connection options using public transit can drop in convenience the later it gets at night, and even a little delay could mean a substantial change in plans or other problems due to schedule gaps. And with the way Sweden seems to like doing track closures and various line work during the summer and has other rail infrastructure and service irregularities, all I can say is that I wouldn’t want to have to count on the last train of the evening.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 28, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
18 minutes to make the train won’t work reliably if having checked luggage. Even without checked luggage to claim, I don’t even always get to the train tracks within 18 minutes of my LHR-ARN flights opening the door.

Sometime this past winter I had to leave from a part of Uppsala in the evening and get an intra-Schengen flight out of Arlanda. I was surprised how the last bus from outside of Uppsala C was scheduled such that if I would have missed it then I would have had to stay in Uppsala overnight or get a taxi/car to take me to Stockholm to try to avoid missing my flight. And it was a Friday night and not even that late.
I agree that it's difficult to make it in 18 minutes, but I also know that the last train is sometimes delayed. I've been on that train a few times, and I've had up to a 20 minute delay.

I'm kind of surprised by what you say about the bus from Uppsala, because there are departures every half hour until 00:03, and every half hour from 03:03, and one bus leaving at 01:03. The buses have more frequent departures than the train.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:50 am
Suspended

I was surprised too, as I had expected it to be otherwise before having looked up all the schedules and updates for public transit running that night using UL, SJ, SL and flygbussen. Sounds like it was an exceptional situation rather than normal. There did seem to be a lot of construction-related fencing around that Uppsala C square with the various bus stops; and there were some signs at the bus stops indicating that there were some schedule changes or something else going on IIRC.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

It would perhaps work if it was just Uppsala but it’s further than that. Normal daytime ride is about 50 minutes with a change in Uppsala. At the time of night that I ended up landing it was the 0400am that I would, and did catch.

Sas was pretty unclear if they would solve it so I just waited until 0400.

actually the 801 bus is pretty good and often beats the train. The platform guards at Arlanda can really slow down getting to the platform at peak times as you have to wait for them to open the doors. Generally I try to jump the 801 but it’s the next connection that whilst being great during the day kinda starts to fail at night.

Last edited by nussle; Jun 29, 2019 at 8:32 am Reason: Add a bit mire.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nussle
It would perhaps work if it was just Uppsala but it’s further than that. Normal daytime ride is about 50 minutes with a change in Uppsala. At the time of night that I ended up landing it was the 0400am that I would, and did catch.

Sas was pretty unclear if they would solve it so I just waited until 0400.

actually the 801 bus is pretty good and often beats the train. The platform guards at Arlanda can really slow down getting to the platform at peak times as you have to wait for them to open the doors. Generally I try to jump the 801 but it’s the next connection that whilst being great during the day kinda starts to fail at night.
Where did you wait out the night and what did you do during the wait?

Isn’t the Clarion airport hotel gym open for paid use at night? I get it for free, so I would probably just use it and hang out there (if not going into town).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

I just sat up in sky city and tried to sleep. Lots of other people doing the same.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedChili
[/left]the last train is sometimes delayed.
Delayed? Seriously? Do trains ever run late in modern, affluent, efficient and well-organized Sweden?

Johan
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Delayed, yes, all the time.

More than 20 minutes on either sl or UL transport any you can jump on a taxi. But, keep lots of proof and they will fight you all the way and try the bear minimum
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Delayed? Seriously? Do trains ever run late in modern, affluent, efficient and well-organized Sweden?

Johan
Delayed and cancelled trains are a staple of Skånsk society. I would say that a majority of my trains experience a delay, technical issue or cancellation. The last 3 direct trains I have taken to CPH have been stopped in Malmö for various reasons, costing me anywhere between 15-30 min. As a precaution, I plan on travelling two trains earlier than I would normally to make sure I arrive in time. More lounge time, but I would prefer if my employer allowed us to take a taxi.

Back to the topic of the thread, I am a bit confused why SAS would pay compensation if the delay is within EU limits. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the complaint...but SAS only sold a ticket to ARN and not the entire journey home. I see this very much as a travel insurance claim. Surely SAS should not be held responsible for onward travel after the ticket ended.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.