Why can't I book this? [ARN to AES]

Old Jun 8, 19, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: flying blue
Why can't I book this? [ARN to AES]

I want to fly from Stockholm ARN to Ålesund AES on 4th August.

There's a pair of flights that are ideal for me SK867 and SK1326. It is a tight connection, 50 mins, but minimum connection time at Oslo for Shengen to domestic is 45 minutes. I'd be flying hand luggage only anyway.

I could of course buy two singles but that is inevitably more expensive than it should be.

I'm talking about booking direct with SAS on their website.

Any ideas why and best way to get round this?
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:37 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
If the flights are in rush hour, the transfer time might be longer, but try call SK. You would normally be able to book flight like this over the phone without having to pay the phone booking fee.
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky View Post
If the flights are in rush hour, the transfer time might be longer, but try call SK. You would normally be able to book flight like this over the phone without having to pay the phone booking fee.
Sunday afternoon so can't see it being mega busy. Have done this connection before and it's a short walk with automatic passport/ID scanners between the sections.

There's an earlier flight I can take from ARN. I'd be incoming on QR167 which has good historical punctuality. Business class so off first and SAS flight leaves from same terminal, hand luggage only again. Doable in 40 mins?
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I can't recall the ARN leisure forecasts, but Sunday afternoon on August 4 can easily be peak time for leisure travel going on vacation or coming back from vacation. Beside that. Flights with same flight number might have different departure times on the different days of the week.

Normally 40 min. should be ok, but you need to pass security and passport check, so it all depends on how many other long haul lands shortly before your flight. And given we are in the vacation period there will be a lot more pax's who are not used to flying.

Alternatively. If you book ARN-AES in SAS Plus, you have free standby for earlier flights if seats are available. You check-in as usual for your scheduled flight, go to the gate for the earlier flight and ask for a seat. They will change you flight if there are seats available.

But try call SK. They might be able to book you on your preferred flight without the booking fee, since it's not available online. Also they might be able to explain why it's not available online.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:26 am

Normally 40 min. should be ok, but you need to pass security and passport check, so it all depends on how many other long haul lands shortly before your flight.
There is absolutely NO passport check between Arlanda and Ålesund, and has never been, so not affected by longhaul arrivals. Both cities are within Schengen and the Nordic Passport Union. There are only a few Schengen arrival gates where you would have to clear security at OSL to do transfer, so higher risk of not having to clear security again. Only "barrier" to go through is the "domestic connection gate" (which are "customs-check")

Last edited by Discus; Jun 9, 19 at 2:39 am
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Discus View Post
There is absolutely NO passport check between Arlanda and Ålesund, and has never been, so not affected by longhaul arrivals. Both cities are within Schengen and the Nordic Passport Union. There are only a few Schengen arrival gates where you would have to clear security at OSL to do transfer, so higher risk of not having to clear security again. Only "barrier" to go through is the "domestic connection gate" (which are "customs-check")
No, but OP is arriving from Doha, and in his second post he asked whether 40 min. was enough to get from his Doha flight to his Oslo flight at Arlanda.
Old Jun 9, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
No, but OP is arriving from Doha, and in his second post he asked whether 40 min. was enough to get from his Doha flight to his Oslo flight at Arlanda.
I must be blind. You are the first mentioning Doha in this thread! It appeared to me as a straightforward intra-Scandinavian flight on a single ticket ... where do you get the Doha thing from?
Old Jun 9, 19, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751 View Post
I must be blind. You are the first mentioning Doha in this thread! It appeared to me as a straightforward intra-Scandinavian flight on a single ticket ... where do you get the Doha thing from?
In the second post from OP, he is mention he is arriving at ARN on QR167 (Qatar Airlines DOH-ARN) and have 40 min. to the first possible flight to OSL on the trip to AES.
Old Jun 10, 19, 5:00 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
ouch. missed that!
Old Jun 10, 19, 5:35 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
GDS'es do not show this connection but my Corpo Tool allows segments to be selected manually - when done no issues to price it and no warning about the MCT undercut.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
GDS'es do not show this connection but my Corpo Tool allows segments to be selected manually - when done no issues to price it and no warning about the MCT undercut.
What price do you get compared to the pre selected connections? Manually compiling a flight plan on routes where pre selected flight plans exist, often more than double the price.
Old Jun 11, 19, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Tried calling SAS and that was a most unsatisfactory experience. Basically best suggestion was to book the return trip as three single fares.

Decided to risk making the 40 min connection.

Search this Thread