Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award via phone - 825 SEK service fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Award via phone - 825 SEK service fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Not over the phone, but online:

I was trying to book a one way award flight from Zurich to Stockholm online on with Eurobonus on a Swiss flight.
However, before I finalized the purchase I realized that SAS wants 90 $ for fees?! Excuse me? Buying the ticket directly at the airline is *only* 100 bucks and if I were to take a later flight I'd actually be paying *less* than with the miles ticket. What the hell SAS? Even Miles and More "only" wants 60 bucks for the same flight for taxes and fees.
I don't know how you did the booking. If I try to book ZRH-ARN online using the SK tool, I get around USD $35 in taxes and fees.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I don't know how you did the booking. If I try to book ZRH-ARN online using the SK tool, I get around USD $35 in taxes and fees.
Probably he tried to book a *A award with Swiss instead of an EuroBonus award on SK?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Probably he tried to book a *A award with Swiss instead of an EuroBonus award on SK?
In that case the Miles & More booking fee of USD $60 should be compared to the EB booking fee of USD $35 as Swiss is a Miles & More airline.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Miles and More:

Eurobonus:

It's the *exact* same flights...
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Now do the same with EuroBonus on SK metal and Miles and More on SK metal?
SK2751 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Nick Art, what folks are trying to say is that you are getting a discount from MM for their own flight (or if you prefer, you are getting a surcharge from SK for not-own flight). This is a fairly annoying, but also understandable, practice.

Also, if you can get this flight for less than 100 CHF, why are you considering using points at all? It seems that this is not a good flight to use your points on.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:46 pm

Now do the same with EuroBonus on SK metal and Miles and More on SK metal?
?? The USD $35 is for EB on SK metal. It's not possible to book *A awards using EB on SK Metal, just as I'm pretty sure it's not possible to book *A awards for MM on LH group metal hence the USD $60 booking fee on LH.
But I do wonder what the booking fee will be for MM on SK metal. That would be fare to compare it to the USD $100 SK *A booking fee.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:43 am
Original Poster

?? The USD $35 is for EB on SK metal. It's not possible to book *A awards using EB on SK Metal, just as I'm pretty sure it's not possible to book *A awards for MM on LH group metal hence the USD $60 booking fee on LH.
But I do wonder what the booking fee will be for MM on SK metal. That would be fare to compare it to the USD $100 SK *A booking fee.
that was my point
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry for the delay:

The itinary I originally posted is mixed SAS and Swiss, first flight is LX second is SK, as mentioned: Same flights.

So here I've now done all the combinations:

SK on SAS:

LX on SAS:

LX and SK mixed on SAS:

SK on M&M:

LX on M&M:

LX and SK mixed on M&M:

I hope this listing helps in this discussion at least a little.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay:
[...]
The itinary I originally posted is mixed SAS and Swiss, first flight is LX second is SK, as mentioned: Same flights.
[...]
I hope this listing helps in this discussion at least a little.
You're doing it wrong. You need to book the SAS flights using the EuroBonus awards, not the Star Alliance Awards:

But still, EB awards only makes sense if you get a decent return. I would never book a $100 flight on points. NEVER. I occasional redeem for intra-European flights. Mostly last minute on very expensive routes like CPH-HAJ where the last minute ticket often runs at $600 to $750. Then I get a decent return for my sub-$100 in fees and 20.000 points. Or like the one I opened this topic for HAJ-MUC-LIS in a very busy time where the revenue fligths were obscenely expensive.

Anyway, SAS Diamond Desk came back with a response, and now I'm really pissed:
Originally Posted by SAS Diamond Desk
Tack för att du skriver till oss.
Om du ringer oss och poängterar att det inte gĺr att boka en resa som du önskar online, kan vĺra kollegor undersöka saken och hjälpa dig boka utan bokningsavgift om dem kan ĺterskapa problemet.
Eftersom vi inte finner nĺgra uppgifter pĺ att det var nĺgra fel den dagen du försökte boka, har jag ingen möjlighet att ĺterbetala de bokningsavgifter som debiterades.
Om du har fler frĺgor är du välkommen ĺter.
Sure, I just called for fun. After trying to book that damn flights 3 times and the stupid system failed all the time sending me that verification SMS. Also, not to mention that even if, I should not pay the fee as EBD. Just replied back to them saying the same but didn't even receive the acknowledgement mail that the mail has been received. I think they just closed the case.

This is really insulting.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:36 am

Sure, I just called for fun. After trying to book that damn flights 3 times and the stupid system failed all the time sending me that verification SMS. Also, not to mention that even if, I should not pay the fee as EBD. Just replied back to them saying the same but didn't even receive the acknowledgement mail that the mail has been received. I think they just closed the case.
Looks like you got into the loop, where whoever looks at the case only looks at the first contact where you were denied a refund.

The acknowledgement e-mail is unstable at the moment. On my last 3 e-mail's to the diamond helpdesk, I only got the acknowledge e-mail on one of them, but I got an answer to all 3 within 3 working days.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:41 am

SK on SAS:
I wonder how you managed to find this one. When I try to book ZRH-ARN in the EB *A award tool using sas.dk, I can't pick any SK flights. I can only pick them using the EB native award tool.

But never mind. It looks like booking SK flight using the EB native award tool are cheaper than any other methods, whether it's SK or LH group metal operating the flights. This also applies the points spend. ZRH-ARN only costs 15K points one way using the EB native award tool on SK flights.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I wonder how you managed to find this one. When I try to book ZRH-ARN in the EB *A award tool using sas.dk, I can't pick any SK flights. I can only pick them using the EB native award tool.

But never mind. It looks like booking SK flight using the EB native award tool are cheaper than any other methods, whether it's SK or LH group metal operating the flights. This also applies the points spend. ZRH-ARN only costs 15K points one way using the EB native award tool on SK flights.
It is not a problem to book SK metal flights using the EuroBonus Star Alliance Award Tool.

40.000 points + 999 SEK

But you shouldn't! Higher taxes and fees, and more points required. See below, same flights booked as EuroBonus award:

30.000 points + 549 SEK

qed
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:56 pm

It is not a problem to book SK metal flights using the EuroBonus Star Alliance Award Tool.
Interesting. They didn't show up when I tried the other day, but today they did. IT I guess.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Don't you guys worry! I'm not plannig to book any of those flights.
After all they'd be a terrible value. But I still was really surprised by the over 100$ taxes on Star Alliance flights charged by Eurobonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.