Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award via phone - 825 SEK service fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Since the Star Alliance Award Tool still is flunky and wasn’t able to send me the confirmation SMS I booked a itinerary Germany-Portugal with connection in MUC over the phone.

the agent quoted about 4.000 SEK for 3 pax in fees and that aligned with my expectations - what the online tool said as well.

but now I saw, I got charged 825 SEK/person Service charge pushing the total to over 5.000 SEK for three traveled. Anybody got a good explanation? I thought as as EBD there shouldn’t be a phone service charge, at least not while their website is broken?

Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: More than one
Are you sure the service fee aren't going to be added later in the process on the web? If not, then i would call them back and complain about the service charge. Not all their agents are aware they shouldn't charge a phone service fee when you are EBD or you can't book the trip through the web.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Cross checked last few bookings and all had a 450 SEK/person service fee.

EDIT:// just wrote to Diamond desk, let's see what they say.

Last edited by fassy; Jun 2, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I thought the point of the last hike of partner award prices was to reduce the fees dramatically, seems not really to be the case, or?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
There shouldn't be any fee for Diamonds:

15/3
"To align all our booking concepts, a service fee* of 375 SEK/NOK/DKK or 40 EUR/USD per person and booking for personal assistance of bookings of Star Alliance award tickets will be implemented from 1 April 2019.

The service fee will only apply when a EuroBonus member has the possibility to book the Star Alliance award tickets online free of charge through our online booking tool but chooses to book via customer service, e.g. phone, chat or e-mail. Exemptions* apply for EuroBonus Diamond members, Unaccompanied minor (UMNR), and infants. It’s always recommended to book flights online, if possible."

https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/offers-and-news/
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Are you sure Diamonds are exempt from the 450 SEK charge? I am Diamond it certainly shows up when i try to book an award flight using the online tool.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
Are you sure Diamonds are exempt from the 450 SEK charge? I am Diamond it certainly shows up when i try to book an award flight using the online tool.
I don't see anyone here talk about exemption from the 450 SEK service fee. The discussion is about the additional 375 SEK phone service fee.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Still didn't get any reply from the Diamond desk. Kind of unusual... in all my previous contacts, they did get back to me within a day or two at least. Perhaps the holidays (ascension day, SE national holiday, Pentecost...)

EDIT:// just talked to SAS on the phone and the agent told me "there is always a phone service charge, also for Diamond members", they only waive the fee when the website doesn't work. Which is now after the fact kind of hard to prove. She said, I have to call back tomorrow, to talk to the same agent which made the reservation to get it sorted out.

This is for the first time a very very poor customer experience from SAS!

Last edited by fassy; Jun 6, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Still didn't get any reply from the Diamond desk. Kind of unusual... in all my previous contacts, they did get back to me within a day or two at least. Perhaps the holidays (ascension day, SE national holiday, Pentecost...)
They are swamped at the moment (strike, public holidays etc. etc. etc.). It's taken them a couple of days to reply to my last 3 e-mails during last week and this week.

EDIT:// just talked to SAS on the phone and the agent told me "there is always a phone service charge, also for Diamond members", they only waive the fee when the website doesn't work. Which is now after the fact kind of hard to prove. She said, I have to call back tomorrow, to talk to the same agent which made the reservation to get it sorted out.

This is for the first time a very very poor customer experience from SAS!
Actually according to the DK website (https://www.sas.dk/eurobonus/medlemsniveauer/), one of the benefits being Diamond at the moment is that you pay service fees (" Du betaler gebyrer, når du booker bonusrejser og bruger EuroBonus medlemsservice"). I asks the diamond service desk whether this is a typo, and they confirmed the text is missing a "ikke", but they don't know when the IT department will correct it. Maybe the agent you talked to uses that page as reference for declining the refund.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Actually according to the DK website (https://www.sas.dk/eurobonus/medlemsniveauer/), one of the benefits being Diamond at the moment is that you pay service fees (" Du betaler gebyrer, når du booker bonusrejser og bruger EuroBonus medlemsservice"). I asks the diamond service desk whether this is a typo, and they confirmed the text is missing a "ikke", but they don't know when the IT department will correct it. Maybe the agent you talked to uses that page as reference for declining the refund.
For sure says on the international website as well:
Originally Posted by https://www.flysas.com/gb-en/eurobonus/membership-levels/
Pay no fees for booking award trips using the EuroBonus Membership service.
Will call again tomorrow and insist on getting the fee refunded.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:06 pm

Smile

Please note that on the Danish version it's stated that you should pay the booking fee, but the diamond service desk confirmed earlier today that the English version is correct, and you should not pay the booking fee.

It would be kind of a strange benefit that you had to pay booking fee because you are diamond member, but that's what's stated on the Danish version at the moment.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Actually according to the DK website (https://www.sas.dk/eurobonus/medlemsniveauer/), one of the benefits being Diamond at the moment is that you pay service fees (" Du betaler gebyrer, når du booker bonusrejser og bruger EuroBonus medlemsservice"). I asks the diamond service desk whether this is a typo, and they confirmed the text is missing a "ikke", but they don't know when the IT department will correct it.
It is not as easy as it may sound to fix that. The procedure is as follows: The boss needs to call a meeting (in good notice) where people from IT should discuss (with coffee and rolls) what would be the optimal way to change this. People from HR need also to be present to guarantee that this is done in a non-discriminatory, non-offensive way to non-EBD customers. Yet since in two weeks it's Midsummer, and after that everything shuts down, this issue is too important to be discussed at the last moment and in such a short notice, so it has to be deferred until after summer. That's why it may take some time to fix that.

Originally Posted by https://www.flysas.com/gb-en/eurobon...ership-levels/
Pay no fees for booking award trips using the EuroBonus Membership service.

Please note that on the Danish version it's stated that you should pay the booking fee, but the diamond service desk confirmed earlier today that the English version is correct, and you should not pay the booking fee.

It would be kind of a strange benefit that you had to pay booking fee because you are diamond member, but that's what's stated on the Danish version at the moment.
Exactly. OP can also invoke the benefits stated in their Swedish website:
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Just talked again to SAS. The agent then talked to her supervisor, got back to me and told me I should send in a claim through the feedback form AFTER the trip. When I inquired why, she said, the booking fee will only be removed if they can see I was on the trip as well. Sounds a bit strange, but whatever... as long as I get it back, should be fine. Probably, since canceling the ticket will refund the full ticket costs (besides the 450 SEK service fee) including the 375 SEK phone fee and their system is too stupid to figure out how much to refund...

So make sure, to remind the agent to waive the booking fee for EBD (or a tech issue on their website) before they issue the tickets! Obviously, it can't be done later...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:00 pm

Just talked again to SAS. The agent then talked to her supervisor, got back to me and told me I should send in a claim through the feedback form AFTER the trip. When I inquired why, she said, the booking fee will only be removed if they can see I was on the trip as well. Sounds a bit strange, but whatever... as long as I get it back, should be fine. Probably, since canceling the ticket will refund the full ticket costs (besides the 450 SEK service fee) including the 375 SEK phone fee and their system is too stupid to figure out how much to refund...

So make sure, to remind the agent to waive the booking fee for EBD (or a tech issue on their website) before they issue the tickets! Obviously, it can't be done later...
This is strange. I've never experienced this before.

There should not be an issue with refunding the fees before the first flight. If you change your flight and the new flight is cheaper, you get a refund for the difference immediately. And I've never heard that you will get a refund of the phone booking fee if you cancel your trip.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:05 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Not over the phone, but online:

I was trying to book a one way award flight from Zurich to Stockholm online on with Eurobonus on a Swiss flight.
However, before I finalized the purchase I realized that SAS wants 90 $ for fees?! Excuse me? Buying the ticket directly at the airline is *only* 100 bucks and if I were to take a later flight I'd actually be paying *less* than with the miles ticket. What the hell SAS? Even Miles and More "only" wants 60 bucks for the same flight for taxes and fees.

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 8, 2019 at 5:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.