Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS missed flight because stucked in security check queue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS missed flight because stucked in security check queue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Question SAS missed flight because stucked in security check queue

Hello,

me and my friend wanted to fly from Frankfurt via Stockholm to Kiruna and booked a roundtrip on the site (SAS GO Smart).
We were 2 1/2 half hours before takeoff on the airport. We also checked in online the day before.
The security check queue on the airport was very long. We waited one hour in it and asked the airport employee how we can get as fast as it possible through the security check.
He showed us the "fast" lane where we still had to wait 15 minutes. After that we had to run to the end at the terminal to get to our gate. We've missed the boarding time about 5 minutes.

We called the SAS hotline and they said, they could give us another inbound flight for 800 euros. Thats too much for us, so asked them if the outbound part of our ticket could still be used, they said it should be possible, that we can travel back with this ticket.
So my friend and i were looking for another one way ticket and found a youth ticket for 170 euros to get to Kiruna.

I asked so many people and nearly everybody (including one pilot) said, if you dont take your inbound flight, the outbound flight will be canceled automatically.

In terms and conditions they say, 4.5
The Ticket you have purchased is only valid for the sequence of transportation shown on it. The price you paid is based on our fares and is specially calculated based on the travel dates you have selected and sequence of travel. Therefore, the calculated price applies only to the sequence of transportation shown on the Ticket.
My question is, can we still fly back from kiruna via stockholm to frankfurt with the actual ticket (and get that youth ticket to get to kiruna) or or are we out of luck but can get money back (e.g. for the outbound flight)?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have not looked at this that recently, but SK used to treat their European flights as two one way routings, even when booked together. So the call center agent may be right. Though I don't know for sure if SK still does that. SK was pretty unique among legacy carriers on this, though it is kind of the LCC model.

Since you are past your first departure, the call center should be able to see you as a no show, and see what the ticket consequences are. Get them to email you a confirmation if they say "yes the two final flights remain valid"
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have not looked at this that recently, but SK used to treat their European flights as two one way routings, even when booked together. So the call center agent may be right. Though I don't know for sure if SK still does that. SK was pretty unique among legacy carriers on this, though it is kind of the LCC model.

Since you are past your first departure, the call center should be able to see you as a no show, and see what the ticket consequences are. Get them to email you a confirmation if they say "yes the two final flights remain valid"
Yes we tried to get an email confirmation but SAS didn't send one to us. We want to give it another shot when the german support is online on tuesday, perhaps he can help us better.
I'm not pretty sure but it seems like an traditional round trip ticket. The ticketnumbers and reservation codes are the same.
I'm also not sure, if they see us as no show, because we checked in and were on the airport. Online, the inbound is greyed out but the outbound info is still active. Nevertheless i think that's just a online ticket information which will not provide any actual status of the ticket, like no show, delayed, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: More than one
I recently had to cancel an intra Europa trip, but our company TA would charge us more for canceling the ticket than we would get refunded in taxes etc. so I just left the ticket. I got the notification for check-in open, boarding etc. for both the outbound and return leg, so it seems like SK is still treating the European tickets as 2 one way flights.

But I would do like CPH-Flyer recommend. Call the SK helpdesk and get them to send you an e-mail confirming you can still use the return flights.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Castiel
Yes we tried to get an email confirmation but SAS didn't send one to us. We want to give it another shot when the german support is online on tuesday, perhaps he can help us better.
I'm not pretty sure but it seems like an traditional round trip ticket. The ticketnumbers and reservation codes are the same.
I'm also not sure, if they see us as no show, because we checked in and were on the airport. Online, the inbound is greyed out but the outbound info is still active. Nevertheless i think that's just a online ticket information which will not provide any actual status of the ticket, like no show, delayed, etc.
First leg being grayed out is normal when you are past the take off time, so this i a normal.

You will be listed as no show, when you check-in and get your boarding card, but don't show up at the gate. If you had check-in luggage, they would have to offload this from the flight, which often means they will keep the gate open a little longer in the hope you will show up.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Ah okay. Yes we had check-in luggage and they unloaded it, so we could get it back.
Thanks for sharing your ideas. I will contact the helpdesk and try to get an email confirmation.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call, do not email. You need to speak with an agent. It is entirely possible that the onward and return segments have been cancelled and you will need to ask for them to be reinstated. Whether that happens and whether there is a fee is all up for discussion.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Castiel
SAS always just did one PNR/E ticket number, but they did see them as independent segments. As mentioned above, for tickets I have not used, I got the check in notification as normal for the return flight. I would try to get some level of written confirmation from SK that the return flights are still in place.

They will see you as a no show even if you checked in. You did not make the flight at the start of your itinerary, and would have been off loaded. That does make you a no show from an airline perspective.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I have done the outbound no-show several times. Never had a problem with the inbound. The last time more than a year ago though.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Call, do not email. You need to speak with an agent. It is entirely possible that the onward and return segments have been cancelled and you will need to ask for them to be reinstated. Whether that happens and whether there is a fee is all up for discussion.
No one talks about e-mailing SK. The suggesting is to get an written confirmation throug e-mail FROM SK stating that the return flight is not canceled. Sure you need to call SK to get that before the return flight is due. That's kind of a given.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
I have also done this before, called and cancelled outbound, inbound still fine.

But SAS only, its really quite special rule.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
No worries. Your return flight will intact. Don't use time to bother with contact to SAS.

Unlike Lufthansa, SAS has never made a problem out of a no show on leg one.

As late as this March I was unable to use leg one of a SK European return flight. Called in in advance to ask, if they wanted to know (not that I was worried). 'No' was the answer. 'Just call in afterwards to get your fees back.'
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
No worries. Your return flight will intact. Don't use time to bother with contact to SAS.

Unlike Lufthansa, SAS has never made a problem out of a no show on leg one.

As late as this March I was unable to use leg one of a SK European return flight. Called in in advance to ask, if they wanted to know (not that I was worried). 'No' was the answer. 'Just call in afterwards to get your fees back.'
Good to know that SK keeps this. One of the very good sides of SK short haul.
​​​​
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:53 pm

Actually, as far as I know, Danish court has outlawed the practice of cancelling the return segment when the outbound is not flown. SAS is therefore not allowed to cancel return flights anymore. Is only applies to Danish airlines, so how exactly it affects SAS when not flying to or from Denmark, I don’t know.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:16 pm

As I read in the press, Austria, Spain and Germany has outlawed cancellation due to No-Show on the outbound segment. As a result, SAS doesn’t use this practice anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.