Flight Passes

Old Jun 3, 19, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Flight Passes

I've recently came across the understanding of airline personnel having the benefit for giving away a 'flight pass'. This, in short, is the ability to have a partner, family member, or friend be their companion to fly free or with only taxes/fees imposed on their ticket cost. They can only fly stand-by and when the airplane has availability (companion must be extremely flexible and probably more Type B personality I assume)
Looking at a number of airlines, and also having friends work for different airlines, curious if SAS has this and how they have structured their benefit system? As with many things in Scandinavia was curious if this was a taxable benefit, if they are more strict with the offering, or if it exists if the employee and receiving member who benefits isn't married.

Has anyone had experience with this?
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
I'm not 100% sure whether SAS has what you describe, but on a number of flights, I've seen one of the crew member go to the gate desk with a friend or kid and ask for seat assignment for their standby ticket.

Regarding taxes, I guess it's like many other benefits. You need to report it your self if it's over the limit for free benefits, and then we get back into the discussion about what is the value of a standby seat on a flight.
Old Jun 4, 19, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Yes, that is what my friend was describing.
It's a good perk from the airline, which cost them very little.
Don't think I have the personality type for it after understanding pros & cons, but nice that airlines help benefit the crew in other ways if not monetary or scheduling.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:04 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Miles & More, Radisson Rewards, Hilton Honors, AVIS preferred, and others
Originally Posted by jerjeffr View Post
Yes, that is what my friend was describing.
It's a good perk from the airline, which cost them very little.
Don't think I have the personality type for it after understanding pros & cons, but nice that airlines help benefit the crew in other ways if not monetary or scheduling.
I'm pretty sure the crew has access to the flight data, so they can tell in advance whether there is a possibility for standby seats or not, in which case it will only be disruptions which can throw the plan off the rails. That said. In the cases I saw, the standby pax had to board as the last persons and on all flights there were more than 10 empty seats. Also the standby pax had to fly on eco. No plus or business seats for them, despite being available. One of the cases I saw were a flight from to US. I'm not sure I would chance that one, despite being a 20 year old student.
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Usually the portal that airline employees use already gives you a good RF on how much space will be available for travel.
Some info here: SAS AB | Find flight listing option at FlyZED | ID Travel | Airline employees

SAS does not have a flypass concept, at best the employee can take someone with them. The tax side of ID90 standby travel is very contentious.
jerjeffr likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 5:22 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
A few years back (3-4?) I faced a scene in a gate at CPH. A GA was scolding a pax next to me for flying on some kind of staff voucher/pass SK ticket like the ones you are discussing. It was an SK flight, extra Schengen, but I think short haul. He was dressed in DY-branded wear and had a pilot suitcase with him. The GA has guessed out that he is a Norwegian pilot and started to question how he got the ticket. He said he is married to an SK FA. Then he got a lecture that his wife could loose a job for that, because these tickets are not supposed to be used to get other airline's staff to get to work. he was apologetically explaining (not believably though) that he is flying to visit family. He was allowed to board after some debate. Just a data point.
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Pretty interesting. As I recall with the pilot strike too, scheduling issues are a part of the negotiation. If they gave the benefit without having to have the SK FA next to them, believe this would help eliminate at least a few frustrations and the spouse could fly and be at whatever destination with them.
Of course wearing a competitors uniform onboard is quite silly and rude, nevertheless would make sense if he was just going to visit her in Rome/Nice/etc. where his FA spouse had their overnight or the like.
Old Jun 5, 19, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by jerjeffr View Post
Of course wearing a competitors uniform onboard is quite silly and rude, nevertheless would make sense if he was just going to visit her in Rome/Nice/etc. where his FA spouse had their overnight or the like.
It does not make sense to me that anyone flies in competitors uniform on free tickets. I've seen SK staff flying in civil clothes when they are no on duty, like a couple of months ago where I was standby on a delayed flight from ARN to CPH (boarding system down). While waiting to see if there where space, a guy dressed in civil cloths came up to the desk and told the staff, that he was suppose to be co pilot on this flight. He asked for permission to go onboard and talk to the captain whether he or the reserve co pilot should do the flight. Long story short they agreed he should do the flight, so off he went to change clothes, and 15 min. later he were back wearing his SK uniform. The suitcase he had with him wasn't much larger than the normal suitcase any short haul pilots always have with them.

IMHO there are no excuse for flying in competitors uniform on free tickets. It's outright disrespectful and will only cause you trouble.
Old Jun 5, 19, 8:42 am

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
and it did!
highupinthesky likes this.

Search this Thread