FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   Is it enough to maximize status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1971330-enough-maximize-status.html)

PacKie Chan May 26, 2019 2:01 am

Is it enough to maximize status?

Is 100,000 SEK (US$10,000) (of my yearly travel budget) enough for max tier status?

fassy May 26, 2019 2:44 am

It is for sure possible to reach EBD with 100.000 kr in spending for flights. 22 times CPH-WAW in Plus for example. At $350 to $400 a trip you won’t even have to look for cheap ones.

the bigger question is? Where are you based, which routes do you fly, how often and in which class of service?

highupinthesky May 26, 2019 3:40 am

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 31139395)
It is for sure possible to reach EBD with 100.000 kr in spending for flights. 22 times CPH-WAW in Plus for example. At $350 to $400 a trip you won’t even have to look for cheap ones.

the bigger question is? Where are you based, which routes do you fly, how often and in which class of service?

Isn't the normal earning rate CPH-WAW 1500 point in plus when you have no status? If we agree on this the calculation would be 30 flights (15 return trips) to reach gold and the additional 25% points, after which you need another 24 flights (12 return trips) to reach Diamond.
That said. It should still be doable with a SEK 100.000 budget, but you need to pick your flights right

To reach the level flying longhaul, you need about 8-14 flights in business at SEK 17.000 - 30.000 per flight depending on your destination.

fassy May 26, 2019 5:07 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31139461)
Isn't the normal earning rate CPH-WAW 1500 point in plus when you have no status? If we agree on this the calculation would be 30 flights (15 return trips) to reach gold and the additional 25% points, after which you need another 24 flights (12 return trips) to reach Diamond.
That said. It should still be doable with a SEK 100.000 budget, but you need to pick your flights right

True, I somehow just thought about 70k status points... since I get the extra 20k for free with the AMEX. After hitting 70k I usually switch over to One World.

SK2751 May 26, 2019 9:38 am

I am able to maintain EBD for about 50.000 dkk a year (using mostly CPH-WAW). I buy GO tickets and upgrade them with plusgrade. If you don't care for points and awards (I don't) then this is cheaper than buying PLUS tickets directly. Basically for 90 000 points that you have to earn you can upgrade 18 segments to PLUS -- so these segments you don't have to pay for a PLUS fare directly.

highupinthesky May 26, 2019 9:57 am

Originally Posted by SK2751 (Post 31140070)
I am able to maintain EBD for about 50.000 dkk a year (using mostly CPH-WAW). I buy GO tickets and upgrade them with plusgrade. If you don't care for points and awards (I don't) then this is cheaper than buying PLUS tickets directly. Basically for 90 000 points that you have to earn you can upgrade 18 segments to PLUS -- so these segments you don't have to pay for a PLUS fare directly.

Please bare in mind that you have status. OP doesn't. Until OP reaches gold, it means e.g. you earn 25% more points on your flight and you have a higher chance of acceptance of your plus upgrade bid. Even as EBD I've had declined upgrade bids. Some because the flight was sold out completely, others I receive a courtesy upgrade or gate upgrade, but here you don't earn any additional points.

Last but not least 50.000 DKK is around 70.000 SEK.

SK2751 May 26, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky (Post 31140111)
Last but not least 50.000 DKK is around 70.000 SEK.

Which is probably the most important thing I forgot. Still I think it is totally doable within the sketched budget (like fassy says), but it depends a lot on travel patterns. If you only do 2-3 long hauls in Y that are bought very last moment on a very expensive day, then it will be hard. Also short haul flights in Y in Europe can easily get you to 4000 DKK per rotation, and if they are GO LIGHT at the same time, then forget the status. So all depends on whether OP can plan in advance, and whether he is on routes that have good point/cost ratio or not.

highupinthesky May 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751 (Post 31140242)
Which is probably the most important thing I forgot. Still I think it is totally doable within the sketched budget (like fassy says), but it depends a lot on travel patterns. If you only do 2-3 long hauls in Y that are bought very last moment on a very expensive day, then it will be hard. Also short haul flights in Y in Europe can easily get you to 4000 DKK per rotation, and if they are GO LIGHT at the same time, then forget the status. So all depends on whether OP can plan in advance, and whether he is on routes that have good point/cost ratio or not.

I think we all agree it's doable, but the flights has to be picked carefully.
Adding credit card etc. to the equation will help, so will private purchase of basic point to reach silver, gold and diamond in case the budget is company budget.

Nick Art May 29, 2019 5:48 am

Gold status: Easily.
Diamond status: Possible.
Pandion status: No.