Best MR route for SK?

Old Jun 11, 19, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Best MR route for SK?

Personally I think it will be CPH-OSL-BGO, round trip will be approx 120Euro in Youth Go and earn 4 flights.
Any other idea?
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: SK
If you're located in CPH and need to do a long haul flight, and you need more segments, it's sometimes cheaper or the same price to fly out of MMX or AGH. And if you're good you can get a total of 6 segments instead of just 2, for the same price. Otherwise flying long haul from BGO is also cheap, and flights to and from BGO is usually a good price. If you can do YOUTH flights, you can book a return flight from BGO to any long haul destination for a lot less than from CPH, and then you just need flights to and from BGO. Make sure you book those as one-way tickets instead of return, as that is cheaper on Intra-Scandinavian routes than a return, for some reason... Happy flying!
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:28 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
XXX-HUB-HUB-YYY r/t in Plus (preferably booked as early as possible) tends to be the best for segments, and for points. (HUB being OSL/CPH/ARN, XXX and YYY being any Scandinavian or European destination)
nixande likes this.
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
XXX-HUB-HUB-YYY r/t in Plus (preferably booked as early as possible) tends to be the best for segments, and for points. (HUB being OSL/CPH/ARN, XXX and YYY being any Scandinavian or European destination)
I don't get that - how does PLUS possibly help segment counting? I think it just makes it more expensive? To my best knowledge, SK does not apply any multipliers to PLUS segments.
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:08 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
I don't get that - how does PLUS possibly help segment counting? I think it just makes it more expensive? To my best knowledge, SK does not apply any multipliers to PLUS segments.
They don't, but the OP is ambiguous. He uses the abbreviation MR (mileage run) in his headline, but writes about earning flights (i.e. segments) in the text. I therefore pointed out what I think is the best strategy for status building, and the one I am using myself those years my domestic job flying and CC earning doesn't earn me Diamond with no extra flying.

For at pure segment run, the cheapest possible GO fare is best, but if points (=miles in many other programs) also should be of interest, one should remember that there is a large difference in points earned between low GO and low PLUS (e.g. 250 vs 750 intra Scandinavian),. The better amenities (especially for non-Gs), should also be of interest for mileage/segment runners! My age means that youth fares are of no interest for me, but for general fares, the price difference is often very small between GO and PLUS when bought in advance.

(For pure points earning, flying intercontinental Plus on SK or flying C on *A partners that give 200 % earning on all C fares might be even better, but usually requires more advance planning, and more time)
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 19, 1:38 am

Programs: SK, KL, FI
Depends if you want to do a mileage run or a segment run. Or... what is your starting point, what do you want to achieve and when do you want/need to achieve it?

For mileage run, either wait until summer offers come, when SK sometimes puts business class for sale at ok prices. It might be a bit expensive for a youth, though. They sometimes have long haul plus tickets during the year at ok prices, too. Try to add a creative routing, so not with hub as starting point. For medium and short haul I can recommend flying to HAM, TXL, GDN, BRU or AMS, as they often have relatively cheap plus tickets. And the flights are very short. All those airports have lounges for *G with the exception of GDN, as SK remains a bunch of cheapskates. Subscribing to their newsletter and keeping an eye out for offers, also helps.
It might even be profitable to fly with certain partner airlines on long haul flights as earnings at SAS on those segments sort of force your MR to be outside of SAS. I will soon embark a CA flight to SGN in C which I booked as error fare. It should earn me 110% mileage (or about 15000 miles) and a seat in the C-cabin for about 5000NOK and includes 2 SK legs in Plus as well. I also had an AC a few years back, with flights to Lima, Peru. It was great fun to visit Peru and I earned, at the time, a generous amount of miles on an economy ticket (75 or 100% I think). The ticket was also about 5000NOK.

Segment running might be equal. It's not recommended to have domestic flights in Norway, as you pay a load of extra taxes there. In fact, a one way flight in Norway may cost more than a return to HEL from OSL, for example.
Be aware of Widerøe flights when flying to/from/in Norway, as they may have different point earnings or may not count towards segments earned. A pity, really, as I like Widerøe better than SAS. The same goes for any other partner that operates codeshares with SAS (mind, I'm not talking CityJet or SAS Ireland, which operate as/for SAS. They should be ok as SAS flights and count as legs).
Old Jun 26, 19, 5:59 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Since SAS is one of the few airlines to allow Gold to be attained with segments too, it is probably more of a question in regards to where are you starting from and are those segments cheap enough to attain.

I know f.e. that there are cheap flights for TUN-HKT / KUL on turkis business at about 1000 Euro (150%), or there are the special TAP fares for 1200 Euro to go f.e. DUB/CPH to LAX/SFO. Yes there is positioning cost and some might prefer just flying in economy for the MR but I think it comes down to opportunity and personal preferences - and oddities.

From my looking around so far, it looks like the PE fares in Europe are an oddity which can partially be exploited through combining segmets - in this case not for the segment run, but because each segments brings points. It would be very helpful if you could share working segment runs (as they also can be used to check for PE fares) for us to get ideas. Especially since most of that knowledge seems to be locked in forum discussions in swedish and danish
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ImportViking View Post
Depends if you want to do a mileage run or a segment run. Or... what is your starting point, what do you want to achieve and when do you want/need to achieve it?

For mileage run, either wait until summer offers come, when SK sometimes puts business class for sale at ok prices. It might be a bit expensive for a youth, though. They sometimes have long haul plus tickets during the year at ok prices, too. Try to add a creative routing, so not with hub as starting point. For medium and short haul I can recommend flying to HAM, TXL, GDN, BRU or AMS, as they often have relatively cheap plus tickets. And the flights are very short. All those airports have lounges for *G with the exception of GDN, as SK remains a bunch of cheapskates. Subscribing to their newsletter and keeping an eye out for offers, also helps.
It might even be profitable to fly with certain partner airlines on long haul flights as earnings at SAS on those segments sort of force your MR to be outside of SAS. I will soon embark a CA flight to SGN in C which I booked as error fare. It should earn me 110% mileage (or about 15000 miles) and a seat in the C-cabin for about 5000NOK and includes 2 SK legs in Plus as well. I also had an AC a few years back, with flights to Lima, Peru. It was great fun to visit Peru and I earned, at the time, a generous amount of miles on an economy ticket (75 or 100% I think). The ticket was also about 5000NOK.

Segment running might be equal. It's not recommended to have domestic flights in Norway, as you pay a load of extra taxes there. In fact, a one way flight in Norway may cost more than a return to HEL from OSL, for example.
Be aware of Widerøe flights when flying to/from/in Norway, as they may have different point earnings or may not count towards segments earned. A pity, really, as I like Widerøe better than SAS. The same goes for any other partner that operates codeshares with SAS (mind, I'm not talking CityJet or SAS Ireland, which operate as/for SAS. They should be ok as SAS flights and count as legs).
I see i confused a lot of people, personally I fly two Asia-Europe round trip in business for Miles, and since I will be based in CPH next year, I guess I will have to fly segments to keep my Gold status with Sk, so Im asking more of Segments than Miles in this post.
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I see I confused a lot of people, personally Im asking about segment run, but mileage run will also be fine to discuss in this post.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12 View Post
I see i confused a lot of people, personally I fly two Asia-Europe round trip in business for Miles, and since I will be based in CPH next year, I guess I will have to fly segments to keep my Gold status with Sk, so Im asking more of Segments than Miles in this post.
Not necessarily. When you search for intra-europa flight on the SK web site, you will often get the option to fly through one of the other hubs for a couple of hundred DKK more.
If you do CPH-LHR-CPH on Monday June 8-12 will cost you 4.024 DKK in plus and earn you 3.750 point incl. your gold bonus. In Go it will cost you 3028 and earn you 250 point incl. your gold bonus.
If you do CPH-ARN-LHR-ARN-CPH on the same dates, it will cost you 4.188 DKK in plus and earn you 5625 points incl. your gold bonus. In Go it will cost you 3191, but only earn you 500 points incl. your gold bonus.

If you do the CPH-ARN-LHR-ARN-CPH flight 8 times in plus you will have earned the 45.000 point you need, but only 32 segments and it will have costs you 33.504 DKK
If you do the CPH-ARN-LHR-ARN-CPH flight 12 times in go you will have earned the 45 segments you need but only earned you 6.000 points and it will have costs you 38.292 DKK

There are most likely other routes where it's even cheaper to do mileage or segments runs.

Also as you are located in CPH, you can probably get a SK Mastercard, which will give you 12.000 status points per year and thereby reduce the points you need for requalification to 33.000 point
nixande likes this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
If you do the CPH-ARN-LHR-ARN-CPH flight 8 times in plus you will have earned the 45.000 point you need, but only 32 segments and it will have costs you 33.504 DKK
If you do the CPH-ARN-LHR-ARN-CPH flight 12 times in go you will have earned the 45 segments you need but only earned you 6.000 points and it will have costs you 38.292 DKK
And for the Europeans: that is 4.481,93 Euro and 5.122,43 Euro. The first is less flying, less expensive and gives you more points - however for that amount of money, I suggest you rather take a few nice long trips and earn the 45K that way - for example with one of the 200% business class fares.

If you are just going for the points, I can suggest the Swiss Senator Runs from M&M - these book into business D on LH. go across the border and earn equally nice points on SAS.

Search this Thread