FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Plusgrade -> catching earlier flight? rebooking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1973862-plusgrade-catching-earlier-flight-rebooking.html)

nini_su Jun 13, 2019 10:28 am

Plusgrade -> catching earlier flight? rebooking?

I'll be returning from a trip to HKG arriving in CPH on Monday morning and back when I was booking this trip I thought it was a good idea to add a connection CPH-ARN-MMX to it for increased mile earnings (it's a youth ticket and the additional legs were almost free). Unfortunately now that doesn't sound as fun anymore, especially since it leaves me with a 5h20m transit time in ARN.

In this case it's unfortunately a hypothetical, but I was wondering: If I made a bid on Plusgrade and ended up in Plus for the last leg, would that include the perk of being able to take an earlier flight (depending on availability of course)? I say hypothetical, because in my case there is no realistically reachable earlier flight. Now, what I'm also wondering, how would the upgrade affect rebooking? I'd be even more absurd, but could I rebook the last leg back to CPH instead of MMX (for free or for a rebooking fee)?

In any case, for now I'm tempted to give the lowest bid and let the Plusgrade algorithm decide whether I get the upgrade and fly all legs (which would at least give me lounge access in ARN making things a little bit more bearable) or not, in which case I'd just leave it and take the train over the bridge back home (as sane people would do, I guess).

highupinthesky Jun 13, 2019 10:39 am

Plusgrade upgrades do not give access the sameday standby for earlier flights. You need to buy a Plus ticket for this benefit.

I can't follow where your final destination is, but if it's CPH or MMX you can skip the last legs without penalty as far as I remember. Just be polite and cancel your check-in when arriving at CPH or if you have checked-in luggage, make sure the last legs are canceled when you check-in in HKG otherwise your luggage will automatically be transferred to the CPH-ARN flight.

Rebooking ARN-MMX to ARN-CPH can be done, but whether it's free or not depends on the ticket you have. Also you will have to pay the fare difference.

nini_su Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks, that pretty much answers all of my questions.

Just for clarification, final destination is Malmö (ticket is HKG-CPH-ARN-MMX) and yes, I agree/am pretty certain I can abort the trip in CPH without repercussions.

Regarding rebooking, I take your answer as a "this also doesn't change when getting a Plusgrade upgrade". So since the ticket is in Youth Go Smart, it'd incur a rebooking fee and yeah, I didn't even think about the fare difference.

fassy Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am

About skipping the final legs CPH-ARN-MMX I wouldn't be to sure about it. You can try but it might be that they hit you hard with a repricing since HKG-MMX is a different product for a different market than HKG-CPH.

highupinthesky Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am

Originally Posted by nini_su (Post 31199236)
Regarding rebooking, I take your answer as a "this also doesn't change when getting a Plusgrade upgrade". So since the ticket is in Youth Go Smart, it'd incur a rebooking fee and yeah, I didn't even think about the fare difference.

The rebooking fee depends on the ticket your purchased. The plusgrade upgrade will only give you fast track and lounge access, a better seat/service onboard the flight and more EB points. From a plusgrade point of view, each leg is an individual trip, so you need to do the plusgrade bid for each leg on the trip HKG-MMX, but you can also just do it for 1 leg if you prefer that.

highupinthesky Jun 13, 2019 11:45 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 31199287)
About skipping the final legs CPH-ARN-MMX I wouldn't be to sure about it. You can try but it might be that they hit you hard with a repricing since HKG-MMX is a different product for a different market than HKG-CPH.

I normally agree, but OP did state that the legs CPH-ARN-MMX was almost free. I take that as the price incl. the legs was higher than the price without the legs. But I agree there might be a penalty and only SK can answer what that penalty will be if any.

Jainzar Jun 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 31199287)

In worst case you do not feel fit to fly when being in CPH. Some stomach problems and you feel like you are going to throw up.

Do you really think they want to have such a person on board?

SK AAR Jun 13, 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31199196)
Plusgrade upgrades do not give access the sameday standby for earlier flights. You need to buy a Plus ticket for this benefit.

Wrong. I have been allowed to take a earlier flight several times after purchasing a Plusgrade upgrade. Just proceed to the gate of the earlier flight with your BP for SAS Plus and most likely the gate agent will allow you to board if there are free seats in SAS Plus. This has also been reported several times in this forum.

tgj1974 Jun 14, 2019 1:10 am

Plans change, I would not see any problems in telling in Hong Kong, that you will need to stop your travel in Copenhagen.

I have done that once or twice before, with no issues.

Repricing seems hypothetical.

Crazy little mileage run after 12h on plane ;-)

highupinthesky Jun 14, 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31200269)
Wrong. I have been allowed to take a earlier flight several times after purchasing a Plusgrade upgrade. Just proceed to the gate of the earlier flight with your BP for SAS Plus and most likely the gate agent will allow you to board if there are free seats in SAS Plus. This has also been reported several times in this forum.

Strange. I've been declined multiple times in ARN on flights for CPH, incl. flights with free plus seats.

fassy Jun 14, 2019 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar (Post 31199761)
In worst case you do not feel fit to fly when being in CPH. Some stomach problems and you feel like you are going to throw up.

Originally Posted by tgj1974 (Post 31201541)
Plans change, I would not see any problems in telling in Hong Kong, that you will need to stop your travel in Copenhagen.

I have done that once or twice before, with no issues.

Repricing seems hypothetical.

Didn't see this was the return for the trip and CPH-ARN-MMX are the final legs. So, yes... skipping those wouldn't be an issue. On the outbound I would have been careful. Anyway, I would not tell them in HKG but just be a now show for CPH-ARN leg in CPH.

highupinthesky Jun 14, 2019 5:02 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 31201768)
Anyway, I would not tell them in HKG but just be a now show for CPH-ARN leg in CPH.

If you have checked luggage you need to tell them in HKG not to check it through to MMX. Otherwise you risk a penalty for being no show in CPH if you don't have a good reason. I know the risk isn't that high with SK, but anyway telling in HKG will avoid the flight CPH-ARN being delayed due to removing the pax luggage. I'm pretty sure the other pax at the CPH-ARN flight will appreciate this.

nini_su Jun 14, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31201883)
If you have checked luggage you need to tell them in HKG not to check it through to MMX. Otherwise you risk a penalty for being no show in CPH if you don't have a good reason. I know the risk isn't that high with SK, but anyway telling in HKG will avoid the flight CPH-ARN being delayed due to removing the pax luggage. I'm pretty sure the other pax at the CPH-ARN flight will appreciate this.

Agree. In my experience, it's not a problem to just let the check-in agent short check your bags if it's the last leg(s) on the ticket.